Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MRA Screen

The standard screen on the 1100GS is OK but I've only heard good things about the MRA screen, so, seeing them on offer the other week I thought I'd treat myself...

This is it on it's lowest setting. There's certainly more screen area in front of you and on my short test ride it does offer more protection though there's probably a little more turbulence too. I'll see how this pans out during the year.

Remus Grand Prix

When I bought my GS, the Remus Revolution (Aluminium) can was already fitted and it's always been a tad loud for my taste. As the baffle was in, I thought it needed repacking.

Today, at the Scottish Motorcycle Show I spotted a Remus Grand Prix (Stainless) on one of the jumble stands for £20 and thought it might make a temporary replacement while I restuffed the other can. I made the man an offer (a matter of pride, I still consider myself to be from Yorkshire
) and we settled on £15. It was at that point I realised it was an unused, ex-display item with a couple of scratches on it. What a bargain!

Once I'd got the old can off I could see the previous owner had cut the business end of the baffle off, it might as well not have been there. The Grand Prix sounds great, deep but quiet. I've left the Touratech racks off for the time being as I don't think I'll be camping this year.

It's like I've got a whole 'new' bike for £125. Now I just need to get it MOT'd and taxed

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I had the high and low standard screens when I had my 850GS; same as yours except the pots.
I also tried the vario too.

It was the best bike to ride, but the worst for wind noise. I find now that better ear plugs are de rigeur.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had the high and low standard screens when I had my 850GS; same as yours except the pots.
I also tried the vario too.

It was the best bike to ride, but the worst for wind noise. I find now that better ear plugs are de rigeur.
So the vario was best for riding but worst for wind noise? That sound about right given my experiences with different screens on my AT. I might try just the bottom half of the vario if I can't get on with it, or even cut down the original screen (I think it's the normal/low one).

I always ride with earplugs John, have done for about 20 years. I've tried once or twice without over the years, you know, just a short trip into town, but never managed to get to into 2nd gear before going back to fetching 'em. I usually have about 10 pairs in various pockets, in the tool tray, tank bag, etc. 'just in case'! :D

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Sounds like a successful day at the show Jim.
I mean, a new Remus for sale at 20 quid & being too expensive. Whatever next ;)

Nice work anyway, I take it you are keeping the bike now?

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
No Jim, when I said best bike to ride, it had nothing to do with the screen.

For me, I just found the screen position the worst; only fault with the bike though:thumbup:

I discovered later that it can also relate to the helmet and jacket combo!

Depending which snood, jacket etc. so, I think that proved it was my helmet design.

I tried one of those wind jammer helmet things, fantastic, only problem..... I have a flip up helmet!!

So, the wind jammer worked on a big stretch of motorway in Spain, but when you stopped, the blooming thing would have to come off and not a two minute job getting it back on.

Actually, thinking back to it, it was the gear combo, because if I tilted my head down, it was a very quiet ride.... It would be nice to see where I was going though :D

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes, I know the jacket/ helmet combo makes a huge difference - it did on my AT too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a successful day at the show Jim.
I mean, a new Remus for sale at 20 quid & being too expensive. Whatever next ;)

Nice work anyway, I take it you are keeping the bike now?

Phil

sent from my 'phone
I thought you'd appreciate the 'discount' I negotiated. We both knew the can was cheap, but as I pointed out to the guy, I was doing him a favour because now he didn't have to cart it around anymore. He asked if I was from Yorkshire and said that, despite their reputation for parsimony, the Scots could learn a thing or two from Yorkshire folk :) It was all in good fun.
Hey Phil, I think I've got a Vulcan print for you - I'll get to you at some point this year :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts