Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,

I recently passed my motorbike test last week! yeeehhaaaaaa
The problem is not specifically insurance but tax.

My uncle has been kind enough to let me use his other bike which is an 1989 yamaha xt.
Now I have the money to pay for the insurance but there is no tax on the bike and the V5 is in his name.

He obviously doesn't want to take out a policy just to tax it as he doesn't use the bike enough orrrr sign the v5 in my name as I am only going to use it for a month or 2 till I get my Africa Twin!!!!

Is there anyway I can tax it?
Do I have to take the v5?

Any advice would be great!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You can tax bikes online but it does check the insurance database. Ur uncle could take out a one or two month policy on the bike.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You do not have to be the registered keeper to tax a bike, the data base will check if the VRN has MOT and Insurance against it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Easy way round this is to re register the bike in your name, I'm sure Uncle will understand. You can give him a letter saying it's still his but you become the registered keeper. Job done.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What Stumpy said. You don't need to be the registered keeper to tax or insure the bike. You need the V5 an MOT Cert, Insurance Cert and the cash to get a Tax Disc. Just go to the post office and tax it you sholdn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
taxing the bike will be no problem.:p

most insurers require the policy holder to be the regestered owner.

be very carefull wiyh the insurance thiugh you may get away withan on line aplication claiming the bike is registered in your name. but and its a big but if you need to claim on the insurance you won't get a penny (my sons personal experience).

i would suggest as twistgrip get your very kind uncle to sign the bike over too you temporarily. this would keep everthing 100% beyond doubt.

interesting senario:-
your very kind uncle is on hols and you get pulled by not very kind pc plod.

question1 are you the regestered owner ?

answer no

pc plod will now think he's won the lottery.:hitler:
how would you prove this when your very kind uncle is unavailable:confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
another point. The registered keeper of teh bike ISN'T necesarialy the owner of it. They are mearly the person who is currently looking after (keeping) the bike.

Technically if you are keeping and using the bike and your uncle isn't then it should be registered to you as the keeper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys thanks very much for the replies!!

I shall pass the information onto my uncle!!

Do you have any recommendations for insurance companies ?
I have a quote for £920 fully comp from MCE but the reviews I have read are attrocious!!

Is it worth paying a little extra for a better and trusted company ?
eg Carole Nash are offering the same policy with a couple of extras for £1080

Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
How on earth can anyone afford insurance at those prices? I take it that you are quite young, new rider etc. Try the Tesco Compare site, that's where I went for my last offer. You may get a good deal for the first 12 months (new business) but the renewal will more as likely go up. Then you start all over again. I'm afraid that's how it is. Patience and lots of looking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes unfortunately I am a :sign2: who is 21, just passed my direct access test with NO previous riding experience.
Im a insurance companies dream!!

You dont even want to know how much I pay for my car insurance........

Ill check out tesco compare now thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts