Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last year i heard a zumzum (like a bee) from the front cilinder! i suspected the radiator guard
this winter i have changed the guards and checked the valves(all ok, proof what the former owner said to me). now i hear another sound...something like tzac tzac tzac, and it-s rithmic with the engine and the exhaust gases.
i went with the bike to the AT guru here in romania and he said that this is not a valve sound but did not managed to solve the ridle. the bikes runs fine(now, after the the carb clean), starts a little hard(i think that the idle speed is set to low) and she feel ok but i can not sleep well cause of that sound
tzacanit.mp4 - YouTube
sec. 22-23 the sound can be heard at the best
any idea?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It sounds fine to me. I can't make out anything sinister on the video soundtrack. Sometimes it's difficult to hear on video though.

Based on your description, check the spark plugs are not loose and that the front exhaust gasket isn't blowing slightly. Either of these will make a bit of a ticking noise that is frequently mistaken for camchain/small end noise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are signs of use on the bolts that fit the front exhaust , unlike the bolts of the rear exhaust pipe ! how do i manage to recognise if this is the problem?

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
i don't know if this may help diagnosing the source of the noise but would it be possible to disconnect the front cylinder HT lead while it is running to listen for a change in noise, maybe even remove the spark plug? (not while running :))

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
i don't know if this may help diagnosing the source of the noise but would it be possible to disconnect the front cylinder HT lead while it is running to listen for a change in noise, maybe even remove the spark plug? (not while running :))
Having listened to this on different speakers I would say definately exhaust gasket. I would replace with a new one, new studs and a bit of exhaust paste. Also check for cracks around the flange.

Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having listened to this on different speakers I would say definately exhaust gasket. I would replace with a new one, new studs and a bit of exhaust paste. Also check for cracks around the flange.

Good luck :thumbup:
thanks! i found black deposits on the flange and on the frame, at the hidden bolt. i am going to get a little messi but hopefully i will repair it.
ahhhh...question about the exhaust gasket! the manual and at wemoto i found the copper gasket but a couple of my friend told me that they did not find any copper gasket when they dismantled theirs AT's

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
You need to get the correct gasket as the front and rear ones are different sizes. The likely reason why your friends may not have seen the gaskets when removing their exhausts is that they compress so much into the port when the exhaust is tightened down that they look like part of the cylinder head. The easiest way to get them out is ease them out with the blade of a flat blade screwdriver working across the port.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to get the correct gasket as the front and rear ones are different sizes. .
is there the possibility that the rd04 model L doesn't have different sizes? cause i couldn't find 2 sizes in some internet shops .
well, can anyone please provide me the correct sizes for the exhaust gasket form my RD04 model L
thanks in advance
ps : i found this ones 35X43X4 MM and 38X45X5.3 MM

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
They are different sizes on the RD04. Lots of internet shops supply two the same size which is wrong.

Rear is: 18291MN4920
Front is: 18291MM5860

I don't know the exact sizes I'm afraid.

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
You need to get the correct gasket as the front and rear ones are different sizes. The likely reason why your friends may not have seen the gaskets when removing their exhausts is that they compress so much into the port when the exhaust is tightened down that they look like part of the cylinder head. The easiest way to get them out is ease them out with the blade of a flat blade screwdriver working across the port.
That´s the gasket leaking all right. I remember I had difficulties to find the gaskets too when I removed the exhaust pipes for the first time. They are there, however, as Alan says, just pressed flat and dark. Out of the box the gaskets are thick and round, but they do get incredibly flat when the nuts are tightened.
I usually buy the OEM parts, as there are too many idiots out there selling two gaskets with the same size, and how would I trust their quality if they can´t even figure the right size for the parts they try to replace.
To remove the gasket, drive a 2mm screwdriver flat into the surface ((i.e. into the seat of the gasket where you believe there is no gasket..). The gasket will come out then; using a screwdriver as a lever between the side of the cylinder outlet and the gasket will do no good but instead leave marks in the gasket seat, as the cylinder head is aluminum.
For reassembly, put some copper grease on the gasket when re-installing which will prevent them from falling out of the cylinder seat during reassembly. Torque on the 07a is 27Nm; so it should not be different on the 04 which has the same engine, if I recall correctly. Sequence of tightening the nuts is (per 07a Honda manual): Rear outer, rear inner, front outer, front inner nut, although I personally do it turn by turn on all four to ensure flat seating of both gaskets.

If you can´t figure it out until July I´ll stop by in Romania during our Trans-Karpatia family trip :)

If you haven´t found it in the How To already, here´s the link to the complete disassembly picture set (including fork revision):

http://tinyurl.com/RD07aPictures (short)
or
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnlu4l2n4philm1/D_4Abs24m7

Cheers
Chris

Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Cookie- Danke! i've used your pics long before you posted but thanks again cause now i've got all pics downloaded on my pc and phone. when you come to timisoara please email me cause i would like to know you face to face and buy you a beer!
i managed to buy the gaskets (got to wait a couple of days) and a friend provided me the necessary tools(that joint and some kinda springlike extension)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts