Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there's mixed opinion about chopping up 'perfectly good' bikes, and, in the process wrecking their real world usefulness. But, each to their own, I've had a lot of fun fettling this bike. Thought I'd share the result . . .

This bike was a standard '99 NX650 with tatty bodywork and a few mechanical problems. I bought it a couple of years ago with a view to stripping it back to something akin to an old XR600, classic scrambler style bike. A simple, air-cooled basic single but with an electric start. The bike is for recreational use, I only really use it to nip around the back lanes on dry days.

The previous owner had fitted a stainless single sided exhaust, I chopped down the end can (cos it looked ridiculously big) and I added a home-made baffle, which keeps the noise down. The addition of the baffle has actually helped with the bottom end running of the bike, it pulls more strongly than it did with the wide open can. I chose to leave the standard airbox/filter in place it was easier, and it's more functional than a pod filter and I didn't have to faff about trying to fabricate a battery box.

The rear wheel is from a SLR, the original dommie wheel fell apart.
I've just put annakee IIIs on it and they're great.

The original tank is covered in black duct tape for the time being - (I'm deffo not going to be fitting a CG125 tank!)
I like the aesthetic of the original tank/seat/tail light.

The rear subrame assembly is cut down and bolted back on via the seat bolts.
This way I kept the original light and number plate holder, which I think looks okay.

I junked the standard handlebars and fitted high rise protaper fat bars.
The front mudguard is a CRF450 item
The speedo is a cheapo generic item

Hmm, what else? . . .
New brake pads, a braided brake hose,
The headlight is from baja designs.
Simplified switchgear from a yamaha fazer.
A rat's nest of a wiring loom that desperately needs tidying up.
and many, many cable ties.

The bike is a work in progress, I may fit a new shock and paint the tatty frame and tank at some point.

Cheers
Philippo

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Happy days, very similar to mine as it stands.

I'm still to do the rear fender but I like what you've done with yours Phil. I was going to throw a XR rear fender on it, but the supertrap exhaust completely blocks it.

I removed all the clocks and replaced them with a neutral light and Garmin quest 2 for a speedo. (Paid £5.00 for it on eBay) Hooked it up to the side light so it turns on automatically when you fire the bike.

re-routed the CDI, flasher unit and fuse box under the seat

The side panels are just cut out of a recycling box.

One day it will look better but for now I'm having too much fun on it.

Keep cutting them up. :blob7:

IMG_5123.jpg IMG_5122.jpg IMG_5121.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ian,

Ha. Our dommies do look quite similar don't they?!
Maybe I've managed to clean a bit more rust off mine so far ;-)
I had a side panel like yours till just last week. Now I've got a retro plastic numberplate to hide my battery.

The back end mod is easy enough to do.
It shortens the rear quite nicely and uses all the existing parts so doesn't cost a penny - plus it retains an effective mudguard.
You'll need to make an undertray out of scrap plastic to keep road crud off the electrics.
Held on with cable ties is the preferred bodge ;-)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
cool looking bikes lads more my cup of tea than a new aftrica twin :cool: I love the stripped down look it works well on Africa twins and transalp 600's too hears one that has really got my attention I thing it just needs a tidier end can for the look and to give it a bit of a grumble . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k84sRPp-44 the music is completely whack :toothy9:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts