Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I bought my first bike last year and it was a 1995 Transalp 600. I love it but the brakes front and back are terrible. I have changed brake fluid in both, put sintered pads on, deglaze the disks but a steel hose on the front but at best the front will stop you eventually but the back won't even skid the tyre. Is there a upgrade I can do or am I stuck with them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you tried giving the callipers a little love? Clean the pistons and check the seals. That would be my next step mate.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
They never were the sharpest of brakes but adequate enough.
As said pop tge pistons out and clean any crap from behind the seals & lube all sliding pins with red rubber grease.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the calipers off recently to change the pads and they seamed to work fine. When you say clean the pistons do yo mean clean them with break cleaner or is there a certain method to be used? I am assuming these are original equipment because the bike has about 15,000 miles on it, but should I consider changing a component in the breaking system or is this setup always going to be weak.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
single disc transalp brakes are never very good. the only way i improved mine was by fitting a bigger disc, (one from an NTV650), and buying a custom made caliper adapter which moved the caliper the required distance further out. as per this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ds99, has the deauville the same front disk as the nt 650? And do you know of an upgrade for the rear. I have to say I love the transalp for the back roads but I also have a vfr800 vtec and you can imagine the lack of brakes when you hop off the vfr and on to the transalp.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i am not sure of the size of a Deauville front disc, but i would think it's the same as an NTV650, as they are virtually the same bike underneath. I don't know of any upgrade to the rear brake.

Who uses the rear brake anyway? It's only really useful for "dabbing" in slow traffic to stop the nose from diving. Any significant sudden pressure on the rear brake will cause the wheel to lock anyway. I've never found there's much use for the rear brake on motorcycles.

here is my thread from 2016

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Who uses the rear brake anyway? It's only really useful for "dabbing" in slow traffic to stop the nose from diving. Any pressure on the rear brake will cause the wheel to lock anyway. I've never found there's much use for the rear brake on motorcycles.
Interesting thought.
Personally, I much prefer a gentle trailing of the rear brake as opposed to the front, particularly on softer/longer travel suspension bikes. Must just be me thats been doing it wrong for years!
I guess thats why my rear pads were done at under 10k but fronts lasted over 55k

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i find if i get into the habit of using the rear brake, when i need to brake in an emergency, the rear wheel locks up and skids. front brakes are so much better

1 - 11 of 11 Posts