Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Anyone want to join me on a recce for Piel Island.

I need to ride the proposed ride out route to (a) make sure I know the way (b) check the timing to be sure we can get round and be in time to meet the tractor for crossing the sands and (c) identify any pick up points for people joing us en-route, eg the Scottish Contingent.

I suggest Easter Monday. Meet at 9.30 for a 10 departure at the Carnforth Truckstop to ride the route except we can't ride across the sands. Instead, if we have time we can take the ferry across to the Island for a sneak preview and so I can cover the final details of the trip with the pub.

If its pi**ing down I ain't going the whole way - Wrynose and Hardnott will be ****e in the rain and instead we will go more or less direct to Barrow and Piel Island.

Reply in the North West Posse social group please

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
sounds good, will confirm asap.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
new bearings in, so weather permitting yes! meet in Preston? or burger van A6 broughton...

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can we meet at the truckstop off junction 35 M6? Or you could call in at mine - Garstang just off the A6

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Austin, PM sent...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Easter Sunday meant to be good weather, Monday not so good! just a thought, if its bucketing it down may not bother, generally i can take a day whenever i wish, but... still up for Monday if its errrmmm UK weather :happy6:mad::happy6:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok mate, understood. I am going anyway and will see anyone else who is coming at the services

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Austin Foz,

is this now a Sunday or Monday reccy :confused: ?

I'm ok for Sunday, Working Monday.

What time at Carnforth TS?

Big Dave

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This meet / ride is looking decidedly iffy now. There's 4 of us interested :me, foz1969, xt6, and big dave. At one time or another the weather has been mentioned as a good reason not to go and the forecast is pretty crap for tomorrow. You should all have my phone number so text me if you are going or not and I can liase with the rest.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In the end 5 of us made this rideout. Me, foz, XT6 and big dave met at Carnforth Truckhaven services. It was absolutely hissing down. We span out the coffees watching the rain falling in sheets across the vast lorry park until at 10.30 it magically eased off and stopped. The rain never really started again:D

we followed the ride out route completely along roads that were streaming with water running off the fields and fell sides including several big floods about 12 inches deep. There was very little traffic and despite the wet roads kept up a decent pace. Wrynose and Hardknott passes had the added bonus of some extremely unpredictable valley winds almost blowing us off the road at times. We stopped at the roman fort in the wind and mist reflecting on how much more exilarating it is to do it on a bike than in a car in conditions like it was. We met mikethebike at Broughton. Mike had the cleanest AT you will ever see. We then followed mike into barrow to check out some possible rendevous - see main thread. Then onto Roa island where we were disappointed to find that the weather meant the little ferry onto Piel island wasn't running so we couldn't complete the full recce.

What did we fnd out?

The truckhaven is a good rendezvous but if 30-40 of us turn up at once they will struggle with cooking breakfasts. They will put on extra staff if we want lots of breakfasts - I will put someting in the main thread about this.

The ferry across windermere will try and fit us all on the boat in one go. It's £1.50 per bike.

Getting big group up Hardknott pass will be dfficult without an incident of some sort developing requiring someone to have to stop on one of the supersteep super sharp corners and dropping their bike. Suggest we split into smaller groups and reconvene at the woolpack inn on the other side. Otherwise the route is good for time with a couple of short stops.

The cafe in broughton is small but is prepared to do a special for us. I will be emailing them later and will propose something like soup and sandwich with tea or coffee for £5.00, or chilli, or veg lasagne, big plates of chips. The more the same we can make it the easier and quicker it will be served and if it's just a fiver it easy to work out costs. When I know more I will put up a thread.

If anyone is planning to cross to piel on the ferry there is a small risk you won't be able to come back if the weather turns bad overnight.

Piel island looked spectacular in the wind and weather. I walked out along the track for the first 200 yards. It's hard packed stone with a layer of tidal mud but plenty of grip. It's also a bit rutted for the first bit and you will need to be in the ruts. They are wider than normal green lane ruts and it's short so no problem. After that it opens out onto hard packed sand. This is going to be brill!!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
well done guys.. some trip looking forward to this :blob:

Austin I will be in the northern posse so will meet in the lakes// detail later once firmed up .

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
459 Posts
Had a great day meeting some of the lads (names to faces), Cafe at broughton looked good. Wish id done hardnott now :(. Nice pics Andy. Ive just finished cleaning the bike ha ha :D See you all again in 3 wks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
great day, and Mrs Weather was fair!!! Hard knot pass... hhmm will it be Hard for you? or just Knot Pass!!! only joking.. piece of pss, without other traffic.
Saying that, I believe that... + pillion will require errrm how can I put it.... able rider.
:(

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
great day, and Mrs Weather was fair!!! Hard knot pass... hhmm will it be Hard for you? or just Knot Pass!!! only joking.. piece of pss, without other traffic.
Saying that, I believe that... + pillion will require errrm how can I put it.... able rider.
:(
And not forgetting to tell them to lean forward and not lounge back over the topbox when going up the steeper bits. I had the front wheel of the Varadero in the air going round a steeper hairpin. Not something I would recommend when sporting a hangover.

"Oh was I not meant to lean back" were her words once I had stopped shaking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts