Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ProTyre Bristol - Bad Attitude - Incorrectly Fitted Motorcycle Tyre

Having thought hard about whether to make a complaint directly to ProTyre Bristol, I decided that the way I was treated last week leaves me feeling that I do not want to enter into any dialogue with them whatsoever.

I have previously used ProTyre Bristol for various bikes and only once before had problems. On that occasion, their fitter (no longer working there) put my Dommie off the road by breaking the speedo drive. They sorted that out amicably and I haven't had any problems with them again until now. None of the many people I have referred to them has had a problem either.

So what happened?

I wanted a set of road tyres for my spare wheels. I phoned around and chose ProTyre Bristol. I turned up at the time they said they'd booked me in to have my tyres fitted to loose wheels. Rather than being sorted out swiftly, I was told it would be at least an hour. Instead of waiting, I left the wheels with them and came back an hour later. When I got back, they still hadn't fitted the tyres as their fitter didn't know which way to fit them.

There was a direction arrow on the rear and, as the wheels were booked in as Honda XR400 wheels, it couldn't be exactly difficult to find out which side the front disc is on with a quick Google search. They really should have checked rotation when they checked the wheels in.

Anyway, I get there expecting the wheels to be ready but they are not. I complain to the assistant manager about the waste of time having booked for 11.30 and it now being 12.30 and he informed be that ProTyre Bristol don't take bookings for fitting tyres to loose wheels so I didn't have a booking no matter what was said over the phone.

I asked why the rear hadn't been started. No explanation.

I asked why they didn't just look up the wheel rotation for the front.

"Look it up?" says the assistant manager sarcastically. "That would have to be quite some book!". Evidently they have never heard of Google or even considered using the internet :rolleyes:.

I was then treated to a lecture telling me how they were doing me a favour by fitting tyres to loose wheels as, in the time it takes, they could "make £300 on fitting sportsbike tyres". Well, I waited almost another half hour, paid, took the wheels home and fitted them only to find the front was not seated correctly. Thankfully I noticed as I dread to think what the outcome would be if the tyre spun on the rim under braking and ripped the valve stem out of the tube.

So, back down to ProTyre I went to get the tyre re-seated. I dealt with the Branch Manager this time who was far more professional. He apologised for the inconvenience and got it sorted out quickly.

Based on the information provided by the assistant manager, I would suggest you save ProTyre Bristol the inconvenience of having to fit any motorcycle tyres to loose wheels by taking your business elsewhere.

Why do businesses treat customers like this? It can't do them any good whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
It does seem there are just some companies that don't care about customer service. It looks like ProTyre Bristol are one of them.

When will companies learn that if a customer has a good experience they tell three people and a bad experience they tell dozens.

If it were me I would have nothing more to do with them and tell as many people as you can. Which it appears you have just done :thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Alan
there is no need for that kind of attitude , i would take my business elsewhere, and i would phone em every time i want tyre get em too quote me then oh no i remember last time i dealt with you lot , and give em a blow by blow account of the ****ty way they teated you
merv

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it were me I would have nothing more to do with them and tell as many people as you can. Which it appears you have just done :thumbup:
It's not normally a course of action I would follow as it's not positive for anyone involved. I'd usually have a quiet constructive chat with a Branch Manager or write a brief letter to a CEO and let them address the issues and educate the staff involved.

However, in this case I felt the treatment by one particular member of staff was so insulting that I really can't be bothered with them whatsoever. There is nothing they can do to "un-say" what was said - and that's what really generated the complaint rather than the string of procedural cock-ups (and a fitter working under pressure not checking his work for which I received a full and proper apology).

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Oh dear. a search for ProTyre Bristol shows we have made page 1 already.

ProTyre Bristol - Google Search

I wonder how that happened

ProTyre Bristol is the company name apparently

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ProTyre Bristol

Alan you should write to the top brass, i'd want to know about it if i were them.
I did that last time when they broke my Honda Dominator. They covered the cost of the tyres as compensation for my bike being off the road and paid for the part (that I then fitted myself through choice). They were apologetic and polite and the matter was dealt with professionally. They caused a problem and they fixed it. That was a Customer Service Textbook good response.

This time, even if they were to cover the cost of the tyres it would not change the way I was spoken to or get my time back. Yes, things go wrong when you run a business. What you do is listen to the customer and look for what went wrong and for ways you can stop it happening again - not try to belittle them and tell them they should be grateful that you're doing them a favour by letting them buy from you!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
but they take wheels off to fit tyres dont they? so they then become loose wheels? so youre saving them some work

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
The 'loose wheels' explanation is a poor excuse, they usualy prefer loose wheels as against taking them off the bike. The 'superbike' explanation is probably nearer the truth.

I have only ever taken a loose wheel to them as I fit my own tyres except the rear of my 950 which is a bitch to break the bead.

I try to deal with 'Chris' as I have always had good service from him, can't comment on the others.

A shame that you've had such bad service Alan :(

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Re: ProTyre Bristol - Bad Attitude - Incorrectly Fitted Motorcycle Tyre

I have previously used ProTyre Bristol for various bikes and only once before had problems.

I wanted a set of road tyres for my spare wheels. I phoned around and chose ProTyre Bristol. I turned up at the time they said they'd booked me in to have my tyres fitted to loose wheels. Rather than being sorted out swiftly, I was told it would be at least an hour. Instead of waiting, I left the wheels with them and came back an hour later. When I got back, they still hadn't fitted the tyres as their fitter didn't know which way to fit them.

There was a direction arrow on the rear and, as the wheels were booked in as Honda XR400 wheels, it couldn't be exactly difficult to find out which side the front disc is on with a quick Google search. They really should have checked rotation when they checked the wheels in.

Anyway, I get there expecting the wheels to be ready but they are not. I complain to the assistant manager about the waste of time having booked for 11.30 and it now being 12.30 and he informed be that ProTyre Bristol don't take bookings for fitting tyres to loose wheels so I didn't have a booking no matter what was said over the phone.

I asked why they didn't just look up the wheel rotation for the front.

"Look it up?" says the assistant manager sarcastically. "That would have to be quite some book!". Evidently they have never heard of Google or even considered using the internet :rolleyes:.

I was then treated to a lecture telling me how they were doing me a favour by fitting tyres to loose wheels as, in the time it takes, they could "make £300 on fitting sportsbike tyres". Well, I waited almost another half hour, paid, took the wheels home and fitted them only to find the front was not seated correctly. Thankfully I noticed as I dread to think what the outcome would be if the tyre spun on the rim under braking and ripped the valve stem out of the tube.

So, back down to ProTyre I went to get the tyre re-seated. I dealt with the Branch Manager this time who was far more professional. He apologised for the inconvenience and got it sorted out quickly.

Based on the information provided by the assistant manager, I would suggest you save ProTyre Bristol the inconvenience of having to fit any motorcycle tyres to loose wheels by taking your business elsewhere.

Why do businesses treat customers like this? It can't do them any good whatsoever.
Still seems strange to me why you booked an appointment to have the tyres fitted. I've never known anywhere that books times to fit tyres to loose wheels or why you left them with the shop normally you order the tyres then turn up and wait. Seems to me they probably don't have appintments for tyre fitting and when you left they forgot all about them. Easy mistake to make in busy working enviroment.
As for direction of fitting, What would you do if you wasn't sure do it once incorrectly then do it again or wait a while and get it done right first time, don't forget a lot of offroad bikes have chains and discs on various sides of the bike. Also if someone at work tries to tell me how to do my job they end up waiting twice as long and get ****y comments..

Just seems like a communication mix up to me put it down to experience and don't use them anymore.....................

I wanted to stop my xr smoking so ordered valve seals, head gasket and oil filters last monday went into pick them up on friday and a rocker cover gasket had turned up i could have got ****y about someones mistake but what would be the point i wouldn't be any further forward and next time they would help less. I got home pulled the bike apart did all the valves put the head back together, took a gamble on putting the bike back together ran it up and the head has a smaal weep so i'm now doing it this weekend again to replace the new gasket. Luckily all the donkey work is done so it will only take an hour to take it apart and put it back together

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Still seems strange to me why you booked an appointment to have the tyres fitted.I've never known anywhere that books times to fit tyres to loose wheels or why you left them with the shop
Well he did say 9.30 but I said I had stuff on then so he said 11.30. To me, that is a booking rather than "turn up and we'll get them fitted asap". I left them with the shop for the length of time they said they needed to get them fitted as I couldn't afford to sit around doing nothing for an hour. If I was told to drop them in and collect them in the afternoon, that too would have been fine - but that's not what I was offered.

Seems to me they probably don't have appintments for tyre fitting and when you left they forgot all about them. Easy mistake to make in busy working enviroment.
Trust me, that's not the case. They had the rim tapes on and they were on the rack 6 feet away from the fitter. It's not that they were forgotten in a corner. They were started and then put to the end of the rack.

As for direction of fitting, What would you do if you wasn't sure do it once incorrectly then do it again or wait a while and get it done right first time, don't forget a lot of offroad bikes have chains and discs on various sides of the bike.
As for direction of fitting, I would fit them according to the info taken when they were booked in. Of course the rotation wasn't noted at that point though. Failing that, I would look at the direction arrow on one and fit that one. I'd then let the guy at the front desk know there was a problem and wait for him to get the info as it was booked in as an XR400 wheel and it's very easy to find which side the disc is on using Google

Also if someone at work tries to tell me how to do my job they end up waiting twice as long and get ****y comments.
Do you resort to ****y comments when you know you are in the wrong or do you just listen to what the customer says, apologise and do it right? Do you reckon that if I make a legitimate complaint and get some half-witted sarcastic comment rather than an apology when I am paying someone to do a job then that is acceptable? Sorry, I don't agree.

Yes I realise that stuff goes wrong and I am perfectly willing to chalk it down to experience. If they'd handled it in a polite and constructive manner rather than trying to be a smartarse and make excuses, then that's exactly what I would have done.

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
I once used protyre in exeter to fit new tyres to my car, they fitted them fine with no worries and in speedy quick time!!

However on driving my car out of the workshop, the fitter reversed it directly into a truck in full view of a watching me!!

Needless to say I kicked up a lot of stink and they gave me their work van to use while they fixed my car for a few days!

Never been back there since!

:D

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts

Micheldever Tyres is now Protyres and the service has gone downhill at a rate of knots, the prices have gone up!
Had a new tyre on the @ (rear), "pinched the inner tube causing a slow puncture - took it back - no apology - they just fixed it (unknown to me they patched the tube). Two weeks later the patch failed and I was recovered to Micheldever and a new inner tube was fitted. Unlikely to use them again.

·
White van man
560 Posts
I probably hear more of these stories than most. Poor service and tyres fitted by badly trained and inexperienced staff. From multinationals mainly, the smaller independents seem to fair better.

I've been in the trade 42 years, mainly as a branch manager and divisional manager.

Everyone wants the best tyres but don't want to pay, fact. The problem with smaller margins and higher rates and rents is it does'nt leave much for the wages bill. I'm not using this as an excuse, just the way it is.

Your experience at Pro-tyre is appalling, typically poorly trained staff.

Try and find a good independent next time may be better.

Or how about a nice ride to Warwickshire and i'll fit em.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'm hoping I've misinterpreted your statement here?
"Everyone wants the best tyres but don't want to pay, fact."
If not, I can see a recurring problem here regarding the attitude of tyre fitters. I don't agree with that, being Scottish I'm always looking for a bargain but I don't expect them without paying. I would like to think you mean everyone wants the best tyres but as cheap as possible, fact? People want a decent deal but that's not always the case, that's life now I'm afraid here in rip off Britain. :rolleyes:

I can recommend two supplier/fitters of tyres up here in the north east of Scotland that I have used personally.
Aberdeen has got to be Rob Sillett, a star among tyre fitters, possibly seen as a god by the local bikers in Aberdeen! The guy is always busy and queuing out the door but you wait your turn, shoot the breeze with other bikers while you wait, the tyres are then fitted in record time, balanced and back on the bike ready to go. Good prices too. Recommended! :thumbup:
Elgin has Willie Young mc's. A workshop not for the fainthearted! I swear quite a lot but can't hold a candle to Wullie and his staff! But tyres fitted either to loose wheels or on the bike, you pays your money, your choice. I wouldn't recommend women or children in the workshop though! The price is fair and the work done up to standard. Recommended! :thumbup:

AlanH, I understand your frustration but most of these tyre guys are very busy and usually you just have to wait your turn. Agreed, the guys attitude to your query was unprofessional, even condescending, but maybe he was just having a bad day? Could've been handled better by the management as well. I've had a similar situation at a local motor factors here in Elgin and my opinion is I'll never cross their door again. I'd rather walk 70 miles to Aberdeen for the bits than give the certain company that ends with an "O" any of my money ever again. Vote with your feet mate, just find a place you can trust and stick with them.

I honestly believe customer services is going to the dogs, customer loyalty counts for very little nowadays, I see this even with the company I work for, and believe it will only get worse. :(

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed, the guys attitude to your query was unprofessional, even condescending, but maybe he was just having a bad day? Could've been handled better by the management as well.
The one with the attitude problem was sodding management!

I can understand things going wrong and, as long as someone isn't trying to be a smartarse, insulting me, or trying to bull**** me, I'm understanding.

For example, contrast this with my experience with Fowlers of Bristol today...

I collected a parts order yesterday. I got the parts home and, on dismantling the bike, found two key items of the order had been picked wrong. I went down today and the member of staff I dealt with was very professional and apologised for the inconvenience caused at least three times and thanked me for my understanding.

I've got the right parts now. I received an apology. It's easy to put your hand in the wrong box when the boxes are small and close together. Yes he should have checked the part numbers. So should I before leaving I suppose but they looked like the right parts. I will check more carefully next time - but I will still be using them. I also won't be badmouthing them to anyone.

Spot the difference in outcome a little professionalism achieves :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts