Honda XRV Forum banner
13K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Austin 
#1 ·
I am struggling to find the time and energy to organise the two events I had said I would do this year. So canvassing for some views.....

Galloway. Always a good event with a tried and tested formula. I have not contacted the forestry or the camp site yet but was thinking about the first weekend in August. This is a bank holiday in Scotland. It would be nice to get 20-25 from here and I could do with commitment to attend to avoid the booking shambles at the campsite from last year and a confusing and changing list of participants with the SFC. I would hope the fee will be about the same, so a tenner each.

Next event is the Pennine Way run. As reminder this was primarily a road run to take in the best of the Pennines and its heritage and culture but with the possibility of taking in a trail or two where allowed and not too far off route. The trails are optional if you don't fancy them.

Start in Derbyshire on a Saturday morning up the spine of England; overnight either at Tan Hill Inn or Takoda Camping, then finish off through Cumbria Durham and Northumberland to finish on Sunday afternoon in Kirk Yetholm. I will organise a campsite, hostel or something somewhere convenient for the Friday and Sunday nights. No charge (I think) and no numbers limit for this one but I will need help with the route and some other logistics.

The problem with the pennine trip is finding a date. I am out the country for May and most of June. Doing it before then is too soon, I don't want it too close to Galloway so July and the rest of August is out. September is the XRV national so September is probably out. So we are now into October which feels perilously late in the year for a ride mainly in the hills.

I could swap the Galloway date and do Pennines in August and Galloway in October.

Finally how does anyone feel about extending invites to other forums? ADV Scotland and or ABR? Some ABR people came last time.

Any views thoughts ideas and offers of help all welcome.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

See less See more
#2 ·
You build it and they will come!

Takoda would be a good stop on the Pennine route

I'd love to do both if possible

As it all started at XRV it would be nice to offer it here first and then extend on numbers - "just my ramblings" as some one would say

#6 ·
Terrible thing to do, but I agree totally with everything Paul has said!!

I would love to say I will help with the Pennines ride, but IAH, I do not know the area worth a damn....

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Austin.
It sounds like you have quite a bit on atm, no doubt stroking & caressing THAT german tractor, planning and prepping for the US trip too.

I'd really look forward to the Pennine trip - is April too early or is it a bit awkward for you?
Galloway, I enjoy but early August falls right on V's birthday....

Happy to assist with planning if you need a hand (but in fairness I'm not a great organiser or mativator!)

I don't have a problem with posting on other forums - unfortunately numbers seem to be dwindling here :(

Phil

Edit: Austin, are you in need of a shipping crate, a couple of em have just been posted up on ukgser free/cheap ;)

sent from my 'phone

#5 ·
As always, I'm interested in Galloway, the Pennines possibly as well. We've camped at Takoda a good few times, always find it a fine site, Paul and Maria are stars!
Fiona and myself will be down there in May for the ABR Boil rally. Nothing planned for April as yet other than possibly Ullapool for a weekend. Also quiet in August so I'll keep an eye on the dates and confirm once they're released.

#7 ·
Problem with is April is I need to get the bike to James Cargo around the 20th ish of the month all packed and ready to go. So the week or two before I need to keep clear for servicing, tyre fitting and final fettling and farkling. I think April is out for me in reality. And Phil thanks for thinking about me but James Cargo has reusable crates although I am probably about the 10th person to pay for it.

And I agree quiet around here sometimes.

#8 ·
And I agree quiet around here sometimes.

Time of year, especially after a long and miserable Winter... ;)

We are not all hardy tuff types, I think of myself of more of a Butterfly, coming out when the roads look a little less icy!!

#11 ·
I thoroughly enjoyed Galway last year and date / family dependant would be interested in the Pennine Way. You do such a thorough job that people will come whenever

#14 ·
I enjoy Galloway, but the Pennines sounds good to me, a nice change, and a few lanes thrown in? Sounds like a hoot to me! ;)

#16 ·
Hi Austin,
I'd love to do the Galloway weekend again & the Pennine weekend sounds just as good. For me, the weekend of the 1st Aug works out fine for either event.
Sounds like the Pennine route would be good in October, especially if non-camping options are available - Danny's Haggs Bank Bunkhouse has both facilities.
Like others, happy to help if I can :)

#17 ·
OK, I am coming to a decision on this but havent done a great lot other than worry about it all so please bear with, but......

Pennine Way on the 2nd/3rd August, ie the first weekend in August. This will start in Derbyshire, overnight in the Kirkby Stephen / Tan Hill inn area and finish in Kirk Yetholm/ Wooler area. I will try and find Hostel and camping accommodation for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. This will primarily be a road ride but if I can get some help from people in the know I will try and add in a few optional trails and try and grade them as to their suitability for fully loaded bikes. The road route is a work in progress but I will try and make sure it takes in the best of the pennines and offers options to enjoy the best of the culture of the North. Its the Derbyshire end that is difficult - getting from Holmfirth to Hebden Bridge is a right PITA. In terms of format of the ride, I am happy to lead a group but will also provide something like a route card and a GPS file with POIs etc.

Galloway Forest Ride on the 27th September ie the last weekend in September. I haven't contacted the forestry yet but I cant see why it wont be OK. I am going to look into a different campsite though and have one in mind that allows fires. Format and route for the forest ride will probably be the same as last year as I certainly enjoyed it.

I will start a couple of new threads shortly when I have some firmer details and where you put your name down and use for general organisational chatter. In the meantime use this thread.

#19 ·
can do galloway but August is out for me :)
ohh and what steve said :)

#26 ·
I'll try and make either, let me know what you need Austin, any money you need from me let me know. I'll do my best to be there.

#27 ·
I'd love to do Galloway again but I can't - I'm at University that weekend

I should be fine for the Pennine Way run

#29 ·
Elle, you have far too much fun :blob7:

Would be good to meet you on the Pennine run

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.