Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My son and I are doing this 100 mile cycle ride in aid of Bowel Cancer UK. I am aiming to raise £500 to help them research the disease and support others who went through what I did. 11 years ago I was diagnosed as having Bowel Cancer and long story short it was cut out of me, I made a full recovery and now have the same likelihood of suffering cancer as anyone else. I was very lucky because I caught it early and although it was deeply unpleasant for me and those around me I was one of the approximate 50% survival rate. I saw some of the people that were in my ward at my one month check, it was clear that one or two of them weren't as fortunate: I was walking, ready to ride my Varadero, had had my first curry and about to work towards a normal life. One poor guy who was in the bed opposite a month earlier was as white as a sheet, so skinny he couldn't have been eating and not able to walk unaided. It really bought home to me how lucky I was!

We are asking that if you can afford a few £'s to support us, that you go to our just giving page and make a donation. Its simple; go to just Giving, search Paul and Ben Sharpe and look for Ride London 100. Anything you can offer will help a brilliant charity, it will increase the number of survivors and support those who have someone with the disease.

We (Ben and Me) Bowel Cancer UK and everyone it supports thank you in advance.

Paul:thumbup:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hello Paul
Only just read your post about RideLondonSurrey100 and your charity. I hope you're fully recovered and that you raised a good amount for your cause.
How long did it take you to finish..(did you finish)? I rode it last year too and managed to raise some money for Macmillan Cancer Support via a " Justgiving.com " page . A friend who rode with me crashed out half way round. I'm hoping to get in again this year and maybe raise some money for a different charity and also beat last year's time of 6 hours 11 minutes.
All the best

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Spain,

I did finish, I put in the training and indeed found it easier than expected mainly due to 2 things; First lifted by the crowd and occasion and second too many energy drinks, gels and sweets. I was totally buzzing when I finished, very over exited and hyper active.

My time was about 6 hours 30 minutes but I was held up for well over an hour and we bypassed leaf hill which disappointed me immensely. I was hoping for this time but without the delay, I was so much faster than I expected. My son started before me and although he did the whole route he was delayed for more than 1.5 hours. Others I spoke to missed both Box and leaf hill.

We (my son and I) were raising money for Bowel cancer UK and managed over £900 between us. Like you using JustGiving.

I have put my name in the ballot for this year but will not due it for charity this time. I hope to do the whole route this time. I did do over 100 miles on the day with riding to the start and finish but feel somewhat cheated at missing part of the route.

I didn't suffer much, a bit tired but recovered dead quick. I was just about prepared enough without being too much over trained.

Best bit apart from finishing was all of the superb people I met and chatted with on the route plus of course everyone watching and cheering us on.

I hope you get in and beat your time. I'm 62 so also hope to get in and will try to better my time but not really that worried if I don't.

Well done for finishing and efforts for charity.

Paul

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hello Paul.
Well done on the amount you raised and the time. I was really happy with my time and felt I had trained enough in the months leading up to the ride. The crowd and occasion really do give you that extra edge and can carry you through. Brilliant day. It's the adrenaline rush after such a long ride mixed with the energy foods and gels that make finishing so sweet....go easy on the gels and drinks ☺

The big crash happened 2 minutes in front of me so I had a one hour delay. My official time was 7.12 but my Strava app had me on 6.11 (I have it on auto pause) I managed the full course. Leith Hill was chokka bloc....some off and pushing and others trying to slice through the crowds...it's pretty steep and narrow and comes at that point on the course where it creates a bottleneck with riders tiring and others still full of energy . Once at the top of Leith Hill it's a really fast decent. ...and I nailed it. Pretty good times overall on that bit for an old git like me.

If I get a place this year I'd like an early start to avoid the crowds and inevitable crashes and possible delays. I'd love to beat my previous time...that would mean riding slightly aggressively at times I suppose...but what a goal.

I rode from home in Greenwich not too far from the start line....and I took the riverboat home, which was great, so about 116 on the day...and what a great day!

Let me know if you get in this year. Maybe we could meet up.

Regards
Dean

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dean,

I too would like an earlier start to get a crack at Leith Hill (not Leaf :) )

I stayed at Limehouse and rode back again after. 110 in total so claiming a century.

I did Box hill well, overtaking more than were passing me :) also good for an old git like me :)

Also planning a 300 mile tour in Holland in May, my first proper tour on a cycle. Normally tour on my motorbike :)

Would be good to meet up, one of the best parts was meeting all sorts of people.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi Dean,

I too would like an earlier start to get a crack at Leith Hill (not Leaf :) )

I stayed at Limehouse and rode back again after. 110 in total so claiming a century.

I did Box hill well, overtaking more than were passing me :) also good for an old git like me :)

Also planning a 300 mile tour in Holland in May, my first proper tour on a cycle. Normally tour on my motorbike :)

Would be good to meet up, one of the best parts was meeting all sorts of people.

Cheers,

Paul
I get the impression you like your bicycles. Me too. I started riding regularly about 7 years ago...mid life crisis I think. 55 this year.
The 300 mile trip in Holland sounds good. I'm reading a book by Guy Martin at the moment. "Worms to Catch". Last summer he completed the "Toughest Bike Ride/Race in the World"....The Tour Divide. 2.745 miles from Canada to Mexico in 18 days. 90% off road. Now he's thinking about cycling to Magadan in eastern Russia. Nutter.☺
It's got me thinking about cycling down to Spain at some stage....hmmmm!

I think ballot results come out in February. ..... fingers crossed.
If we both get in well meet up at some point.

Dean

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Dean,

Guy Martin is indeed a mad cyclist.

Like the idea of riding to Spain but family and life get in the way.

Holland will be my first proper tour so looking forward to it.

Can't wait for the ballot, but won't mind either way. I did 3000 miles last year and most of it not for the ride London.

I have a Giant defy 3 road bike for the longer rides and just got a Scott Speedster Cyclocross bike for the tour and my daily commute. I did have a Gary Fisher Mountain bike but broke the frame recently. Totally gutted but got the CX in its place, its working well for me.

I also have the 700 TA which seems to do less miles than I like - about 4 k last year. I tend to get abroad once a year on her, normally the Eiffel in Germany but also been to the Black forest and the superb Vosges in France. Favourite is the Eiffel :)

Cheers,

Paul

Enjoy the ride,

Paul

·
Registered
538 Posts
Good luck on the Holland tour. I'm sure you're going to love it.

"You broke the frame"....not too many energy drinks!

In London ive got a Merida Scultura 904 but it rarely gets used. Most of my cycling is in Spain with my BMC Team Bike SL01. 2.500 miles last year with loads of (slow) climbing. ��

I'm the same concerning the ballot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts