Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in June I had the time of my life riding down to the Pyrenees and attempting Vibraction’s Road Book 2.
I travelled with my buddy ‘TerraStrom’. He rides a modified V-Strom 1000. I ride a trusty old Africa Twin. Hope you like the pics. For those interested full write up attached.

View attachment RB2 - a tall tale.pdf

Somewhere between Toulose and Andorra! Pyrenees on horizon.

Just north of Rimont in the South of France, Le Mas-d’Azil. Road follows the river through the rock.

Let me take you to the Jo Bar, Jo Bar... Coffee stop riding up into the mountains.

Hairpin heaven on the Col de la Clin just north of Spain.

And another...

Seemed like a nice place to stop for lunch, still in France.

In Spain having ridden up to ski-ing levels.

High road or low road, hmm....

Guess this wouldn’t be so much fun in winter!

First day on the trails at an altitude of a mere 1345m. Things were about to get tougher!

Not the normal soil colour!

Gosol centre - where is everyone?

View from the campsite in Gosol. Mountains in background to be circumnavigated next day.

Repsol garage forecourt looking up at the view point - Mirador de Gresolet.

View point - Mirador de Gresolet, where the tarmac ends and the trail starts.

View from the view point.

Red line shows where the trail hugs the mountain side, starting from view point on left.

Looking forward along trail.

On the second part of trails around Gosol.

A rugged looking V-Strom!

Rocks and drops!

Nice to see where we’d just ridden.

No armco?

Rocks, dust and now water!

Annoyingly pic doesn’t show how big a step of rock is on the edge of the river.

Close-up of terrain!

The picturesque Pont de Llierca.

Nothing around here but mountains...

...and a church, time to pray we don’t get lost again!

Going up again, nice view!

Not very deep, but slippery rocks.

Someone’s driveway!!

What sort of person live’s in a house like this? We didn’t hang around to find out!!

Camping by the med. Where’s the sun?!

Looking at the sea fog descending on Collioure.

Abused Mitas!

Abused Scout, that doesn’t sound right!

This stopped us dead in our tracks.

Who says size isn’t important!

Trucking hell... or heaven if you’re a trucker!

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No more pics, I've hours of GoPro footage though. I'll get round to uploading some one day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice report... that looks like SO much fun!!! Gotta point my AT south next summer :)

I'm interested in how you attached your GPS. I can see on the photos that it's some kind of gray foam tube, but what's inside and where did you attach it?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Fantastic Neil - just looked at the pics - will download the ride report

Glad you enjoyed yourselves

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, glad you like the pics.

I looked at Paul S's pics from his trip and liked the setup for his satnav. I couldn't find any 22mm tube. So I ended up bending some 20mm alloy tube, covering it in pipe insulating foam and tie wrapping it to the bike! It did a pretty good job apart from when the going got really rough and I couldn't tighten the SatNav holder bracket. I might have to cheekily ask Paul S for close up pics and dimensions before I go again!;)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Just read the full write up Neil - good times, thanks for sharing

173.jpg

Here you go

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it was a blast, if only we had long, empty stretches of trails like that in UK!

A very professional looking SatNav mount!

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Respect! The trails look terrifying but madly exciting too. Great photos to :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Yes, it was a blast, if only we had long, empty stretches of trails like that in UK!

A very professional looking SatNav mount!
It's a piece of stainless bar same diameter as the crossbar, bent into the right shape (this took a few tries to get the right angles), the ends are threaded and an eye-bolt inserted with a lock nut, that way I could level it up, all bolted through the fairing and screen.

At first test the satnav was still bobbing around so I got some stainless P-clips and bolted these as high as possible on the screen. Worked very well and there is only a sleight movement. On the very rocky terrain that we encountered the whole set up worked well and survived without any signs of fatigue on the screen or fairing mounting positions

Job done !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your inspirational answers Neil and Paul. I hadn't thought of bolting the GPS mount directly to the fairing... thought it would vibrate to much. Apparently not :)
I will fiddle with something similar this winter. DIY solutions are the best :cool:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Thanks for your inspirational answers Neil and Paul. I hadn't thought of bolting the GPS mount directly to the fairing... thought it would vibrate to much. Apparently not :)
I will fiddle with something similar this winter. DIY solutions are the best :cool:
The lower mount is bolted through the cowling subframe for support - I used this on its own first but it was not strong enough hence the P Clips higher up to spread the load

Welcome to the forum n0tavailable

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Really enjoyed your report. Those are amazing drop-offs, and the bridge looks like something from a fantasy story!

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
France and Spain never fail to amaze me with their beauty, especially as I'm into rugged mountains etc. I was really surprised that we never encountered any other off-roaders on the trip. A good thing really as it does make you feel that you're having more of an adventure. Thanks Paul for the SatNav holder details, bit of shed action needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts