Honda XRV Forum banner
4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Dilbert 
#1 ·
No doubt some of you will receive a similar email to this soon but I thought I would do my bit and post it here.....

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

Petrol is hitting 107p a litre in some areas now; soon we will be faced with paying 110p a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take anaggressive action to teach them that BUYERS, not sellers, control the market place.

With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... Keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you sendItto at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... And those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... And so on, by the time the

Message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have

Been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLIONPEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE

RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc. I.e. Boycott BP and Esso.

See less See more
#2 ·
Austin,
There is one major flaw in this guy's plan , and that is the way in which the retailers are supplied. eg

Up here in Scotland and a good chunk of Northern England , petrol is supplied from the Grangemouth refinery, all companies get their supplies from there and it is owned and run by - BP !! So BP as a corporation would not suffer from this plan , but perhaps it's retail division and the franchise holders would.

When you drive past the grangemouth refinery there is a constant stream of roadtankers emerging - with BP and Esso and Shell and Tesco and Jet etc etc written on the side.

#4 ·
I drove my Ford Transit out of Glastonbury in the 80s and all four of us in were boycotting Shell because of its links to Apartheid. But when we got within and eggcup's worth of fuel and sitting by the roadside and there was a Shell garage, we all agreed that I was allowed to pull in and refuel.
When my red light come on, I stop at the next garage.

#6 ·
I've seen this before Austin,b but I guess you have too.

Darn, I can feel a fizz coming on and it could hit my pacemaker...

the thing that REALLY upsets me is the massive tax we pay to get to work or visit our friends and family. In a world created by the House of Commons Gods over the last sixty years there's no meaningful public transport so we pay one of the biggest, if not the biggest (?help me out here?) taxes on journeys we have no choice in - work journeys - with money we've already paid tax on. :protest:

What this amazing country and economy does with the fantastic productivity that we, the citizens, earn is still a mystery to me :(

OK, pacemaker still ticking over :thumbright:

#7 ·
Only my tuppence worth but, isn't it worth considering exactly how much a litre of fuel actually costs to make? (ie to buy the oil initially, refine it, distribute it etc etc) How much does the government charge in tax on it compared to what we pay?
Over here, the government charges very little tax on petrol and diesel, as it is classed as an essential, not a luxury as most Euro governments consider. Philippines imports almost 100% of it's oil needs and so is much more suseptable to oil price increases as compared to say Britain that has its own supply, albeit dwindling.
Having said that, although our pump prices have risen sharply over the last year, we still only pay about UKP 0.50/litre.
I have to think that not only are the Oil Co.'s greedy, but also governments too?:confused:

#8 ·
as the fuel producers keep pointing out
they don't have a large profit margin on fuel :confused: how many hundreds of millions did the make last year ?

the bulk of what you pay is taken up in duty and vat :( and i think that out of every pound you spend at the pumps the goverment takes about 70 pence in revenue :mad:

if this is the case then it's goverment that needs to be told :rolleyes:
oh i forgot that's been tried and failed miserably :( a number of times i believe

you could always vote them out of office and hope that the next lot will have a sympathetic ear to the peoples concerns over this :thumb:

there's a major flaw in that as well
it don't matter who you vote for
the goverment always gets elected back in :rolleyes::rolleyes:

the sorry fact is as a nation were to soft and just let the gov sh*t all over us and we stand back and let it happen year after year

a one week national strike by everyone and i do mean everyone would be a start.... but as a nation can we afford it ?

just have a look at what the french truck drivers and farmers do when they don't like any legislation or increase in taxes by there goverment
they bring the ferry ports and m/way network to a stand still :cool:

i could go on but i won't

:D:D:D:D

one final thought

the breweries are predicting a large rise on duty this year for beer
expect to pay up to £4 at pint by the end of the year...

#12 ·
I need fuel, That is the cheapest pump price in this area, Fill up.
The only time I don't and go to the nearest garage is if I am in an unfamiliar area and need fuel bad then I just go for the nearest.
At the moment the cheapest near me is the ESSO in Forest Hill and the Shell on Stanstead Road.

#13 ·
The goverment should lower the tax.

We all should stick together & do something about it.

Nothing will happen & the price will increase we are F**ked.

This country is going down hill at speed !!!!
To many scroungers, immigrants, ect bleeding us dry!

Who pays all us that work and tow the line. Really p**ses me off :(

#16 ·
3 times, if you count that we're buying it with income that has already been taxed...
:mad:

#17 ·
I dont know about here (in the uk) but in Aus.. they price of fuel is actually mostly TAX, 68.x% of the cost of a litre is TAXES... so we should boycot the government!

#18 ·
I can't help but feel the oil companies are just testing us to see how far they push the prices up until we actually do something about it. Last time the price went up to around the 1£/litre mark there were various boycotts/strikes etc.. but this time....we all...... keep......driving. We may grumble a little but we're still filling up. Meanwhile, you can bet the farm that the oil companies will be reporting record profits (except maybe Total who have just been ordered by the French courts to pay out millions for chartering some rust-bucket tanker that broke up off Brittany and spilled thousands of tons of heavy crude along the coast).

Your wallet is a weapon and in these socio-political times where it's government by the multinationals, for the multinationals, it's one of the few left to the proletariat.

Shep? Any input?

#19 ·
...snip
Your wallet is a weapon and in these socio-political times where it's government by the multinationals, for the multinationals, it's one of the few left to the proletariat.

Shep? Any input?
You know GeoBloke, I think that the late 70s and 80s taught our governments that our wallet is their weapon - keep us busy keeping up, making sure we feel insecure and focused on making ends meet and we don't give them any bother :(

#21 ·
Possibly great idea mate, but is it not our greedy, penny-grabbing, mis-managing government who crucify us by slapping massive duty on the fuel? I may be wrong!:angry5: But I know the garages make very little profit from the sale of fuel.

#22 ·
One of the only things we, as a nation, could do is get out of our cars more. It would never happen but if people walked when they could, car-shared, public transport (yuck), cycled, bought m/cycles (my Accord cage 30mpg or XRV750 60mpg:thumb:, no contest) rode horses, piggy-back or pogo'd then we wouldn't consume as much fuel. The government wouldn't get their ransom duty and would have to lower the taxes to encourage people back into their gas guzzlers. The only reason we're not driving around in solar powered and electric super cars yet is the g men hindering development of transport that would lose them revenue.
Any hoo; nearly the weekend :blob7:

#23 ·
Consider this also.

Heavy Crude was not Drilled until reasontly.
They would pipe the normal Crude off the top and then close down the Drilling.

The reason for this. Heavy Crude costs alot to refine.

So now the price per barrel is high they can afford to refine it.
So alot more rigs have been reopened.

This has effectivly now increased the worlds oil reserves.

#25 ·
Consider this also.

Heavy Crude was not Drilled until reasontly.
They would pipe the normal Crude off the top and then close down the Drilling.

The reason for this. Heavy Crude costs alot to refine.

So now the price per barrel is high they can afford to refine it.
So alot more rigs have been reopened.

This has effectivly now increased the worlds oil reserves.
Sorry just got back from a magic weekend in Cebu, just seen the thread again.:thumbup:
Unfortunately KG, you are slightly incorrect in a couple of respects, the Chinese have been drilling for "heavy crude" for over a thousand years, long before our American cousins ever discovered "Spindletop" etc in "******* Country". You are correct in that heavy crude does cost more to refine. You are incorrect in thinking that the heavier/denser a fluid the easier it is to pump out, which is why the Chinese are buying up all the developing nations oil reserves(eg Sudan, Myanmar etc etc). West Texas Intermediate (WTI) is a very light crude and easy to pump out, which is why it is a "Benchmark Crude", Brent Crude is also a benchmark crude, but is heavier and sells at a slightly lower price, then "Dubai", also a benchmark, heavier still.
The reasons why oil prices have increased over the last 30 years are mainly 2 fold. Firstly and most importantly, Supply and Demand, supply and newly found reserves are decreasing dramatically, demand especially from China and India has increased hugely. I have worked in Exploration Drilling and Development for the last 30 years, before our success ratio when I first started was about 1:6, one good to six dry, the ratio now is around double that.
You will also find that most refineries in the world are at full capacity now, there is a huge shortage in this respect. Governments and Oil Companies whether by fair means or foul, have neglected this aspect of the "downstream" marketing. (Gov't taxation also affects the willingness of Oil Co.'s to invest mega amounts of money, investing in building new refineries).
Secondly, governments have also found that it is much easier to deflect blame for heavy, luxury taxation on all forms of petroleum products away from themselves, by hinting that the Oil Co.'s are to blame.
Ask yourself one simple question, where have all the tax revenues from the North Sea Oil gone over the last 30 years? The "Brew", "Dole", social security and other benefits etc, so why do we pay Nat Insurance etc? Why hasn't social infrastructure (health, roads etc etc) been improved as much respectively? Haven't they sold us out?
Oil reserves in the world have not increased relative to demand, honestly, no matter what all the "tree hugging, dirt eating druids" claim. This is the reason why alot of really nice places (like where I live) are now being explored, precisely because there are no economically/geologically feasible places left to look nowadays. Some examples of this:- In 1964, the labour government commisioned deep water, seismic surveys for subsea minerals around the Falkland Islands, the results of which, are still classified top secret, 20 years later a lot of lives were lost in a war, very far away, why? The Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, are currently claimed by many countries including China, why? (The islands strategically and physically are worthless) The answer surely has to be minerals including oil, black gold underneath. No matter how you feel about it, we need and are tied to oil/gas/petroleum condensate in this modern world for almost everything. IMO it's only how much you are willing to pay for it that separates us.
Dude, I was as unhappy as most of you guys are now, and I voted with my feet. :rolleyes:

#24 ·
Hmmm, this wouldn't be another one of those "tell all your friends" chain emails, where the only result is that some hacker harvests all your email addresses and then flogs them on to spammers, by any chance, maybe, do we think :confused:

#26 ·
Phew Don, deep breath and relax :D

I used to work for a company in Manchester who made the big centrifugal pumps for the North Sea, (seawater injection) now I work for the future, which if you believe the adverts is "Orange" although they neglect to say not only is it bright but it also glows in the dark.

Even if the European governments stop hiding behind the green bush and start building the Nuclear promise, there won't be any new power stations built for twenty years, so for the time being we're stuck with coal and oil, get used to the fact that cheap petrol has gone, there's no way it's gonna get cheaper, just make sure you get your expenses in on time :thumbup: :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.