Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had my RD07A for a carb tune because she was running extremely rich (black sparkplugs front and rear). Got her back and immediately on my way home, she was popping on decel. I've turned the pilot screws all wich ways with no luck. Had a proper look for air leaks (carb rubbers and diapghrams) but found none. What I have noticed are three things. 1. Wrapping cloth arount the airfilter forces a richer mixture wich seems to half cure the popping, but starves her of air at high rpm. 2. She pops right away from a cold start in other words, I start her up in the morning and immediately drive towards my farm gate. As soon as I decelerate, the popping is there, so I guess it's not cold air into a hot exhaust. 3. On a downhill on my way to work she plops and pops until I hit the kill switch so again, I doubt if it's on the exhaust side of things.

Both chokes are blanked off. Brand new sparkplugs (creamy beige burn). Stock can. Starts first time, idles sweet, pulls real nice.

Please guide me in the right direction as this popping is driving me insane and taking time off to go back to the dealer is a real logistic nightmare for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you've checked all the obvious things, it could be the air cut off valves. Theres a little vacuum tube that can perish and leak or theres the tiny o-rings where they seat into the carb that don't sit right and cause problems and let air in. Try spraying with carb cleaner when running to check to leak first as removing these if there is nothing wrong isn't worth it, they can be a bastard to get back on right unless you remove the carbs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RonnieBecks for the info. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the carb rubbers and yep, airleak - obviously not visually but somehow the rubbers are not sealing as they should. Used a dash of Castrol Red Rubber Grease inside all the rubber fittings and all is back to normal :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts