Honda XRV Forum banner

What should do about the Galloway Trip in view of the weather

  • Go anyway

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Go but reschedule the forest ride for 3/4 August

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • dont go, Reschedule the whole trip for 3/4 August

    Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Cancel or cant go on 3/4 August

    Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I buggered up the polls and there were two threads which I have now merged, so some things may be out of order, but I thought it worth keeping it all in one place.

Given the weather conditions in Galloway and the remote prospect of a thaw it may be prudent on safety and enjoyment grounds to reschedule. So choices:

1. Proceed as planned. Snowy is silly soft stuff and there to be enjoyed.
2. Lets go anyway, it will be a good craic and if we think we can manage just a few tracks it will be worth it even the costs per head go up a little.
3. Cancel and reschedule for 3/4 August 2013.
 

·
OVALTEENY !!!
Joined
·
6,063 Posts
The very first one you did was mid August and the weather was great, not many midges

I know I'm not on this one but I was voting I'd go later in the year
 

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should we reschedule Galloway 2013

In view of the snow and cold weather with no prospect of a thaw we would seem to have four options (and please only vote if you were going to go:

1. Lets go anyway. Snow is just silly soft stuff adding a bit spice to the trip. We can decide when we get there what to do.

2. Go anyway but don't plan on doing the forest ride at all; reschedule the forestry ride for another date - preferred date being weekend of 3/4 August 2013

3. Reschedule the whole trip for 3/4 August

4. I cant go on 3/4 August so either cut our losses and leave it for 2013 or another weekend. - let me know which one.


notes:
Option 1 means making a decision on Friday. It also means costs per head will probably go up.
Option 2 means your £10s are safe as I can refund or roll forward for the rescheduled date.
Option 3 means you will get a refund of the £10 but will lose any deposits made for accommodation at GAC.

I am going anyway unless everyone pulls out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
The very first one you did was mid August and the weather was great, not many midges

I know I'm not on this one but I was voting I'd go later in the year
Same with me. I was gutted to miss this so if it was later then I'm in.
 

·
Older, but no wiser!
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
Re: should we reschedule Galloway 2013

Oops I clicked the wrong one should read reschedule to 3 - 4 Aug sorry
C'mon fella, stay awake :) Which one did you click by accident?
 

·
Older, but no wiser!
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
I would be putting my name down for August if it's decided upon, maybe even get SWMBO to come along!! :) Happily no combining for me these days, and all the hay should be made by then ;)

The excellent point that questioned entry into the Forest this weekend on safety grounds, is one I have to agree with, especially after seeing in the lunchtime news TODAY that the emergency services are still pretty well flat out in Scotland!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,711 Posts
I guess it's a tough call Austin. I'd vote* for later in the year, hoping I can make it.
* i've not voted as I don't want to sway the outcome from those that have paid.

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I wanted to do this but couldn't commit due to work etc. Now I assume if it is rescheduled first dibs would go to those with their names already on the list, but I would like to go down as a reserve if spaces become available.
Cheers
Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
Re: should we reschedule Galloway 2013

Sorry Steve,
I clicked the 2nd one down the purple one, by accident Oops sorry Austin !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
I've still holidays to take so could book the time for the August date instead, so I'd be in.
 

·
Grumpy auld man!
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
I think it would be wise to change to a later date but I will go with the majority decision. Been snowing on and off here today. Only problem might be for those who have booked accomodation.

PS. the stickers have no best before date so will not go off. :wink:


Andy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Re: should we reschedule Galloway 2013

Austin, Think I'll give this a miss, if you reschedule for August 3/4 i will be ok with that.

I leave on the May 15 from Hull for the Balkans. Calling in at the H U meeting near the Odenwald forest

I see you are down that way May/ June if you need any info let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I'm really glad I checked here tonight........

Last night I added a heated vest wire & muffs to the DR. But I must admit, I wasn't particularly looking forward to making the cold journey.
So whilst at work today, I booked Thursday off work with the intention to ride to Penrith & stay in a B&B. So I'm almost set to go.

However, looking at snowy photo's, Austin is wise to raise this issue. I dare say no one fancies going home with a broken bike or worse....

So reluctantly, I voted to "not go & reschedule for august" (I can do that weekend & would really like to join you again)

But saying that, I would be willing to have a go at getting there or arrive by car as my bed in the bunkhouse is paid for.
I'm sure there are walks in the forest that could be done. Anyone else fancy doing that?

I won't book a B&B until a decision has been made :)
 

·
Deer Dodger
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
Re: should we reschedule Galloway 2013

I'm ok for August at present :thumbright:
Tough shout Austin, any good at blackjack ?? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Re: should we reschedule Galloway 2013

Great idea to reschedule. I'm up for the August date. GAC have told me that as its extreme weather conditions they will allow people to reschedule but it is not normally their policy to reimburse for accommodation. Will they let us slide the date as far as August ??? :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
Re: should we reschedule Galloway 2013

I'm not going to vote as per your 1st post but if a place becomes available for August I'd be interested, cheers
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top