Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi AT friends, would apreciate your help again :)

I will get a top end engine job done in Malaysia soon. Hopefully just change of pistons rings, but who knows when opening..
My mechanic (Sunny cycle in Kuala Lumpur) says i might also need a slightly bigger piston. He says you can get pistons only a little oversized , where you (might) not need a new bore. He says standard Honda pistons need a new bore (to big).

Are these oversized pistons from cmsnl.com standard oversize and need a new bore?
PISTON (OS 0.25) product number: 13102MV1305
PISTON (OS 0.50) product number: 13103MV1305

If those above are not right, what are minimum oversize and where can i find and order please?

I would need them in Kuala lumpur, so any suggestions to where to order from that ships there?

I have this gasket set and new standard rings/oil seals - anything else I should have with me?
Motor Gasket Set Athena Complete for Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin XRV750 1990-2003

Apparently engine parts for AT's are almost impossible to find in Malaysia, so mechanic asked me to have a connection where i can order pistons fast if needed.

Thanks and happy riding guys :)

2.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just rebuilt my RD07 engine and used the 0.25 oversize pistons from Rugged Roads. They are genuine Honda parts. You need to have the pistons along with you when you deliver your cylinders to the machine shop that will do the cylinder boring so they can accurately measure the bore to match the piston set you have.

Also, it is very important to properly set the ring end gap after the cylinders are bored. The new rings for your new pistons will need the ends filed just slightly to bring them into specification before you install the new pistons with their rings on them. Take your time, and do things correctly, and you will be rewarded with a wonderfully refreshed motorcycle.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just rebuilt my RD07 engine and used the 0.25 oversize pistons from Rugged Roads. They are genuine Honda parts. You need to have the pistons along with you when you deliver your cylinders to the machine shop that will do the cylinder boring so they can accurately measure the bore to match the piston set you have.

Also, it is very important to properly set the ring end gap after the cylinders are bored. The new rings for your new pistons will need the ends filed just slightly to bring them into specification before you install the new pistons with their rings on them. Take your time, and do things correctly, and you will be rewarded with a wonderfully refreshed motorcycle.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Thanks mate, I hope that i dont need to change pistons and have e new bore. Sounds like the needed coating inside the new bore is almost impossible to get done in Malaysia..
But if I have to i will take your advice. Cheers :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Africa Twin does not have a special coating in the cylinders. Any good, reputable engine machine shop should be able to perform the work relatively cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Africa Twin does not have a special coating in the cylinders. Any good, reputable engine machine shop should be able to perform the work relatively cheap.
Great! Thats really valuable to know if i need a new bore. Strange my experienced mechanic in Kuala Lumpur doesn't know that.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Make sure to get your engine man to hone the bore with the correct stone that suits your ring material and get the piston to bore clearance right. A miss match will cause oil burning as the rings wont bed in :thumbup:.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure to get your engine man to hone the bore with the correct stone that suits your ring material and get the piston to bore clearance right. A miss match will cause oil burning as the rings wont bed in :thumbup:.
Thanks mate, but i dont know what the "correct stone" is - my new rings are OEM parts.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just depends on bore coating and generally what the rings are made off ... if there all cast iron IE normal old school stuff a good engine company should know ... (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts