Honda XRV Forum banner

Please Forgive Me.........................

Tags
forgive nex
5K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  FatFergie 
#1 ·
.............................for what I may be about to do or say in the next few weeks.

Today is................................

DAY 1 OF GIVING UP SMOKING

I thought if I let you know it might help me to keep it up.

But I can't promise how bad I'm going to get as I can't use patches or gum or anything......so it's complete cold turkey:D:D:D:D

#2 ·
Go for it Anette, good move, ya food will taste better for a start, oh and with all the money you save you will be able to buy something nice
Merv:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::blob8::blob8:

#5 ·
Good Luck with it Annette.

I was supposed to try again after the longest day but ive now postponed till after the National Road Rally, course after that it will be the Scotish Rally then the National then it will be erm, nearly xmas so might as well wait till the new year again :D:D:D

#8 ·
good luck and i hope you succeed in stopping
the trick is to keep your hands busy...

by day 5 this shouldn't be a problem as you'll probably have them round J's neck

:D:D:D

#10 ·
You know where I am if your grumpy

(hiding behind the sofa :D)
At least I'll know where to find you:D:D:D. I have thought about the NHS thing, but to be honest I'm not the sort of person that could either ring a helpline to say "I fancy a ***" or to join a group session. I know all the reasons I shouldn't smoke and I get really ars*y when people tell me things I already know.

I think I have enough of an incentive to make it this time. :toothy4::toothy4:

#13 ·
What's your incentive?

I was strongly advised (on pain of testicular extraction) to stop smoking when my dearly beloved stopped as she was expecting our darling daughter (now 25).

Not had a single ciggy since and look at me, a more perfect, handsome, intelligent and witty individual it would be hard to find :munky2:

#17 · (Edited)
Very best of luck. I know what you'll be going through because I've done it myself a couple of times now. I've been thinking of having another go at giving up again myself recently as well, though still at the 'this'll be my last pack' stage at the moment (going to get some nicotine patches first this time as I don't think I could go through the cloudy headed feeling again - wasn't so much the cravings that drove me mad the last time but not being able to think as quickly for a while until I got used to being without it). My cousin has just given up and the nicotine patches really seemed to help him, so if you find you're having problems then they may be worth a try (unless there's some health reason you can't have them ofcourse).

I gave up for around 6 to 7 months a couple of years ago, just decided one night I'd had enough, stuck them in a drawer and got myself into a mindset that if I took any from the drawer I was being weak willed, and this seemed to motivate me more than any of the health reasons (being a stubborn git I am!), had gotten over the fuzzy headed feeling after a while, no real cravings left and thought I'd done it for good (even though I missed it still as I do enjoy smoking I wasn't tempted), then it was the day of my CBT, being a bit hyped up and stressed over it all and watching the other guy who was on my cbt with me smoking throughout the day by the end of the day I took a single smoke off him and that was it. Followed by first few nervy rides on my own thinking 'I'll just get a pack of 10 to take on the bike to have the odd one to relax before and after practicing', then it went to 'I'll just have the odd one now and again when I'm not riding just when I really fancy it', to 'I'll just do it socially', to 'oh..no..I'm back to smoking every day and coughing my guts up in the mornings'.

It can be a slippery slope, so if this is your first attempt at it, it's worth keeping that in mind and running through where it might lead when you're tempted by that first cigarette. And if you do give into temptation, try to keep in mind that it doesn't mean you've failed, but just need to grip a bit tighter to stay off that slippery slope (if I hadn't kidded myself that I wasn't slipping it would have been much easier to give up again in those early stages where I was thinking 'I'll just buy a pack for now and then').

I smoked for years without really being addicted, just having the odd one socially, and thought I'd be able to go back to that, but I think once you've got into the habit of smoking a lot regularly it's no longer an option for most people imho. Obviously everyone is different ofcourse, and this is only me, so I don't mean to be patronising but just hoping that happened to me might help if you feel things going the same way so you can recognise it earlier.

Anyway, very best of luck. I hope it works out for you. Once you get over the first couple of months or so then you'll start to feel much better in so many different ways.

Also, if you're suffering from cravings doing some exercise can help as well. I found during those first two to three months I had more energy than I knew what to do with (driven partly by craving I think but largely from just being healthier and not having my energy drained by smoking) and if you exercise when you feel like that it'll help you to sleep better, the adrenaline will help with the cravings a bit, and it'll counteract any weight gain that seems to happen to some people when they give up (I actually lost a stone in the first couple of months as I just couldn't sit still and was exercising every day).

Hope you stick with it and good luck :)

#18 ·
Good Luck and Well Done.
The weekend of the National will be 4 years for me.
I got the flu real bad and every time I lit up and had that puff I was as sick as a dog so I gave up until I was better. That took two weeks then it was try one more week to be sure and that was it.
Three months later I went on my first Holiday in years to Egypt, best time ever.
Now I could not afford to buy a pack as the £60 per week I used to spend on ciggys has been swallowed up by inflation and change of priorities.

#20 ·
Good Luck Annette!!!:thumbup:

I stopped, for about the hundredth time:(, almost exactly seven years ago!!!:D

Crikey, I had incentives, my father-in-law had primary cancer of the lung and secondary in his brain:( After about five or six brain-ops, and a not very pleasant four years, he died. I still smoked well over 30 a day!!!!!

Eventually, after stopping........ by attending courses, hypnotherapy, drugs, patches, threats from my better half and so on, I'd start again, smoking double to catch up:eek:, I realized that I had to stop in my mind:rolleyes:

The day I stopped, I made it clear to myself AND my better half, that if I DID start again, I WOULD enjoy it, I WOULD NOT feel guilty, 'cause I used to stop and the stress and worry that I might start smoking again was the cause of me starting again!!!!!:(:mad::rolleyes:

Phew - a bloody long-winded way to wish you good luck, but Good Luck and don't beat yourself up if you don't get it right this time!!!!!:cool:

#22 ·
.............................for what I may be about to do or say in the next few weeks.

Today is................................

DAY 1 OF GIVING UP SMOKING

I thought if I let you know it might help me to keep it up.

But I can't promise how bad I'm going to get as I can't use patches or gum or anything......so it's complete cold turkey:D:D:D:D
I did it from 40 a day ! its hard but so well worth it :-D Good luck , be strong :thumbup:

Debs

#23 ·
Unfortunately Sharri, no health is often the spur to stop, but often not enough on it's own, like you said though do get support, my brother smoked until only a few years ago (20 years after I gave up) and he used patches to good effect.

Some good suggestions here too and maybe like StumpyFingers said stick the money in a jar and save up to buy yourself a holiday or whatever to give yourself an achievable goal :thumb:

G
#24 ·
My father smoked upto the age of 55, my eldest brother upto the age of 36

Father died of lung cancer at the age of 55 and my brother died of Throat cancer aged 36

Sorry to be so blunt and morbid but is that enough incentive

Kymmy

#27 · (Edited)
My father smoked upto the age of 55, my eldest brother upto the age of 36

Father died of lung cancer at the age of 55 and my brother died of Throat cancer aged 36

Sorry to be so blunt and morbid but is that enough incentive

Kymmy
It should be Kymmy...But you know humans...2 weeks after a near death experience that gives us a new outlook...and we're back moaning and magnifying life's trivia......I dunno why....:confused3:

Know wot I mean...... Kimmy ;) :D

#26 ·
If it's any help Annette.....The last time I packed up...3/4 yars ago...I decided to put aside my *** money every day and when it mounted up I' buy something that I wanted but couldn't normally justify from normal living x's.

It ended up with my Transalp :).

I replaced anything that matched a ciggy with something else.

Morning tea became orange.

Booze (this WAS hard) replaced with Tonic water/ice/lemon for as long as I could stand it .

If I faltered...just start again STRAIGHT AWAY..don't book a future date.

You have to want to do it.

Good luck.....and buy wotever silly unjustifiable cack you want....:cheers: :happy6: :nike:

#31 ·
well done annette if you need a punchbag give us a shout:thumbup:

love a bit of rough n tumble me:D:D:D:D

i gave up about 15yrs ago believe me if you want it enough you will succeed:thumbup:

#32 ·
Everyone has their own reasons,
giving up is the best thing you can do for your self,
be as selfish as you want it is your life,
make the most of it and stop poisoning your body.
If you need help, just ask.
There are enough people with the knowledge that can help.
Stick with it, you can succeed,
Free yourself from the pain of having to stand in the rain just to have a puff,
the no smoking policy will hit every where soon enough.

I would wish you good luck but luck has nothing to do with it
STAY DETERMINED

#33 ·
Incentive;
You maybe bigger than Me, but if I catch you smoking again I get to clobber you with a 2 by 4.
Before running for my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.