Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Eggman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm embarking on a trip around the UK coast on Saturday and, just looking at my map along the top of Scotland from John O'Groats to Ullapool (A836, A838, A894, A837 and A835) I'm a bit concerned there's going to be a shortage of petrol stations.

Given I'm not going to get much more than 130 miles from the tank and Google Earth isn't showing many buildings, can anyone who's done this reassure me that I'm not going to be stranded without fuel and possibly no mobile signal?

Thanks!

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
I have done John O Groats to Ullapool, on the North Coast road and there are some fuel stations there. There is one at Durness, I think the furthest I went was 100 miles between stations.

It does get a bit worrying though when you are riding for so long and see no sign of civilization.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was up in that neck of the woods 3 weeks ago in the car, so I hope this helps.

• Petrol stations are not "two a penny" but most of the small villages have one e.g. Tonque and Durness. The trick is to keep the tank full even if it is only half empty.
  • Mobile signal can be erratic especially right up North.
  • Be aware that in places the single track roads have pot holes and gravel.
  • The road from Durness to Ullapool is a great bikers road once you get pass the single track. Sweeping bends and great views. If you are into landscaoe photography stop off at the viewing points.
  • Plan to have some Fish & Chips in Ullapool - they pride themselves on being the best in the UK, although I am sure other places would contest that!
I had never been that far North before and we had good weather which made it even more special. I just wished I had my TA with me rather than the car!

Hope this answers some of your questions.

TM

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
I was up in that neck of the woods 3 weeks ago in the car, so I hope this helps.

• Petrol stations are not "two a penny" but most of the small villages have one e.g. Tonque and Durness. The trick is to keep the tank full even if it is only half empty.
  • Mobile signal can be erratic especially right up North.
  • Be aware that in places the single track roads have pot holes and gravel.
  • The road from Durness to Ullapool is a great bikers road once you get pass the single track. Sweeping bends and great views. If you are into landscaoe photography stop off at the viewing points.
  • Plan to have some Fish & Chips in Ullapool - they pride themselves on being the best in the UK, although I am sure other places would contest that!
I had never been that far North before and we had good weather which made it even more special. I just wished I had my TA with me rather than the car!

Hope this answers some of your questions.

TM

Definately Chips in Ullapool they are the best chips in the world :D

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
And on Sundays up north (Durness etc), a lot of shops and the few petrol stations / pumps aren't open.

Always carry 5ltrs of fuel when doing the top road if your tank range is less than 200 miles.

Just my ramblings,

shuffling off into the sunset now . . . .

Bye

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
Hello

I'm embarking on a trip around the UK coast on Saturday and, just looking at my map along the top of Scotland from John O'Groats to Ullapool (A836, A838, A894, A837 and A835) I'm a bit concerned there's going to be a shortage of petrol stations.

Given I'm not going to get much more than 130 miles from the tank and Google Earth isn't showing many buildings, can anyone who's done this reassure me that I'm not going to be stranded without fuel and possibly no mobile signal?

Thanks!

There is a garage in Durness (not open on Sun), one in Lochinver (but this is away from the main road), next garage is Ullapool - do not miss this one if you are following the coast road!
If stopping at Ullapool - As said the chips are great, best pub is the Arch, two ATMs, if there is no wind you will need mosi spray.

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
Tell you what, as a favour I'll take a ride up there this weekend and check out what's open when. Although knowing me, the route I take may not actually include many tarmac'd roads, just deer tracks and old military roads :D

Right, off to shuffle some paper :(

·
Eggman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys - as always thanks to everyone for the comprehensive and enthused feedback.

Steve, that's well beyond the call of duty and much appreciated. Fully understand if anything crops up and you can't make it.

Cheers

Jason

·
Eggman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice - I made it from John O'Groats to Ullapool with a top-up at Durness. Have to say it was one of the best days of my life and, yes, those chips at Ullapool are pretty special.

If you're interested, by all means take a look at the pics (I did an anti-clockwise lap of the British coast totaling around 3,000 miles):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/haynesworld/collections/72157607058145636/

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Thanks for all the advice - I made it from John O'Groats to Ullapool with a top-up at Durness. Have to say it was one of the best days of my life and, yes, those chips at Ullapool are pretty special.

If you're interested, by all means take a look at the pics (I did an anti-clockwise lap of the British coast totaling around 3,000 miles):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/haynesworld/collections/72157607058145636/
A great photo diary, some fantastic photos in there :thumbup:

·
Eggman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are planning an around the coast trip for next May (it's my 50th) it would be good to get some feed back from you. good luck Al
Hi Al

Bluevfrrider's right - riding south via Applecross is really worthwhile. It takes you over a mountain on a track called "Pass of the Cattle" with an ominous sign telling you it's unpassable during winter. The ride back down through the clouds is one I'll not forget (http://www.flickr.com/photos/haynesworld/2796589266/sizes/l/in/set-72157606942438160/). The highlight, though, was definitely the ride from John O'Groats to Ullapool via Durness - the weather was superb in an otherwise rainy trip and the setting was stunning.

Handy hint if you're camping or parking up on soft ground - take a chopping board with you - it definitely saved a few tears: http://www.flickr.com/photos/haynesworld/2796801413/sizes/l/in/set-72157606942438160/

Good luck - you'll love it!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Haynes mail... I bet you enjoyed yersel... as they roads are tae kill fur.. an the pass o the cattle road down fae Applecross...what a road yer frightened tae blink eh !!!!..aye ave been up there a few times allalong the top an up an down the west,,, ave been up an down the east rd to but its nowhere as nice as the west coast........am glad ye enjoyed it... am goin up there masel in around 2 weeks...wi ma pal an ma van Campin fur a few days.... cant wait... the best biking roads in Britian ad say easily. eh !!!!! .afk

·
Eggman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks AFK40! You're lucky to live that way - your definitely in for a good weekend! I'd say the highlight of the East coast for me was the winding cliff top road around and just north of the Dornoch Firth - stunning with a blue sky.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you honestly worry that Scotland is so uncivilized so as not to offer petrol at reasonable intervals or that - shock horror - your mobile may be u/s, then perhaps it is not the place for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts