Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to buy a 220v lekky motor to to use for polishing bike bits.
My battery in my drill needs replacing so I need another way of polishing.:(:(:(
What size motor should I get and what type?
There should be loads on ebay.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
May as well be prepared for when jnr gets his bike in his workshop and starts taking bits off the engine..

One of the bike shops where jnr did his work experience gig for six weeks has offered him another months training and the use of his workshop to do what needs to be done to his new project bike which his college has ok,d so he starts on monday and the bike is being collected tomorrow and taken to the workshop.
So jnr will be getting paid by the Danish state to take his own bike apart to work on so I reckon he might be able to get the engine out ,take the head off for inspection and refurb in the time he has there.:thumbup:

Did I mention the government is picking up the tab for his labour but jnr has to buy his own parts out of the £600 a month after tax he gets from the state for taking an apprenticeship.:(:(:(
I think the shop gets money too from the state for teaching the student mechanics stuff.
When the month is up ,he will take his bike back to the college workshop to work on until summer.

What motor should I go for and what do you think of our cunning plan?
Yamaha-XS-400-360-250-Nockenwelle-1MO-1M0.jpg

This should take the bike from 27bhp to a claimed 38bhp.........Lets see eh?..................the XS 650 only has 42bhp.....btw..;););)

·
Registered
942 Posts
I use a 1000w 240v bosch drill, clamp it in the vice by its removable handle and press the lock on switch,
sure a cheaper less powerful drill would work just as well, 500-650w corded drills are pretty cheap

Look forward to seeing jnrs project coming together, what does he have planned for it other than polishing it and making it faster ?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He was talking about a Kenny Roberts spray job but now he has seen the paint job is in good Nick he might keep it standard...(no pun intended):D:D:D
He said he wanted a cafe race but after I pointed out that touring wont be much fun he said he might like a tracker but I am not sure he really knows.
He has got loads of time to think about it but he cant ride it legally for another year and a half.
I think his first job will be engine out to fit the cam and probably a new cam chain and inspect the head and bores to see if the 34000 km is genuine as this bike has had six previous owners but most of em old farts like me that were happy with 27bhp which couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.
The carbs will be ultrasound cleaned and a refurb kit fitted plus larger jets and he wants pod filters and an reverse cone or tulip exhaust like I had on my other CX500
Once the engine is open we can see whats needed inside ,like clutch , valve stem seals and the like...
His DT 125 is getting a new coil and its taxed and insured and ready to go so he has enough on his plate..
I am pretty jealous of him coz of all the totty that have been asking if he has a second crash helmet which he has.:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:
One question I have though is as its a 1980 bike ,will the valve seats be ok to run on unleaded?
These are a very sought after bikes that are selling for £1500 -£2000 here in Denmark.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I think that xs looks smashing way tidier and a nicer colour than either of the 2 of them I had as it is a carrier and a set of period correct hard panniers on maybe home made racks 1" ribbon iron drilled and folded in a vise and maybe a run of weld with an arc welder even if needed would do the finest and a lick of paint then just a lube up tune up and adjustment is all she needs . be a pity to tear it asunder after it lasting this long improve it make it more practical as transport . polishing leads to more polishing . I wouldn't be bothering myself . I had bikes with polished cases I ****ing hate polishing with a passion what a time consuming pain in the hole it was .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think that xs looks smashing way tidier and a nicer colour than either of the 2 of them I had as it is a carrier and a set of period correct hard panniers on maybe home made racks 1" ribbon iron drilled and folded in a vise and maybe a run of weld with an arc welder even if needed would do the finest and a lick of paint then just a lube up tune up and adjustment is all she needs . be a pity to tear it asunder after it lasting this long improve it make it more practical as transport . polishing leads to more polishing . I wouldn't be bothering myself . I had bikes with polished cases I ****ing hate polishing with a passion what a time consuming pain in the hole it was .
I am all for keeping it as standard as possible and agree completely with what you said mate but as it was restricted to 27bhp ,a new exhaust is a must as the internals of the header are part of the restriction...Hopefully that can be sorted easily...
I was surprise when I found out these bikes can do 105mph which is a little faster than my old Yamaha RD 350 I had when I was his age.
He dont need a tracker or scrambler coz we got one , I will be having a chat with him when he comes to visit tomorrow.
I love polishing as long as the part is not on the bike so thats why I want to get a lekky motor.
A nice medical herbal ciggy ,a bit of mellow music and I am good to go for hours.:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:
I love working with stuff and making it shiny as new , I find it relaxing and theraputic ,especially polishing ,must be going off my head in my old age or summit.:cool::cool::cool:
I have a hard luggage system on my CX500 that I want to take off so maybe we can make that fit on his bike while I make my CX look the same as the grey bobber one I sold last year but with standard paint job..:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am all for hot cams wisco over size pistons je jetting carbs koni shocks more free breathing exausts even a twin disc front end conversion all them kind of things and 20 odd year ago and I a young lad I spent an evening in the brothers shed with an angle grinder a welder and a leather cushion off a couch on a gsx 250 and rode my what would probably be a brat style bike into town that night . the lads were well impressed when they found out it only took about 4 hours they couldn't get over it of course the spray off the back wheel was so bad I had to wear an old ESB oil skin coat with the hood up under me piss pot to prevent a stream of rain and cow shit running down my neck and my exaust modification and no rejetting and flat out every mile of the road caused a split piston and burnt out exaust valves over time :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My son aint half as mad as we used to be at that age ,I think my scouser genes must have destroyed any viking that was left in him.;););)
We bought the bike because he was coming up with silly suggestions for my CX500 so this XS 400 will keep him too busy to think about modifying my bike.:D:D:D
A pair of ace bars mysteriously turned up from ebay that I didnt order before christmas and I knew they were not for his DT125.
He said he just wanted to see what they looked like on my bike...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If I didnt know any better I would say he was eyeing up my bike as a project for himself.:cyclops::cyclops::cyclops:
Now he can do was HIS wallet allows him to , to his own project...:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts