Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lowflier and me had a quick blast on Skye, Lovely weather.
The best period of sunshine for 31 years apparently.
Predictable destination, unfortunately it was shut.

View attachment 1927

This picture is not very good, how do you get the bigger pictures onto posts ?

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Hi Rick,

Good little run out.
What's happened to the weather ??

9 weeks of complete drought and now back to this crap :sad10:
Never mind, hope it's only short term. I will give you a bell when I take the bike over next.

Cheers

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
The best period of sunshine for 31 years apparently.

Ah..man.. You're not making me feel any better :D I was supposed to be away camping in the highlands for last weekend up until mid week this week. After a few setbacks delaying me for a couple of days, by the time I was finally ready to leave on Sunday I'd managed to wound my thigh and get it infected, so I've been stuck at home not able to ride, looking out of the window at the sunshine and the weather reports for scotland thinking 'oh bugger'. Not only that but it's about the only break I've had from work for ages where I'd had the opportunity to get away. What a numpty!

I hope there's some more of that sunshine on its way soon!

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
P.S. If you've got any more photos of your skye trip I'd love to see them. It wasn't on my itinary but if I get away again soon I might try to swing it for a bit longer and visit the islands (budget and time wouldn't allow for it this time but it looks like it may be a week or more before I get away now). Applecross is on my map (want to do that pass of the cattle road) and skye isn't far from there I think.

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
Applecross is on my map (want to do that pass of the cattle road) and skye isn't far from there I think.
From the top of the Pass of the Cattle you can see most of Skye - when the clouds aren't too low :D

The very top is where these guys are pointing (actually they are just pointing to the blue bit of sky thats just visible - a rare sight at this altitude) - this was taken after we'd ascended / decended the hill :)

Your approx 45 min ride from the top of the Pass to the bridge to Skye - enjoy the roads when you here.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
From the top of the Pass of the Cattle you can see most of Skye - when the clouds aren't too low :D
What's skye like to ride around? Is it a good place to visit on the bike (big enough to spend the full day there riding around and maybe camp overnight?)

When I started planning my route you're a bit spoilt for choice once you get so far north it seems and I found myself looking at the map and thinking 'I'm almost at such and such a place, then once I'm there, I'm only x miles from this other place and so on. Given limited time and budget it's a bit hard to choose. It looks like you could easily spend a month or more riding around up there and still not visit every place that looks interesting.

Even limiting my options, it was still a bit of a toss up between spending more time around the west coast, or heading inland towards lochness (somewhere I've always wanted to visit) before coming home.

The very top is where these guys are pointing (actually they are just pointing to the blue bit of sky thats just visible - a rare sight at this altitude) - this was taken after we'd ascended / decended the hill :)
Can you ride right up there? (looks like there's a track leading up to the top).

Your approx 45 min ride from the top of the Pass to the bridge to Skye - enjoy the roads when you here.
There's a bridge to skye? I thought you'd need to get a ferry. That's what was putting me off a bit as I'll be on a bit of a shoestring budget and trying to save as much money as possible for fuel and the odd campsite stop to have a shower in between wild-camping.

I didn't realise there's a bridge there. I'll have to have another look at my map. If I don't need to get a ferry I'll definitely have a look over there as well when I finally get up there.

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
Answers to your questions in order:-

Yes it's big enough to take all day to see Skye.

Yes, there is a track and you can ride up to the top . .

Yes, there is a bridge over to Skye at Kyle of Lochalsh, and since 2005, it's free to cross it (there are still ferry service's if your that way inclined :rolleyes:)

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Thanks for the reply :) That road up to the top looks great. I haven't taken the bike off-road yet (and don't really trust myself or have the skills yet), but that dirt track up that hill looks like I might be able to manage it and might be a good first go (probably sounds stupid to everyone who really rides off-road but one step at a time for me).

Thanks also about the bridge info. If there's a bridge you can ride over for free I'll definitely put that on my list of places to visit now. I was a bit put off because I thought you could only get there by ferry and it'd be maybe £20-£30 return or something (just a wild guess but if that was the case it'd be a day or two petrol for me and I'd rather be using it for riding rather than ferry fees).

I'll have another look on google maps tonight and revise my route to include skye and that crossing :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Zenarchy
You are welcome to give me a shout, if you are coming over to Skye.

If you need info, pm me.

Rick

Kyleakin, just across the FREE bridge.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lowflyer

"I will give you a bell when I take the bike over next."

I was going to phone you but bit busy.

Took the bike to Mitchells for a service this morning, (north route) trying out the new screen, great run there and back, wet on the straights and dry on the corners. Brilliant.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Lowflyer

"I will give you a bell when I take the bike over next."

I was going to phone you but bit busy.

Took the bike to Mitchells for a service this morning, (north route) trying out the new screen, great run there and back, wet on the straights and dry on the corners. Brilliant.

Rick,

Passed you on the way at Achnasheen. I was heading towards Skye :D

in the car :mad:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick,

Passed you on the way at Achnasheen. I was heading towards Skye :D

in the car :mad:
Lets just get this straight, so there is no doubt, you passed me going the otherway.
A car did not overtake me in the highlands.
I have my reputation to think of you know.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Zenarchy
You are welcome to give me a shout, if you are coming over to Skye.

If you need info, pm me.

Rick

Kyleakin, just across the FREE bridge.
Thanks Rick. Much appreciated :)

I'm hoping to still get up there sometime this month (all going well), so if you're not busy and would like to meet up somewhere and go for a ride on skye when I'm up there I'll give you a shout. Not sure when it'll be now exactly but sometime over this month with a bit of luck. I'll drop you a pm when I'm planning to leave to see if you're around and have time.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll drop you a pm when I'm planning to leave to see if you're around and have time.[/quote]

You never know, some of the others may come as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts