Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best type of piston ring compressor to use when I put my cylinder back on my dominator?
Is it better to fit the piston first then slide the cylinder over it or place the piston in the bore and fiddle around underneath connecting the piston to the con rod?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
What is the best type of piston ring compressor to use when I put my cylinder back on my dominator?
Is it better to fit the piston first then slide the cylinder over it or place the piston in the bore and fiddle around underneath connecting the piston to the con rod?
If i remember correctly when i did mine on my Xr i fitted the piston and rings then had a mate slowly slide the cylinder down over the piston. I would squeeze one ring at a time in by hand hand then he would tap the cylinder down quietly to cover that ring then i would squeeze the second ring in and the process repeated until it was finished

·
Registered
942 Posts
when i did mine i fitted the piston into the barrell,with the circlip fitted into one side of the piston ,then lowered the barrell with the piston in it onto the con rod,
pushed the pin through and fitted the other circlip,then pushed the barrell all the way down,
easy enough to do on your own,and a lot less tricky than trying to support the barrell whilst getting the rings pushed in

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dont the oil rings complicate things as they are composed of three seperate rings and I imagine being a hassle to get into the piston groove?
I tried to put the oil ring back on the Honda piston and it was all over the place, doing my head in and with me having an eyesight problem and all, wasnt fun.:(
I will revoke my teenage sons xbox/computer and phone privilages for the day and twist his arm into giving me a hand with it in return I will teach him how to bleed the brakes on his moped.
Aint kids useful:blob:lol?

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Fingers, they're the best.
Nick in Brum does it the same way as me, piston from the top, push it down and attach gudgeon and clips below.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know this is probably a stock photo but there seems to be alot less to the piston and it looks kinda sexy,I must be getting weird in my old age.

$(KGrHqR,!o!F!Mn7czgpBQU7Qius9!~~60_12.JPG

I am looking forward to getting shut of the Honda piston (perfectly good piston) and putting this in and enjoying riding the bike before my son cadges it off me when he gets his bike licence in about 4 years time.
Just hope the Danish customs dont get nosey and believe the declaration that it is a free sample worth only $25.

·
Registered
367 Posts
that looks like a well trick piston. doesnt a piston need some "meat" around the skirt to keep it stable in the barrel? i'n not telling wiseco how to build pistons because what i know about pistons weigh less than a gudgeon circlip but i would like to know how it works as i've seen other hi- perf pistons and they are built the same. i bet it weighs half the original piston.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Its not high performance as such as its standard compression and I believe it weighs about 300 grams so it might let the engine spin better
I dont know of anyone who put one into a dominator but the XR 650 boys in the states use em and they thrash their bikes in the desert and stuff so why not give it a shot, I will keep you informed as to how it works if I can remember how to put my engine back together without a Haynes or Clymer manual.
I intend to keep the original piston for an ashtray or incase I blow my engine up.......;o)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts