Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a switch to prime the carbs by switching on the fuel pump with the ignition in the on position rather than having to press the starter button to engage the cdi unit and wait until the float bowls are full to get going and possibly drag down your battery.
I have looked at the wiring diagram for the 07a and there are 3 wires from the fuel relay going to the cdi / kill switch / fuel pump
Is it the fuel pump wire you break into
Be interested to hear what other have done to speed up the fueling process if the bike has been parked up for a while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello there,
I did this on both my XRVs as one is ridden 4-5 times per year and both sit during the winter. When I know I will not ride the bike a long time, I close the petcock a hundred meters before the garage and ride like that until I park it in. Just to reduce the amount of fuel that is left in the carbs. If I don't feel that lazy - I drain the petrol through the drain bolts. I made a button on an L bracket just beside the rectifier cutaway in the black plastic where the arrow is. This way it's close to the pump relay, it is not visible for other people, it is out of the way and it is protected. When you need it you just reach from underneath and press it for a few seconds :)

(the photo is not mine)

Here is a schematic of what I did:

Be sure to isolate the wires very good as you wouldn't want to get stranded because of this....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Quincy, you dont say what sort of pump you have fitted, presumably std.
I have a Facet electric pump fitted and just stab the starter button once to initiate the starter relay to power it. Wait a few seconds and the pump ticking quietens, indicating the carbs are full. Then you are ready to start. There is no need to keep the starter engaged and flattening the battery.
I dont see why this wont work with the std pump, try it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
On another note i urge you all to look at my recent post ref Ignition Map upgrade. It unleashes the AT's engine full potential and transforms your riding experience.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Yeah, Ive done this to some bikes, I've just spliced a fused wire onto the +ve pump feed and touch the other, normally insulated end to the battery as required. Just tuck the wire safely away when not required - obviously, it's +ve when the bike is running so the end needs to be insulated/capped off.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've just fitted one as when I'm away at camping and at bike rallies I often find the bike has difficulty starting the next morning as the fuel has evaporated from the carb bowls, I think I need to do the RD07A breather mod.

I had a spare Touratech bar mounted fog light switch bracket so used it to fit a momentary push switch.

I made a short removable 3 pin extension to the stock harness at the fuel pump relay, so I can remove the switch if necessary without altering the stock loom.

I fitted a dry break fuel line connector.

It allows me to drain the tank for servicing, winter storage, and fuel sharing. I have one on the pump outlet and carry a length of Tygon F-4040-A with a spare connector incase someone I'm riding with runs out of fuel. Tygon F-4040-A is a clear yellow flexible fuel hose.

I replaced the 33 year old fuel hoses with Tygon so I can see that the pump is working

I'm also about to repair the fuel level sensors. I picked up a cheap sensor from a Suzuki SV650 so I have spare thermistor holders. I need to order some sensor seals and 1kΩ NTC thermistors to solder into the holders as my fuel warning lights don't work on my original tank, I haven't tested the spare RD04 tank yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone fitted a switch to prime the carbs by switching on the fuel pump with the ignition in the on position rather than having to press the starter button to engage the cdi unit and wait until the float bowls are full to get going and possibly drag down your battery.
I have looked at the wiring diagram for the 07a and there are 3 wires from the fuel relay going to the cdi / kill switch / fuel pump
Is it the fuel pump wire you break into
Be interested to hear what other have done to speed up the fueling process if the bike has been parked up for a while.
Hi If you are not too worried about retaining the function of fuel cut out you can rewire on the fuel cut out relay basically just by pass it then the pump will run all the time the key is on like most normal bikes. I found the cutout relay a waste of time when I did drop my bike the engine keeps running anyway until the carbs run out of fuel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts