Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just thought I would share a proud dad moment with you.
My teenage son is currently working on a work experience programme connected to his education as a bike mechanic.
His boss let him have his first go at welding and this is the result.

15139590_1580820335267311_1351770603_n.jpg

Not a bad attempt for someone who started working on his own bike five years ago when he was thirteen years old fitting a 125 engine into his Sachs Madass moped which he later sold at a profit so he could buy his first bike which he later sold at a profit so he could get his Yamaha DT 125 LC3.:D:D:D

482288_558225877530886_1656445066_n.jpg

Well done Lucas ,we will make a bike mechanic out of you yet.:thumbup:

1461065_662401303780009_328004329_n.jpg

13445615_1180053075348160_902062308536361211_n.jpg

Now I have to find us a winter project bike so he keeps his greasy mitts off my bikes. ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the lads a natural :)
keep it up jnr its a really useful skill, dont know i used to get by before i got my welding kit
Thanks Nick ,thats why I kept him on.....lol..
My older brother specialized in ally welding and my dad was a toolmaker with Vauxhall so it must be in his genes.:thumbup:
I dont know how I manage to build bikes not being able to do welding of any kind..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Now I will have to buy him a welding kit :(:(:(

Who says that having teenagers can be a problem? :-D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Scouse, bet you're pleased as punch

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
nice welding it looks like alloy I never welded alloy in my life only mild steel and stainless . I done mostly mig but I can do tig as well my favourite and of course arc . I have a decent arc welder but I can only burn light guage rods with it or else its trips the switch where I live . an inverter welder that can be used for scratch start tig as well as arc is the kit I would love to have even though I have no use for it still be a nice thing to have all the same . if going for a welder the inverter is my choice nice and compact and they don't tend to trip the switch . he's a good lad on the right path some lads fall in with bad company and end up flat out on the herb with their only ambition is to eat pizza shag birds and play video games despite their poor parents best efforts to put them on the right path . you need a bit of luck with young people these days . its not easier on them we had less years ago we weren't happy we just didn't know that we weren't happy we had **** all but at least we didn't know we were unhappy .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice one Scouse, bet you're pleased as punch
Its nice to know that all the effort I put into teaching him a hobby has turned into something he will continue with as an adult and hes getting good at it..
When his boss saw his welding he was very impressed that it was his first time trying and Jnr has now been offered a 4 year apprenticeship which he is chuffed to bits about as am I.:thumbup:
As Alias rightly pointed out ,its easy for kids to go off the rails these days as there are not enough opportunities for them...
I just hope he dont start building better bikes than me. :D:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts