1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Have probiker boots in the Netherlands. They've lasted for 3 years but are now not waterproof anymore. Last vacation, they gave up on a 400km rain ride (rain all the way). About 3/4 of the way through, the water was sloshing in my boots every time I shifted...

But then, they were 79 euro's, so you can't expect too much...

Mine did have zippers though...

JB

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have probiker boots in the Netherlands. They've lasted for 3 years but are now not waterproof anymore. Last vacation, they gave up on a 400km rain ride (rain all the way). About 3/4 of the way through, the water was sloshing in my boots every time I shifted...

But then, they were 79 euro's, so you can't expect too much...

Mine did have zippers though...

JB
Well three years is a lot longer than Alpinestars or Daytona boots have lasted without either leaking or falling apart or both. 400km is pushing it for any footwear to stay waterproof though, even if it is properly treated.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Those look a lot like Hein Gericke TRG Rallye boots. They were a bit more expensive, but had the benefit of Goretex, which tends to last longer than many other membranes.

just a thought.

G

·
I bought the second-hand BMW GS1 boots off eBay the other day, after having looked and tried many, many boots. Apart from the latch mechanism wearing (can be modifiied with Berik buckles), and the boot not being 100% waterproof, and the need to learn gear changes and brake sensitivity all over again - they are great :eek:

Having seen some really nasty ankle/foot damage, I decided to go down the enduro route for boots, and these GS boots have the right balance. The current GS2 I think is £280. The GS1 was £175 when new in 2003-ish, and I had to pay £144 to get them second-hand off eBay (seemed to be worn for ~15 times). Few people part with them.

I just did a mad journey from Newcastle to Cambridge in driving snow, and my feet remained toasty until the last 50 miles when water started to just get in, but they were never freezing.

My other boots - Sidi Evo Waterproofs - stayed waterproof for about 45-90 mins, but I got frozen feet within 30mins in 5C. Felt like wearing slippers though, but protection is minimal for a bike boot.

I doubt any boot is 100% waterproof, even the Daytona Goretex ones, so I think a pair of Sealskins/Porelle socks is necessary if you are going to ride in driving rain for hours, and you must have your waterproof trousers over your boots, not tucked in.

The reason I like these GS boots is that even with my feet wet, in sub-zero temperatures at 80mph for six hours, my feet felt cold, but only walking on kitchen tiles cold. Wiggling my toes keep my feet completely fine. So you really do need a very tough outer layer to totally cut off any wind-chill factor and factor in wet feet. Even Goretex can't stop water getting into through the open top of the boot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts