Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any info or experience of using a phone as a satnav on the bike?

Thinking of mounting it, powering it, enclosing it..........

Rickskye

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
I use my Android phone and Google maps all the time for satnav with no problems to date.

I got a 'waterproof' case and ram mount from amazon and mounted it on my bars.

There's some pics on another thread somewhere.

Sent from my HTC Desire S

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I've used my iPhone on the bike in a waterproof case Bike Mount Strictly speaking I didn't use it as a sat nav as in turn by turn instructions because all I wanted it to do was to show a moving OS map as I travelled Download Smartphone GPS App | Free GPS Software for Mobile Phones I did have a route overlaid on the map but I had to look at the screen to see where I needed to go rather than a TomTom type spoken instruction.
I have a 12 volt socket fitted on the bike and I just ran the phone from that, only problem I had was sometimes the screen was hard to see if the sun was shining in the wrong direction.
On the phone I have Navfree installed Navmii/Navfree Latest Satellite Navigation Software for iPhone, iPad and Android and apart from an occasional blip it's almost as good as the TomTom satnav that I had running on an old Sony P910i, I've not used it on the bike yet as I don't have a headset and there is no way that I'd be able to hear it over the engine and wind noise (It's easier if I keep off the beans!)

Edit, the navfree software is good as it has maps stored on the phone rather than having to download it over your cell connection

·
Registered
224 Posts
Been using mine for years, what phone are you thinking of using? it makes a difference whether you use the built in software or you use your data allowance

·
Registered
466 Posts
any phone that has a krusell case with multiadapt and a krusell handlebar mount.

Over the years I have had spv500, spv3100 and now i use a jailbroken ipod touch with tomtom on the same handlebar mount, even in the pissing down rain, the cases are only leather with perspex but the screen and the cover is enough to make it only damp and not enough to get it wet inside. Another advantage of wet case and wet gloves is the touchscreen works without taking your gloves off :)

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Rick, Africa Jim was using a nokia with nuvi maps last year when we went to the Stella. He managed to do it without using data downloading.

Not sure how he got the initial map on the phone though.

Coming to the next National?.......you can get close by Sub. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies, got me thinking.

Phone looks like being galaxy s3 on three network, unlimited data.

Good point about the downloading the maps, would be a problem if you loose phone connection and may be expensive to download abroad.
Have to check the phone memory, I am pretty sure the S3 takes a 64mb microSD, wonder if that is enough to put maps on.
All the reviews of phone sat nav seem to be in portrait mode, can you change to landscape?
I wonder if any of the cases allow power to be connected?

Re national, plans are inplace to go, but I shall just be bringing the bike :)

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
All the reviews of phone sat nav seem to be in portrait mode, can you change to landscape?
Android phones will auto rotate to landscape

I use one of these cases and it has an opening to pass the power cable through, just check if your power is at the bottom or side of the phone as different cases are available to suit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-...91HY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342083913&sr=8-3

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Android phones will auto rotate to landscape

I use one of these cases and it has an opening to pass the power cable through, just check if your power is at the bottom or side of the phone as different cases are available to suit

Waterproof Case for iPhone 4 with RAM 1" Ball for RAM: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Anyone any idea if the iphone one above can take a headphone socket at the same time as the charging lead. (I don't have an iphone but the lad does and I'm no idea where the headphone is)

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Have to check the phone memory, I am pretty sure the S3 takes a 64mb microSD, wonder if that is enough to put maps on.
The maximum size will be 64GB rather than Mb I think. That should be more than enough room to put the maps on (probably including your whole music collection and a few films alongside it too I'd guess).

The navfree software suggested above runs great on my low end t-mobile android phone with a 16GB sd card and still has lots of space to spare so it may fit on whatever storage you already have in the phone. It's free to use and download the maps so might be worth a try if you haven't already.

The tilt sensor on my phone automatically changes between landscape or portrait (in navfree at least) depending which way you hold the phone.

I know you like making things having seen your genius windscreen thingy. Maybe try making one exactly how you want using cornflower, silicone sealant, and a sheet of clear plastic?

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bodgers-corner/81657-oogoo-diy-grommets-other-rubbery-stuff.html

I think this stuff would be a good candidate for waterproofing and ruggedising (is that a word?) a phone or GPS. Don't blame me if it all goes wrong though :)

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
Good point about the downloading the maps, would be a problem if you loose phone connection and may be expensive to download abroad.
You don't have to be very far from "civilisation" for this to be a problem..... bits of SE Wales are like this, usually in the wilds where satnav would be very useful! So yes, software that srores the maps on the phone is good.... and the maps aren't huge so even an 8Gb card would be ample, I'm sure.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I use this set up for iphone 4s.

MOTORCYCLE BATTERY CHARGER CASE MOUNT KIT FOR IPHONE 4 | eBay

I have a waterproof DIN and power socket on the bars.

You can access the headphone socket by removing a rubber grommet.

I use 'nav free' application downloaded from itunes, it's free but can upgrade with speed camera locations.

Hope this helps:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts