Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with water stopping my 96 XR 250.

The bike runs fine and performs perfectly well in all areas in the dry, but as soon as it hits water it bogs down and stops. It is as if it has gone into shock. It will then fire up straight away with the next kick.

I have done the following things.
  • Changed the plug
  • changed the plugcap
  • changed the coil three times
  • changed the stator
  • changed the air filter
  • wrapped the HT and coil in rubber (attempt at waterproofing)
  • dropped and clean the jet
  • checked all the wiring under the tank
As you can see I am thinking Along the lines of electrics, but I am hoping somone can give me a better pointer, I would be gratful for any suggestions.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
You need to reroute the carb breather pipes up & into the airbox. My XR400 did this until I did what i'd done to my KTM enduro. Now she goes through deep water easily. You can leave the carb float bowl pipe hanging down as that has a seperate function.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
416cc you are the man who knows things.

As soon as I posted my thread last asking for help I saw the other related threads to water stopping XRs which I had been searching for and could not find.

One of those threads said almost exactly the same thing as yourself and I am excited at the prospect of having found the answer to my problems, it will be the next step I take.

Thanks again 416, I will post my breather pipe alterations and the results.:thumb:

·
2,701 Posts
Had same problem with my xr600, . . . re-routed breathers to air box, . . . no further problems.

ps.
When in deep water use low gear and keep the revs up, . . the water saps a lot of power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motopsycho the best way to describe the symtoms are bogging down and failing to clear, as if it has ran out of electric supply or it is being starved of air.

This has just cheered me up no end.

I have been outside and started my fantastic bike firstly having pulled out the breather pipe from its current position, which is downwards pointing directly at the ground/water. I have let my bike warm up and ever so gently blown down the breather pipe. Guess what, it died like it has been doing in the puddles.

I am now looking forward to this weekend when I shall be taking to the lanes and attacking the water with much gusto. Especially Lhergycholvine which has always stopped it. Cant wait.

Thanks again for advice, off to put a stator on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts