Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same probelm as me and if so how they gor around it?

Just lately I noticed that the seat on my Varadero was not as comfortable as it used to be (VA08 09 reg). On investigation I noticed that the seat does not appear to be fitted properly. It is engaged on the peg on the tank, and clicks into the seat lock at the back. But there are plastic hooks / pegs, on either side of the middle of the base of the seat, which look like they are supposed to engage in metal loops welded ontop the sub-frame rails.

Try as I might, I can not get these plastic hooks to engage underneath these metal hoops, they just sit on top. Is this right? It doesn't look right!

I have moved everything out from under the seat, taken the side panels off, but still can't get it to engae in the middle. The seat sits on rubber mounts in the base which sit ontop pf the subframe rails, but I cnat get the plastic pegs/hooks to engage under the loops on they rail. they just sit on top of them.

I have a bagster tanks cover fitted, if that makes any difference. I dont' see why it should, as the peg on the tank engages with the slot on the front of the seat base no probs.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes I have the same problem with mine , I think the seat base must deform after time, but its not a big problem I have got the knack now of getting it on,
What I do try to line the seat up with the front fixing on tank ( so when the seat is fully forward it engages in slot )
At the same time line the plastic hooks with the metal loops ( you might have to slightly lift seat to see ) in the past I have even taken off one of the small black side panels to get a propper look.
Now with every thing in this position push down on the seat above the hooks while pushing seat forward,
Some times it takes a couple of attemps but with practice it gets better,
Good look,
Ian:thumb:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
It's a pain in the neck getting the seat back on. Made me laugh that there is room for a U-lock under there, I'd rather have the bike pinched than struggle twice with the seat every time I parked up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you put enough down pressure on the seat before you slide it forward onto the front peg, it should go in easy. Try a little silicon grease on the lugs. That may help. I have to admit, sometimes you don't know if they have gone in or not!

·
Registered
59 Posts
As others have done, warmed up the lugs with a heat gun, attached a pair of grips and bent them up to open the gap. Let it cool down and the seat fits great with no issues since.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know its not just me!

Looking at this again last night, with the side panels off. I think the problem may be down to the Bagster tank cover. I think somehow, the straps and buckles on the back of the tank cover are pushing the front of the seat up as you slide it forward, but there is enough flex in the front of the seat to pucsh it down enough to engage the peg on the tank. I noticed also that the front rubber mounts on the front of the seat are also nowhere near the frame rails. Presumably they should be resting on the frame rail?

I'm going to test this theory by removing the bagster cover and trying to refir the seat then. If this fails, then it's out with the hot air gun and mole grips.

Frustrating thing is, as Crowman says, there is no way of verifying for sure that the pegs are engaged without removing the side panels. Then you have to remove the seat again to refit the side panels.

This didn't bother me before, but now it's really bugging me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive got a bagster on mine. Trying to get those straps around that bit of tube nearest the tank is a bast**d! So your left with the other option of attaching it to the angled part (if you know what i mean) of the frame which in turn brings the straps too far forward thus making it difficult to engage the the seat correctly!
You could just cut the lugs off all together............no more problem........It ain't gonna go anywhere!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Do you have a top-box? Mine stops the saddle from going back far enough to engage the lugs. I simply shortened them. Glad you found a solution though.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I have never had any probs fitting my seat, and when under it a couple of days ago, I found out why. a previous owner had hacksawed the lugs off short ! :)

However to my concern, what I did find was that the seat itself had cracked which was why I was investigating as the seat seemed to be slightly more curved in to the frame... it was. I suspect that on the recent trip to Ireland, the tie down was a bit too enthusiastic... Far better on the Motorail where they used 4 small straps fitted around the bike then short ratchet straps. The forgot to take them off last time, and I found I still had them on the bike! :)

Now to see if I can reinforce it this weekend. I doubt GRP will bond well enough but I may try it with a alloy plate underneath fixed to the seat pan somehow as stiffening.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Well, I dug out my GRP kit and layered on a layer of glassfibre after using an ally mesh base layer next to the seat base. Still had flex, so I ended up with 4-5 layers of mat. I put the seat back on yesterday and the seat felt very different, firm and stable. Not had time for a ride out sadly, but I reckon it'll be better for the airhawk... as well as not squeezing various areas of my body... :)

Sent from my ZTE-Tureis using Tapatalk 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts