Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boris,
At the risk of hijacking this thread again, which way, and when are you going down to Piel Island. Perhaps we could meet up and run down together. :)

Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Re: Anyone near Inverurie?

Boris,
At the risk of hijacking this thread again, which way, and when are you going down to Piel Island. Perhaps we could meet up and run down together. :)
Andy.
My plan was to take the Moffat road and stay off the motorway as much as possible but the A7 would do just as well. If you fancy we can meet the southern lot at Clapperside (point C on this map) and do the Hardknot pass together. Depending on time we could even go via Hawick, Newcastleton and a cuppa at the Hartside cafe (E). That way we miss all the motorways.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts

...almost the route I was planning, except for taking the B6399 from Hawick south...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

mmmm could do the A93 down from Alford to Perth, then to auld recccchie and tie up with you guys... no firm plans but jim is heading down too though about an over night Friday in Ambleside ish.. as easy:D as you well know :rolleyes:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If you guys are going down on the Friday that lets me out, I have already asked and I can not get the day off. :(
Guess I will make my own way on the Saturday to one or other of the meeting points.

Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

If you guys are going down on the Friday that lets me out, I have already asked and I can not get the day off. :(
Guess I will make my own way on the Saturday to one or other of the meeting points.

Andy.
I don't think I will be going till Saturday morning. Why don't the north guys have a night (rough) camping in the borders somewhere and then we can hook up in the morning. Brunch at Newcastleton or the Hartside cafe

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had better check whether the cafe in Newcastleton is open at this time of year. Another thought is to nip down the M6 to Penrith for food at the Red Rooster and then down through the lakes. I don't like motorways either but it's only 20 mins from Carlisle to Penrith. :thumbup:

Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

not a good Spot that - it's not much more than a particularly nasty junction on a corner there. I will have a run up soon and let you know where is best to pick us up en route.
Thanks Austin. It would be useful if where we met had a cafe, burger/Ice cream van or pub as the chances of us all arriving at the same time are slim to none. Can you also recommend an eta at the meeting point when you guys expect to be there and we will attempt to fit our plans round that.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts

Thanks Austin. It would be useful if where we met had a cafe, burger/Ice cream van or pub as the chances of us all arriving at the same time are slim to none. Can you also recommend an eta at the meeting point when you guys expect to be there and we will attempt to fit our plans round that.
Will do. The best place will be the east side of the Windermere ferry if we go that way. If we don't we will going through Ambleside anyway and will Find another unmissable rendezvous.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

I don't think I will be going till Saturday morning. Why don't the north guys have a night (rough) camping in the borders somewhere and then we can hook up in the morning. Brunch at Newcastleton or the Hartside cafe

When are you thinking leaving Edn on the Sat?
I would be up for meeting up I will be coming from the Kingdom :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

When are you thinking leaving Edn on the Sat?
I would be up for meeting up I will be coming from the Kingdom :cool:
Dunno. Once we find out the meeting place and time I'd work back from that but I'll suggest it will be quite early (8 ish?)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Dunno. Once we find out the meeting place and time I'd work back from that but I'll suggest it will be quite early (8 ish?)
I would have to leave at 5 :D so I will hammer down to the northern lakes on the friday :) ambleside on friday night :Danyone :D

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts

I would have to leave at 5 :D so I will hammer down to the northern lakes on the friday :) ambleside on friday night :Danyone :D
yup :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Will contact you nearer the time - I will have a chat with Jim and get the craic.

Work , of course, may get in the way, but I don't think so :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've not had confirmation of time off as I've already booked the week at beginning of April for the Oban trip. :rolleyes:
But, I am confident I'll get it off, was hoping to get the Friday and Monday off, meet Lowflyer and Raymo on Friday a.m and toddle down to borders, camp for the night then on to meet Boris and Alba on the Saturday. Back across on the Sunday, camp again borders and back up the road Monday.
These were only sketchy ideas though, open to alteration to suit everyone else. Open to suggestions?
I'll confirm time off beginning of the week guys. (Corner my boss!)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I've not had confirmation of time off as I've already booked the week at beginning of April for the Oban trip. :rolleyes:
But, I am confident I'll get it off, was hoping to get the Friday and Monday off, meet Lowflyer and Raymo on Friday a.m and toddle down to borders, camp for the night then on to meet Boris and Alba on the Saturday. Back across on the Sunday, camp again borders and back up the road Monday.
These were only sketchy ideas though, open to alteration to suit everyone else. Open to suggestions?
I'll confirm time off beginning of the week guys. (Corner my boss!)

mm forgot about oban think its easter week end?? got a pass as long as I am back for sunday lunch :)

anyway.. John. ( still got two pannier rails for you ) and Jim.. will drift southward and am flexible we could alway go via Durness on the Friday :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Has a meeting place with the southern contingent been identified ??

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts

Has a meeting place with the southern contingent been identified ??
As before, the best place will be at the Eastern (or Western) side of the Windermere ferry. This is about 5 miles from Ambleside in Bowness on WIndermere and being signposted is very easy to find. Equally easy if you are coming down from Pooley Bridge or from M6 at J36. There is shelter, loos, cafe's, butty vans etc here. We should arrive there at about 10.30am. If we are lucky we will be straight in the ferry, worst case is we need 2-ferries worth to cross which will mean about a 30-40minute delay.

I did look for somewhere else closer to Ambleside along the route, but there's nowhere really suitable - narrow roads, limited lay-bys, and definitely no butty vans (this is a National Park for chrissake).

See you at the ferry.

Oh and keep an eye on the Carnforth Truck Haven thread - could be an option for somewhere to stay if the room rates are cheap..... what good timing just got an email ...... standard charges are £30 per room single occupancy or £40 per room shared. It doesn't include breakfast (£4.70) in the cafe

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Right.... Pay attention at the back.

I've put together a google thingy showing route and timings for Alba, Outrunner and myself. The rest of the Scottish mob are, I believe, coming down the day before and are camping somewhere in the Borders.

Piel Island. Meet the Sassenachs - Google Maps

If anyone else wants to join in modify the route (and timings) to suit. You should all be able to edit as long as you have a google account.

ps Clearly I don't live in the middle of a roundabout but I am close by. We can firm up addresses and meeting places nearer the time.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Just realised the timings I have are wrong as the rest aren't even leaving the truckstop till 10am.

Austin, What time do you reckon you will be at the Hawkshead Ferry?

EDIT

OK OK I should try harder. I hadn't realised the first leg from the truck haven to the ferry was only 30 mins

Timings are correct.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts