Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I am having some trouble in Jaipur India, managed to get here from London but changing my battery I have connected the R&R the wrong way and burnt it out, I fitted a spare from a friend who has a 650 transalp, it has the same wires as my mosfet one. But now the bike wont start, I have no neutral light even though its in neutral, if I pull the clutch in I can get the starter to sound like its spinning, but not the actual engine, like the starter isn’t engaging as the engine isn’t spinning, I have checked all fuses. I totally stumped- never seen these symptoms before. I am taking to a local garage in Jaipur tomorrow but thinking just to ship the bike back to England. Anyone have any ideas??
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
First of all don't panic. You will get it fixed, its just a case of fully understanding the symptoms and working through the causes logically. There's some real experts on here for this type of stuff and before long there will be more suggestions and advice being offered than you can cope with.

Anyway if you made it to Jaipur I am sure you can cope with this.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Dont let any Indian mechanics near it, they can do wonders with Enfields but are hopeless with anything more technical.
I hope it works out for you.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
From the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like you've got more than one problem.

Ignoring the electrical gremlins at this stage, if the starter motor is turning, but it is not engaging and turning the engine over, this would suggest to me a possible problem with the sprag clutch. I've never heard of an AT suffering with this before.

Next, what model of Africa Twin do you have? The wiring diagram and components will be different, so for anyone to comment we need to know.

Electric faults are all about checking things in order, one thing at a time, so don't worry, hopefully we'll muddle through and get you back on the road.

EDIT) You say the starter sounds like it's turning. Are you sure the battery is actually OK and not been toasted? If you put the bike on the centre stand (rear wheel off the ground), engage first gear, and try to start the bike, does the starter motor turn the rear wheel?

We need to check two things with the electrical system. The starting circuits, and the ignition circuits, but if you can do the above test, we'll at least know if the starter motor is actually turning, and engaging the engine to turn it over.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well done for getting to India mate, as Austin said, don't panic, it's probably an easy fix.

I'm confused how you can connect the R/R the wrong way round as you stated. So I think what your saying is that your Mosfet is wired directly to the battery and you inadvertently connected it the wrong way round? I assume you haven't fitted an inline fuse between the Mosfet and Battery?

First of all, what is your bikes set up and what year is it? You mentioned a MOSFET. What model Mosfet do you have? How is it wired into the bike, did you cut the old block connector off and replace with a Delphi metripack plug or similar, where the three yellow wires connect into the new plug in no particular order.

You say the starter doesn't engage with the engine. What happens if you don't pull the clutch in and try and start? I take it the bike starts if you bump start it?

Remove the cable from the starter motor, get a 12v car battery or your mates bike battery and some jump leads. Connect the negative to the frame and then touch the connector on the starter motor with the positive jump lead and see if it turns over okay? If it doesn't you may have damaged the winding's in the motor OR the starter solenoid is shot. If it turns over okay then you can rule the starter motor out and look at the ignition side of things. Have you checked the neutral light bulb to see if it has blown, is it in good order and are you getting power to it when the ignition is on?

Hope you get it sorted. Keep coming back on here as it's the best place to get info, especially where you are located!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I know this may sound a bit basic but is the battery connected the right way around? Are the terminals actually correctly marked? A starter spinning the wrong way won't engage. Also, the neutral light and clutch lockout depend on diodes for operation and they don't work if the polarity is reversed. Just an off-the-wall thought.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
I know this may sound a bit basic but is the battery connected the right way around? Are the terminals actually correctly marked? A starter spinning the wrong way won't engage. Also, the neutral light and clutch lockout depend on diodes for operation and they don't work if the polarity is reversed. Just an off-the-wall thought.
This would by my first train of thought.
Check everything inc battery & rr are connected correctly, check the bsttery is good, check all fuses inc those from the rr.

Lutins the best man for this stuff but check & double check the basics then come back.

And don't forget pics of the trip :D

sent from my 'phone

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
That is a very good point.

I did once buy a dead TA as a spares/repair bike that had been buggered by its previous owner when he (a certain barrister type of this forum) fitted a replacement battery that was the wrong type and had the terminals transposed. In that particular case it fried the two CDI's. It did however live again after a bit of work.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Well done for getting to India mate, as Austin said, don't panic, it's probably an easy fix.

I'm confused how you can connect the R/R the wrong way round as you stated. So I think what your saying is that your Mosfet is wired directly to the battery and you inadvertently connected it the wrong way round? I assume you haven't fitted an inline fuse between the Mosfet and Battery?
!
The way I read this is that's exactly what he did.....reversed polarity and poof! The R/R from the XL650 should work if wired and fused properly to the battery. Something along the way
affected the starter and starter safety (diode) interlock system depending on his model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts