Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m rebuilding a ‘89 XRV650 and I want to paint the engine. The side cases I removed and I want them to be powdercoated but I’m in doubt about the colour. Powdercoat can be done in most RAL colours. Anyone ever done this and know which colour comes closest to the original?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
If you're looking for originality, do not powder coat them.

I spent too much money trying to locate a colour that was a close match, and in the end did the right thing and contacted R.S Bikepaints who have the correct paint colour and semi-gloss clear coat lacquer.

The Honda colour code is H238 but I never found a RAL colour that was an authentic match. If you do, please return the favour and post it here, Thank you

Your location is listed as NOWHERE, so I have no idea if this post is of any use to you, as R.S Bikepaints are in the UK​

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. It does not have to be the exact original Honda color, but if it’s close enough to the plastic front sprocket cover color it would be oké. I am guessing this sprocket cover, the heat shields plus alternator and clutch covers are all the same color. I will have these all painted, except for the plastic cover.

Maybe RAL 7008?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Best take the bike / engine cover (give it a good clean first) to the powder coaters so they can match it in daylight to the closest matching colour swatch.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. It does not have to be the exact original Honda color, but if it’s close enough to the plastic front sprocket cover color it would be oké. I am guessing this sprocket cover, the heat shields plus alternator and clutch covers are all the same color. I will have these all painted, except for the plastic cover.

Maybe RAL 7008?

RAL 7008 looks completely wrong to me. 7034 looks closer to my eye, but you have to take into consideration that original paints have faded and monitor colours aren't always the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From my experience, please ask the powder coater for an actual painted metal sample of the color that you choose before you hand them your parts so that you can make absolute sure you are going to be happy with your selection. Do not rely on the powder suppliers paper brochure to pick a color even if the color swatches in the brochure look like they are on metal.

Good luck with your project!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts