Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found some green lanes localish to me but a few seem to stop and become bridleways half way through. Do you then have to stop and turn around thus avoiding the bridleway ?
Thanks
Alex

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I've found some green lanes localish to me but a few seem to stop and become bridleways half way through. Do you then have to stop and turn around thus avoiding the bridleway ?
Thanks
Alex
Yep!

The reason why the route changes part way along the lane is most likely something to do with how the route was recorded when it was entered onto the definitive map, if you think that the route you are riding has been recorded wrongly you can challenge it and have the route recorded correctly on the definitive map, it is possible that where the lane changes to a bridleway it is still actually a road with vehicular rights of way but if you carry on riding it you could be entering a whole new world of bother!

Have a look at this:
Public Rights Of Way - Definitive Map
You'll most likely find something on your county website along the same lines as this if you do a search, If you want to do a few green lanes you might want to check out the TRF for advice, you'll also get access to a site that will show you where you can ride but I can't remember what it's called...

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I've been caught on the same scenario a few times and legally yes you do have to turn around and go back but, in the last few years loads of lanes and byways have been reclassified. Twice i have been caught by the police in an area that they said wasn't legal at the time.

The first time was due to people moving down from up country that didn't want the noise of motorcycles on mining waste ground on Sunday's and were whinging and moaning, legally there was nothing the police could do it wasn't public highways and was common ground, to cut a long story short the people got mining surveys done to proove the ground was dangerous and shouldn't be used. They all clubbed together and had soil samples taken the result was positive for Arsenic and other chemicals as all of cornwall is.
Now realising they devalued there houses by 50% they decided to sue the police. When we came down of a specific area 2 coppers jumped out a hedge and checked we were legal and the bike's were legal they explained about the twats in the area and said to us and i quote " if you come down here again and see us here go left if we are on the left go right" the reason for this was the lane was 1/2 on the Falmouth patch and 1/2 on the Truro patch and they couldn't cross over it so there were either police from Falmouth or truro there but never from both. They were no more interested in doing the bike than i am interested in sewing machines.

The second time was in the Valley behind my mothers i've live it for 30 years + i went through it with a mate and a cop car came the other way and stopped us. The officers had recently moved down here from Birmingham :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: to say he was clueless was an understatement obviously had all his info from a text book but was a nice copper. Having listen to him tell us there was no right of way and it was council ground and we were trepassing i laughed at him. Then told him there was right of way through it and that was clearly marked on all OS maps then showed him as i had a map on the bike. I then explained to him a mining group in Blackwater had the rights to the area and the council had nothing to do with it in the last 15 years since a wagon loads of pikeys turned up and parked there and burgalary went up 400% in local area. I also pointed out to him that a chap who lived at the opposite end of the valley had land which bike's were allowed on to practise and the access was required to get to him. I offered to see him in court with no hesitation and he said "you seem to know what your talking about, go on but don't make too much noise. " to which i replied " Thank you, but surely there's better and bigger crimes you could be solving instead of a battle you'll never win" to which he replied " please sir do not put me in that positon.

So if i was you i would just stay legal ride your area and just make sure you know where you are going and it's history. The reason for this being so many lanes have been reclassified that the average copper on the beat ain't got a clue about whats what and in my experience they aren't interested in prosecuting it. They just like to know there presence has been felt.

The other way around it is to put your regisration plate on with adhesive velcro, that way if you are unsure you can just whip it off stick it in your coat then when your on the road again you can re-attach it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahahahahaha, well im glad you knew your stuff and managed to point out where their time should be spent :'D. I will keep it as legal as my map reading skills will allow just to be on the safe side. And will taking your plates off not make it illegal on bridleways ? :)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Boris junior;642949And will taking your plates off not make it illegal on bridleways ? :)[/QUOTE said:
Yeah :-D:-D but you won't get caught :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Oh Jason, its good to hear that some NIMBY's have lost out by sticking their nose in where it should have not have been, that Jeremy Clarkson thing that's been kicking off in the Isle of man for a few years makes my blood boil, he buys a house with land attached, there's a bloody great footpath that allows walkers to look into his house while he's making breakfast so he tries to get it closed, did he not know this before he bought the house?

I love watching Top gear and I like his (OK, well, some of his) humour but he does come across as a right [email protected] at times

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Hahahahahaha, well im glad you knew your stuff and managed to point out where their time should be spent :'D. I will keep it as legal as my map reading skills will allow just to be on the safe side. And will taking your plates off not make it illegal on bridleways ? :)
Speak with your local rights of way officer, they are generally quite helpful, just ask them and see what they say, before you ring them get your map out and find the grid ref, it'll make it easier to explain where you mean.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speak with your local rights of way officer, they are generally quite helpful, just ask them and see what they say, before you ring them get your map out and find the grid ref, it'll make it easier to explain where you mean.
Ah right ! how will I find a contact number for them ? Just google ? Thats a great help though, thank you !

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Ah right ! how will I find a contact number for them ? Just google ? Thats a great help though, thank you !
Google knows everything, you just need to ask the right questions!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I love watching Top gear and I like his (OK, well, some of his) humour but he does come across as a right [email protected] at times
Clarkson is actually a very clever and sensible man but he's made millions by saying things to wind people up and get a reaction out them and it's worked for him. I agree he can come over as a t$at sometimes on TV but thats playing for the camera's, nobody ever mentions all the charity work he does for things like help for hero's you only ever hear of people moaning about things he said. At least he makes sunday evening tv funny and worth buying a license for as there's f**kall else on worth watching of late

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to say I agree. He may say the wrong things at times but his outspoken-ness adds to his t.v character.
And I now work with someone that does green laning !! Al be it in a land rover but I can be shown good routes

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I know what you mean! I kinda like Jeremy Clarkson the person, and I "love to hate" Jeremy Clarkson the fictional character on the telly. That is, I disagree with lots of things he says, but love watching the shows on which he says them, LOL!

As others have said, strictly speaking you ought to check the Definitive Map at the local authority. The TRF is a good source of up-to-date information. An up-to-date OS map should show the status of each trail, but it won't show any Traffic Regulation Orders.

I've been told that a common reason for a Byeway abruptly becoming a Restricted Byeway (bridlepath) is due to parish boundaries. Where one Parish Council was happy with the Byeway status but the other objected, we get these dead-end trails.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Yeah :-D:-D but you won't get caught :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:
...but if you do then you'll be in serious trouble. With a detachable plate detached and inside your jacket, it's effectively attempting to pervert the course of justice and that really doesn't go down well.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
...but if you do then you'll be in serious trouble. With a detachable plate detached and inside your jacket, it's effectively attempting to pervert the course of justice and that really doesn't go down well.
Don't think anybody is particularily woried about that. I think they are more worried about stopping interfeering busy bodies getting there number and reporting them to the old bill.

End of the day if the old bill get the helicopter out you ain't got a chance but the chance of that is slim to nil. Many times i've heard of encounters locally with the old bill never yet heard of them scrambling air wolf

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
In South Wales the Police have enforcement teams to tackle illegal off-roading (mostly targetting young oiks on dirtbikes tearing up waste-land and common land). The enforcement teams include officers with some off-road riding ability and one or two motocross/enduro riders that the kids will never get away from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts