Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just had a new front tyre put on and the guy commented that the front forks were a lot more pitted than he'd expect for a bike thats only a year and a half old. He said I should get em replaced under warranty...

Anyone else had this problem on a 700? Bike's done just over 21,000 miles.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi All,

Just had a new front tyre put on and the guy commented that the front forks were a lot more pitted than he'd expect for a bike thats only a year and a half old. He said I should get em replaced under warranty...

Anyone else had this problem on a 700? Bike's done just over 21,000 miles.
If you are talking the sliders? and they have seen any salt I think you will be struggling there, but best of luck if you do claim.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Take it to your local dealer and query it.
If they are indeed failing after such a short time they may well get replaced under warranty, no harm in trying is there.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Popped into Honda, Reading this morning and they agree that the fork tubes (shiny bits at the top) are corroded and will replace them under warranty! Result! :D

Anyone know of aftermarket fork gaiters for a 700 that I can get them to fit at the same time? :confused:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Popped into Honda, Reading this morning and they agree that the fork tubes (shiny bits at the top) are corroded and will replace them under warranty! Result! :D

QUOTE]

that is a good result,but knackered after only 18 months? what happened to Honda build quality?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 700 is about the same age and the forks are fine, despite riding it through last winter. I've never owned a bike where the forks have become pitted at all. One trick I learnt a long time ago was to spray some WD40 on a clean rag after you've washed the bike and rub it lightly on the sliders. This not only protects them, but also keeps the seals supple. It might look a bit mucky if you use too much, and don't spray it directly onto the forks, they'l look like the seals have gone after that. ;)
Another thing I always do is wipe down the sliders after riding in the rain, rather than letting them dry naturally. A clean tea towel is good for this. (Warning: Can cause marital strife if the one in the kitchen is used :)).
As for forks gaiters, my dealer told me Honda don't reccomend or make them on the TA now, as modern fork construction makes their use more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
897 Posts
[QUOTE
As for forks gaiters, my dealer told me Honda don't reccomend or make them on the TA now, as modern fork construction makes their use more trouble than they're worth.

Car'nt imagine what the dealer meant by this -------- I can only assume that he meant the fork stantions would last too long!:lol:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know what diameter of the fork tubes is? Don't care if they are a pain (they were fine on my 600) it's better than a new front end!

·
Womble
180 Posts
I got my forks swapped by the dealer after the first winter for corrosion on the sliders and about 13K miles.

Not sure whether the replacements are any better, ask me in March... :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I got my forks swapped by the dealer after the first winter for corrosion on the sliders and about 13K miles.

Not sure whether the replacements are any better, ask me in March... :)
Well thats OK Orinoco but will they swap them again if need be?
Id'e get some gaitors on now if I were you, Iv'e had a couple of bikes
in the past with bare stantions but even in the best weather they are going to suffer, it only takes one flying pebble chip on the seal area and the jobs knakkered.
Bare stantions are just an EXPENSIVE styling exercise! with gaitors fitted they will last indefinatly.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Must correct myself here Nareef Iv'e only got spec. up to transalp 650.
Oh well thanks for looking, I'll see if my dad has some callipers I can measure the tubes with.

·
Womble
180 Posts
Well thats OK Orinoco but will they swap them again if need be?

<..SNIP..>

with gaitors fitted they will last indefinatly.
On the first point, who knows.....

On the second point, the gaitors will trap moisture and be a great breeding ground for rust that you wouldn't ever see, so in ideal conditions I'd agree, but in reality I would doubt it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The problem with the gators is people do not check under them frequently enough so they miss the telltale signs of seal failure.
If they are inspected often the seals and forks last a long time, use WD40 under the gators to repel water.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The problem with the gators is people do not check under them frequently enough so they miss the telltale signs of seal failure.
If they are inspected often the seals and forks last a long time, use WD40 under the gators to repel water.
Yea this is all you need do i.e. service them like you would service anything else, in over forty years Iv'e seen the benifit of gaitors

1 - 18 of 18 Posts