Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I purchased a 1976 XL 250 recently, and it came with two engines, neither of them complete. I've been working on the 1972 engine, as it is in better and more complete condition. It was missing some covers, such as the valve adjustment covers and the alternator cover. I'm currently researching this curious hole located to the right of the points timing advance. I can see a threaded hole in the back of the small chamber, indicating that something ought to thread into place, covering this hole. I found a picture online of a similar XL, showing this side of the engine, and it looks like this hole is covered by a washer with a bolt through the middle holding it in place. I've looked at OEM diagrams online and I have not been able to identify part numbers of the component(s) that belongs in this spot. Any help/additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

IMG_7299.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could certainly be something like that. In the image below, found online, it looks like the wiring to the points-advancer passes right by that location. You can see what appears to be a washer held in place to cover that hole.

Image01.JPG

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I think the bolt that holds the top of the cam chain tensioner guide normally lives there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's it! I looked through a bunch of the OEM diagrams, but I didn't do a good enough job visualizing what components passed through the cylinder housing and would be anchored at that point. I appreciate the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts