Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Piel island - lunch in Broughton on Furness

EDIT 16th April 2010
There is a significant change of plan now.

The cafe have just today declined the opportunity to feed us all so instead we will be rendezvousing at the High Cross Inn on the outskirts of Broughton in Furness at the junction of the A595, the A593 and Church Street, Broughton in Furness. The deal remains basically the same - £5 fixed charge for lunch of home baked Meat and Potato pie with red cabbage, and mushy peas (for those down south this is fairly traditional northern fare to feed a big group). There will a vegetarian option - something like 3 bean lasagne. The village about a 10 minute walk away, or 30 seconds by bike.

Be warned, there is no cashpoint in Broughton in Furness

There is a small biker friendly cafe in Broughton in Furness that I was planning to stop at after we have been over the lake district passes or as a rendezvous for anyone who can't make the main ride. There is only about 20 to 25 covers and a diddy kitchen. They will not be able to serve 30 to 40 of us unless we have arranged things in advance. There are a couple of other places in broughton and a shop but not much. It's a village not a town.

I spoke to the cafe today and they are prepared to do something special for us but i don't know what yet. I suggested that we keep it simple, limited choice, and priced in nice round sums, like a fiver.

Purpose of this thread is to gauge opinion on this:
do we do it?
What food?
How much are you prepared to pay?

I suggested chilli, or lasagne/veg lasagne which they thought would be ok. Other possible would soup and a sandwich, plates of chips. I will email them tomorrow and make some suggestions but they will need to know numbers and I will form a view on what to have based on this thread.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
lancashire hotpot with spring lamb, and red cabbage, hhuummmm. Oh,and an apple fo' veggies

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Purpose of this thread is to gauge opinion on this:
do we do it? YES
What food? Burgers, minute steaks, hot dogs, pasta, fish, pork pies etc coffee, tea in big mugs (no chips thinking of my weight :rolleyes:)
How much are you prepared to pay? £5 ish
Will be good to get something hot before I cook me own dinner on the island :thumbright:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I am up for that - something veggie for me please.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey Mike howd ya want yer OWT fried or boiled:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Don't mind either way, it's a local west Cumbrian delicacy, quite often accompanied by 'sommat' Would sir care to try some ???? :thumbup:
We were brought up on sommat un nowt so OWT is a bit special fut likes er me :D:D:D wer abouts in Cumbria ye from:D
Phil

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Love it ........... see you at Piel Island:thumbleft:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke to the lady in the Cafe again today. She is up for this but may struggle if number get as high as 50.

CAN YOU LET ME KNOW VIA THE DEFINITIVE LIST THREAD IF YOU WANT LUNCH AT THE CAFE IN BROUGHTON. I have to let her know by 15th April what the numbers are.

£5 per head is looking good, but she wants to do a chilli - can't cope with a Hotpot for that many. If numbers go over 40 she may have share the opportunity with a pub - there 3.

Oh, one other thing I discovered today. THERE'S NO CASHPOINT IN BROUGHTON.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Realy want to do the cafe Austin but can,t confirm:( so i,ll use the pub there and leave my cafe space open for someone elses defo... booking:thumbright:
Phil

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Realy want to do the cafe Austin but can,t confirm:( so i,ll use the pub there and leave my cafe space open for someone elses defo... booking:thumbright:
Phil
It's not about "booking" just about indicating numbers. I am putting you down on the list. From what I can remembe. About your travel plans you will have loads of time to make it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cheers Austin you,re a star:thumbup:
Phil

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
hi Austin,

think I saod I would not take lunch at broughton, my inner hobbit says LUNCH so if its not to late can I add my name to the list

cheers

Ray

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi Austin,

think I saod I would not take lunch at broughton, my inner hobbit says LUNCH so if its not to late can I add my name to the list

cheers

Ray
You're in, as is the rest of the northern/Pictish contingent

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I am updating the three main threads about Piel Island with the same information

There is a significant change of plan now.

The cafe have just today declined the opportunity to feed us all so instead we will be rendezvousing at the High Cross Inn on the outskirts of Broughton in Furness at the junction of the A595, the A593 and Church Street, Broughton in Furness. The deal remains basically the same - £5 fixed charge for lunch of home baked Meat and Potato pie with red cabbage, and mushy peas (for those down south this is fairly traditional northern fare to feed a big group). There will a vegetarian option - something like 3 bean lasagne. The village about a 10 minute walk away, or 30 seconds by bike.

Its point A on the map (you might need to scroll a bit west (left) as I can't make it line up properly A593 - Google Maps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts