Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dances with Drunks
1987 XL600V Transalp
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While searching various front suspension threads, I've seen one or two references to the adjustable preload fork caps that replace the OE fork cap and enable, er, preload adjustment.

Has anyone got these fitted? If so, how have they held up over time? I'm slightly concerned they may be made of alloy that looks nice, but is in fact cheese.

My bike is an 87 600, but I'm after generic quality info, rather than model specific recommendations, as I'm aware there are numerous variations in springs across different models.

Cheers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I fitted mine several years ago. Cost the princely sum of about AU$23 delivered to north Queensland. The washer that does the preload thing looked a bit flimsy, but they are still going strong. Probably '13 or '14 or '15 that I bought and fitted them. I've put 40,000km on it since '15.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I spotted these on Fleabay. Aren’t they just an adjustable spacer ?
An adjustable spacer, yes. As I understand it spring preload is about making space between the fork spring and the fork cap. It used to be done on '60s & '70s road bikes with washers and coins.
I've done it with lengths of car exhaust pipe cut longer, to replace the pieces fitted in the factory. These make the process much simpler.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts