Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  chunkolini 
#1 ·
Alright, I found out yesterday how heavy an @ is to pick up after laying it down because I tried to pull away in the dark with the disk lock on!!!
What is the technique for picking one up off the floor?, I am no light weight but I needed help.:mad:

#2 ·
If the bike is lying on its left side put steering to full right lock, in first gear to stop it rolling as you lift it. Stand on the left of the bile facing the left handlebar grip, both hands on the grip (the end of the bars provide maximum leverage) and lift.
Reverse if bike is on its right side.
Thats the way that works for me.

#4 ·
how did you feel when you tried to pull away with disk lock on.....? I felt like an idiot (twice in 7 years) but was lucky enough not to drop it......:D

#5 ·
Any damage to the brake disc?

Last time I pulled a stunt like that (with a U lock though!) I didn't go over but did need a new rear wheel. :(

Another technique is to turn the bars the other way (left side down, turn left) and then put your back against the seat, grab hold of bars and something else, and use your legs to lift.

Like this:

(Crappy pic but gets the point across I think.)

Do make sure to not push it over on the other side though! :)

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips, Top ti is not to try pulling off with the disk lock still on. As far as I can see no damage to the disk, curly thingy fitted to the lock just didn't see it as it was so dark. I felt and will feel a right dick head as I did this at the bike club meeting and am probably now in the running for the plumb of the year award!! luckily the car park had emptied but was still full of committee members to tell the tale. Oh well not the first time I have made a complete tool of myself:)

#11 ·
Slight refinement on Travellers technique.
In a previous existance I was trained as an instructor in moving and handling.
Step one. Unlock your shoulders. Sounds weird but try this.
Reach out in front of you, both sets of fingers meet in the middle.
Then with your right arm down by your side, bring your shoulder up nearly to your ear, then reach forward with a rotating action around the shoulder.
Then bring your left hand up to meet your right using a normal reaching action, two inches more reach on your right arm. Very odd.
So back to the bike. Do the above action with both arms.
The steering to lock as described above.
Feet either side of the bar nearest the floor, and a few inches back from the bar end.
Bend knees,
take the bars in both hands.
Straighten your back, (very important, legs are for lifting backs aint)
Look upwards, relax, take a breath.
Straighten legs smoothly.
The bike comes up fairly easily, just dont stand up too fast and chuck it over the other side.
Do the practice movements first.
I was trained to teach handling people. When I dropped my BMW R1100RS I used the same tactics and up it popped.
There is a bit of confidence involved, say to the bike if you like 'You will bloody stand up'.
Be smooth and relaxed.
Chunko'.

#15 ·
Hi Stubbsie, he dropped the bike, but the headlamps were un damaged :D

#13 ·
Building on travellers technique
If the bike is lying on its left side put steering to full right lock, in first gear to stop it rolling as you lift it. Stand on the left of the bie facing the left handlebar grip, both hands on the grip (the end of the bars provide maximum leverage) and lift.
Reverse if bike is on its right side.
Thats the way that works for me.
A good start.

In a previous existance I was trained as a moving and handling instructor.
Hurting your back is a more than a ball ache.

First thing is to unlock your spine.
Sounds weird. Try this.
Reach out in front of yourself with both arms. Your fingers meet in the middle.
Hands by your sides, rotate your right shoulder, drop it down then go round in a circle towards the front with it almost touching your ear at the top.
Repeat the exercise above, you get about 2 more inches reach on your right arm. Weird.
(just tried this on myself and it still works, did not work on wifey)
Do this with both arms.
Stand beside the bike.
Feet either side of the handlebar, a few inches back from it.
Bend your knees, take hold of the bar with both hands.
Get your back straight and verticle (very important, backs are not for lifting, legs and arms do that).
Breathe.
Look up, then straighten legs.
Up comes the bike, be ready to stop it going over the other way.
Easy peasy ish
I did this on my BMW R1100RS and was shocked by how easily it came back up.

#17 ·
TRF rules for when someone drops their bike:
1. laugh
2. take photos (so others can laugh later)
3. help them pick it up

I am reasonably experienced in this field:rolleyes:. The easiest thing it so get help, obviously.

On my own I find the back to the bike method works but I have seen others - who I assume have had even more practice than me;) - pick up bikes alone facing them.

In Italy (offroad in the dry) I managed to pick my bike up alone twice in the space of a few minutes. Twice is about all I reckon I could manage in a day without help. In wet, slippery conditions, possibly not even once.

#19 ·
Never dropped my AT, but it surely can't be as bad as a fully loaded GS1150 and I did that myself.

Fortunately no witnesses, so this could all be hearsay? :blob8:

#20 ·
Maybe an idea for a disclock reminder: Some sort of plastic thingummy (technical term) that you can stick in the ignition instead of a key. That gets in the way a bit more than a curly cable, so should be a good reminder.

Or get a bit of tubing that fits around your key. Stick it on the ignition key when you're putting the disc lock on, then when you get back to the bike you either take the lock off and move the tube to the lock key or are stumped why there's a bit of tube on your ignition key. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.