Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Dances with Drunks
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home from work yesterday, saw a police motorcycle coming towards me looking unusual yet strangely familiar...

Yup: a TA! You could have knocked me over with a notebook. The rider nodded and - I'm fairly sure - winked!!

Finished in mostly dark blue, with fluorescent yellow squares. The colour scheme masked the outline to a surprising degree, and it was the 21" front wheel and the shape of the screen that made me twig what it was. Makes perfect sense for a largely rural area with lots of droves and tracks, I suppose.

Oddly chuffed by this. No idea why!

Alan

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The police in London used to use Transalps too. Ideal for getting about quickly.
There are a number of forces that use "special" bikes ... Ive seen a Honda 400cc Enduro hacking around Winchester (with a police rider on it)

Interesting also in Cyprus, the police use Africa Twin's

·
Registered
542 Posts
Saw the Met Police are also using GSers. Not sure why they're doing this but I'm sure they have their reasons.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
They basically get given them by the various manufacturers to test.
That is why the Met now hach around in BMW 530 Diesels, and Merc's.
Hampshire like their Skoda's and have the odd Impreza now and again.
BMW and Honda generally give the police a "pool" of vehicles that make their way around the country in the hope that the forces will place orders.
The Met also have a Marked up Yamaha R1

S

·
0 Posts
They are used here in Northern Ireland loads as normal patrol bikes along with the Deauville. Its only the traffic branch that use the Pans. These are all done up like normal police vehciles. I did notice in my local Police Station though, an unmarked dark blue BMW R1150RT ro something along those lines. All you could tell it by was a pair of blue lights hidden below the headlight on it. I also reakon I saw an unmarked ST1300 Pan as the guy on it was in black leathers but his helmet was the same a police ones, being white but with POLICE written on the back of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
PeelerWheelers

I'm picking up an ex-British Transport Police Y2000 TA with 32k miles from Trent Valley and riding it back to Belfast on 15th October '05. It'll be the first trip I have ever done on TA so wish me luck. I know it'll always look like a police bike because it's white, but if anyone has any ideas on reasonable decal sets that might dress it up a bit, it'd be great to hear from you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Boxtychamp

I live in Northern Ireland and apparently there is a guy who cuts and fits decals in the Ballymena area. My friend bought a second hand Varadero 1000 with the all black tank. the previous owner took the bike to this guy with some ideas and they came up with these lovely declas in silver for the tank. if you are interested I could possibly get a telephone number when we all meet next friday night.

regards
Jak

·
Registered
70 Posts
Police TAs

A friend recently got a TA, ex Transport Police 5 years old and only 23K.

Maintained to the highest standard. Only one issue, all the mods had mixed beneifts, Ready with Aux Power and switch gear. however when they took off the additional lights and boxes, it did leave a bit of a mess.

All this said it was great value. Trent Valley and others have them on a regular basis, so wait until a real good one comes along, don't jump at the first.

Another mate ended up buying two Pans from there, first was ex Met and shot to bits and soon got rid, for the same money as he paid, the second was an ex Royal Protection bike and was/is immaculate, even after getting rid of the boxes and putting a dual seat back on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Sean

Can admit to this in all good conscience I do not know an Angela Kernoghan. There's only a million and a half of us over here and it is really quite parochial but unfortunately Angela is not one of the people I know.
By the tone of your message I would hope for your sake Sean you know her. :?:

Regards
Jak :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Second hand police bikes...

Caveman - you're so right. The bike I got from Force Motorcycles on Saturday didn't miss a beat between Trent Valley and Belfast, but I have to figure out new and interesting ways of filling in the 3 inch oval gaps where the blue lights used to be on the front fairing, and fill in a couple of switches. I worked out the price was more or less the same as a Parker's valuation for a 'poor condition private sale' for that year of bike - so I reckon it was still a wise choice. Sprockets, chain, tyres, gearbox - all in good nick.

JAK - Yes please! I've managed to source a font called 'Transalp' which has the right lettering which I can use to knock up one or two appropriate images, so talking to the Ballymena man (hey) would be very useful.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I saw Met police Africa Twins near Harley Street in 99/2000. There were two together riding about.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Second hand police bikes...

BoxtyChamp said:
but I have to figure out new and interesting ways of filling in the 3 inch oval gaps where the blue lights used to be on the front fairing,
Obviously i don't know quite what those holes are like but could you put a set of spot/fog lights in there?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Boxtychamp

No problems will try to talk to one of the guys on Friday. Will get back to you in due course.

regards

Jak

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Trent Valley

Cheers Boxty - those armstrongs and harleys look interesting. The white TA would be handy- with black bike gear - sam browne belt and a white lid I could get the bimbling morons who drive at 50mph in the overtaking lane of the motorway out of the way.

BoxtyChamp said:
Tormentron: The outfit in Lichfield in Trent Valley where I got my TA is called Force Motorcycles. They're at www.forcemotorcycles.com.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts