Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nearly time to get new tyres for my Dommie. No idea how long the current BT-45s have been on there (I've done 7,000 miles on them) but they're well worn now.

What's the weapon of choice for road-going inner-tubed Dommies these days? The Bridgies are ok, if a little squirmy going across white paint or overbanding. Interestingly, I just noticed that the front tyre has the word "Tubeless" embossed on it! :eek:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm not an expert, I cant even lean my bike into a corner correctly as I lack confidence. I am however working on that and have recently swapped from Avon Distanzia to Micheline Anakee 3. Now I have noticed a big difference for me. I only ride to work and back. Maybe one day I will do some simple green lane stuff, obviously not much with these tyres.

I feel they grip a lot better in the wet, scrubbed them in as recommended and feel good with them. I'm going to hopefully do a track day in March which will help me with the corners.

In fairness I heard the BT-45s were/are a good road tyre, I went for the Micheline's as I do intend to do some off road ish stuff one day. I ordered them online and got sent to my house. Then got a local tyre place to fit them.

Reactions: Fitz

·
Registered
164 Posts
Another vote from me for the anakee 3. Great grip and stability wet or dry.
They're a bit expensive, and their 'cut in' tread design isn't to everyone's taste.
IMHO I think they're more stable and grippy on tarmac than conventional knobbly tread designs.
I've only used them on tarmac though - so can't comment on their off-road performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought a Dommie recently which still had Avon Slipsters on. Replaced them with Conti Trail Attack 2 's which work well on our XT600 and so far feel great on the Honda.
Cheers
Min

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
One thing I can say - DON'T get Continental TKC70's. I put a set on my AT and they have been useless........ quiet useless in all conditions fast or slow, from day one. My Dommie has TKC80's fitted and I'm able to thrash it around corners with great feedback and confidence giving gradual loss of grip rather than just letting go without warning. Not the best in wet though.Given the choice for general road use I'd try an find a pair Annakee 2's they will be a fair bit cheaper than 3's.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my kind of biking - muddy slimy roads, rather than trails, green lanes, etc.

Mine came with Dunlop Trailmax that handle the muddy roads around here quite well.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I aint no expert when it comes to dual sport or any other motorcycle tyres for that but I bought a pair of continental conti escape based on them getting a good review off a member hear and they being keenly priced 150 euro delivered . I love them they handle well in all conditions are wearing well and it was a pudding of a job fitting them in the kitchen with tyre leavers . I have them on a transalp 600 and I occasionally go a bit nuts on cold wet December roads they are spot on no road noise off them either like on bridgestone battle wings although I have got good mileage from them but I don't think they handle as good on a wet road or don't have as good traction in mud . the conti have a bit of off road potential if you fancy a bit of an excursion down a forestry track or over grown muddy gated off bog road or that once you don't go mental you need full on moto cross tyres for that you cant have you cake and eat it and all that . so for a dominator I think they would be just fine I know more expensive tyres might offer more but you have to pay more I consider the conti escape great value for money if I taught they were shit I would curse them and I will be sticking with them . bt45 would be my choice for paved roads only but they are expensive in comparison and you give away the dual sport ability and that's half the point of bikes like ours I think :thumbup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got round to changing the tyres on my Dommie today. The old Bridgestone BT45s were still just about legal but very close to the wear markers in the centre.

The fine chaps at Motorcycle Tyres UK in Harold Wood fitted me a pair of Conti Escape, which certainly look the part with a nice blocky tread pattern compared to the road-going BT45s. I know it's largely vanity as I'll be unlikely to ride off-road, but I think they suit the look / style of the bike much better. Too early to say how they perform , I've only ridden a gentle 40 miles on them so far.

Why did I choose that tyre? They had them in stock! Anything else in my size had to be ordered in.

I also replaced the front inner tube as I had no idea how old the existing one was. And fresh rim tape too! The rear inner tube and rim tape were replaced when I had the rear wheel rebuilt, only 3,000 miles ago. Back then I found silver gaffer tape pressed into service as rim tape on the rear !

Then I went for an MOT. Passed. No advisories. Beer!

Next job, chain & sprox. Not sure how those got past the MOT tester but they're pretty knackered. Just trying to figure out whether it's a simple enough job for DIY...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nice, let me know how you get on with the chain etc as I also need to do that job at some point.

Jamie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts