Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Puzzling dead battery - New INFO

Hi

I went to start my baby vara this morning and it wouldn't start due to a dead battery.

I had the engine ticking over on Saturday and started fine. I washed the bike saturday too but it was ticking over after I had washed it.

It hasn't been cold weather so really confused as to why it has discharged on sunday to not start this morning. I jump started it with the car but concerned that it will drain again.

Does anyone have any idea why it has discharged?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Hi

I went to start my baby vara this morning and it wouldn't start due to a dead battery.

I had the engine ticking over on Saturday and started fine. I washed the bike saturday too but it was ticking over after I had washed it.

It hasn't been cold weather so really confused as to why it has discharged on sunday to not start this morning. I jump started it with the car but concerned that it will drain again.

Does anyone have any idea why it has discharged?

Thanks

The symptoms you describe could well be caused by a simple loose connection on the battery. Have you actually checked the battery voltage with a meter?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a meter to check unfortunatly

is it just a case of followin the wires from the battery to check connected?

Just don't understand why it has died cos been running fine without problems until now.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Try not to always think worst case scenario; that's my job:D
Had a bit of corrosion on my starter solenoid, not battery in the end (different bike though)
Grab a meter or find someone with. Check voltage across battery; must be at least 12v.
As mentioned, check contacts are tight.
A battery can drop a cell, one minute working, the next, not.
Do your lights seems bright?
Do your lights work!
Has the kill switch been knocked whilst cleaning?
Water in kill switch?
And on and on:rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lights come on when turn ignition, as does display. Started once jumped started it with car so must just be drained battery but the confusion lies over how it has drained since saturday when had no probs or signs of dying battery.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
As said before, batteries can just go suddenly. But check the simple things first....

did you leave anything switched on?
are there any loose connections as Lutin suggested, +'ve and -'ve on the battery.
I assume that as the jump start was OK its not just the starter got disconnected, but still worth checking for a poor connection.
When it runs are the lights good and bright at all revs or do they dim at tickover. Does putting extra load, like indicators cause the lights to dim?
Charge the battery - check voltage immediately. Should be 13 or 14volts.
Check battery again after a day. Should be negligible loss of voltage. If there is a big drop remove from bike and do it again.
If this time there is no drop in voltage then you have a short circuit on the bike or something is on that shouldnt be.
If there is still a drop in voltage its time for a new battery. Honda dealers are usually as good as anywhere else for batteries.

Good luck. I hate electric problems:mad:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Most problems have been covered, I had my bike running after cleaning it and when finished I put the bike away and connected it to the solarizer when I went back the following day the bike would not start.
It was the battery had died, it was the original and over 5 years old.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NEW INFO

Trickled charged th ebattery overnight on Monday. Started fine Tuesday morning when I hooked it up. Ran it for over an hour and tried it again tuesday night - all fine.

Got on the bike this morning and rode about 3 miles to shop. Got back on it after popping into shop and really struggled to start. Had to hold starter in for ages whilst trying to rev it to get going.

Once started, I rode straight to my local bike shop who tested the battery voltage and it had 12 volts in and was showing to charge as the engine was reved.

So - what is going on!! It strated fine at the bike shop but need it to be reliable as use the bike for work.

They suggested disconnecting and then re-connecting all the connections to see if that changes anything. May have got some water in one of them when cleaned it. Also suggested taking the start switch off and putting some kind of electrical cream on the connections.

Does anyone else have any ideas what this could be?

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Have you done what the bike shop suggested? Don't worry about "the cream" just clean the switch and the contacts.

A Multi meter at B&Q is about £9.99. That's what I use. Get one then you do a load more tests. Or just get a battery as it will probably be that.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Do also have a look at the other end of the negative strap. Not sure where it goes on your bike, but probably back of engine or frame.
Loosen that connection, waggle and tighten.
Don't discount the contact from positive to solenoid, do the same. MIne looked okay on a previous bike; corrosion can fool you.
Still think it might be a dodgy battery.
If you've checked for corrosion definitely, prepare for a battery.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
What do I clean them with?
WD40, and some fine emery paper or wet and dry is what I use. Or anything to roughen up the contacts.

Be careful actually dismantling the switch. Although they can be stripped they are not really designed for it. Keep an eye on springs, little washers, circlips and stuff. If in doubt and good dose of wd40 into the switch without dismantling will help anyway. Personally though I think it probably not the switch most likely is a bad contact that should be carrying a lot of current or the battery.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Didn't use the bike yesterday. Went to start it this morning and started first time. Took key out and locked door, went to start it again and struggled to start!! Once started it ran fine the 12 miles to work. Pulled up at work, turned off to chain bike up. Put key back in and started fine. Left it couple of minutes and started fine again.

The garage have already confirmed that the battery is just about in green and is charging.

Do you think it is struggling to hold the charge and the first start up is killing it?

Do you think it is worth just buying a new battery and crossing my fingers?

Had a look for the connectors this morning and found 4 of them around the front of the bike. One looks like I would have to take the fairing off to get to it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Due to lack of response I have decided to bite the bullet and get a new battery. If it still happens at least I know then that it is something different and can get it in the garage

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
id check the starter solenoid - as said previously in this thread - its more than likely that its gunged up a bit - and thats what causing your problems..

when the air is damp - its shorting out...this will explain why your battery seems in good condition....

take the big fuse ouut and give it a good clean in there - wd40 and put it all back -and check all the connections - and battery terminals etc...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I still reckon that you have a loose or corroded terminal somewhere on the bike.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
are we talking vara 125 or 1000 ???
i know my 125 has had similar problem due too dead battery.
if its a 125 with an alarm you will find the alarm kills batteries quicker than normal, it seems the 125's battery will discharge so you may only have enough for 1 start & if not run afterwards won't re-start. this symptom is usually a sign of a dying battery.
i think a new battery will fix it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah its 125 with immobiliser and alarm.

I have fitted a new battery so if it still happens at least I know its not the battery and there is something more wrong with it.

I reckon it might be as you say, the battery only haviong enough for 1 start and then recharges whilst riding but then dropping the charge again. Hopefully the new battery will fix the problems

1 - 20 of 20 Posts