Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello BMWers!

My 1150 RT apparently had a new clutch fitted before i took delivery - I took it out today for a ride (first one) and it seems that the clutch is slipping!:(

does the clutch need time to bed like new brake pads or do i need to go easy for a few hundred miles?

I know not many people have RTs but i presume the 1150 running gear is pretty similar across all the bikes!

I first noticed it at 70 mph in 6th gear when i accelerated to get out of the way of a numpty, the revs went up (lots) but the speed didn't!

I have had new tyres on it (20 miles ago) and know that they have a slippy coating etc but surely the RT isn't powerful enough to spin the wheel at that speed in 6th?

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

Z

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I think the r1150 has a dry diaphragm clutch, like a car. Most bikes have a wet Multi plate clutch. I had the clutch out on an r80st to replace an oil seal in about 1984.

Does it need running in? Doubt it, but I am not an expert. I would expect it to feel a bit spongy to start with and need adjusting soon after fitting to take up initial wear - the clutch would probably be dragging

If it's a cable clutch check it's adjusted properly at both ends. If it's hydraulic I haven't a clue. I do know that on the old air heads I had in the 90's thegearbox oil seal was prone to leakage which would contaminate the clutch. Tell tale sign was oil at the back of the engine/gearbox. This is what I had but the clutch was ok.

So, dunno really. Someone who knows what they are talking about will be along shortly.

Good luck

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks austin - it's a hydraulic clutch! (well theres no cables on it!)

go on the LV whaddaya think?

gonna get hold of the guy who sold it to me hopefully he can shed some light - he's a BMW techy type!

Z:D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Sounds very much like a slipping clutch to me!....does it stink? The dry clutch on these things really stink if they are worked or slipping,

Just so you know though there is a common problem on the RT (bmws?) If the bike has been through a winter or two most of the compression washers on them tend to have the integrity of a tea bag! They are mostly aluminium and the slave on the back of the clutch is in a position to be a prime suspect. The salt eats through them (sump plug too!) and can unceromoniously dump its guts on the drive!! usually progressive with pin hole leaks but eventually (if ignored long enough:rolleyes:) it goes completely especially under pressure (clutch!) If it has not been bled up properly, (maybe overfilled and not engaging properly?) which can be a pig, it may have expanding air in it at temp working the slave slightly but I doubt it and would expect a bit of dribble back out of the reservoir on the bars if that was the case??

The oil cooler pipe can go like this too. Get a Clymer manual for it. Worth every penny (loads of pretty pictures :thumbleft: if like me you struggle with the read'y stuff!:confused:)

Have to wonder why in 6th though and you haven't noticed it in lower gears like 1st??:confused:

It didn't go clunk bang did it? I have had one not properly in gear a couple of times before go slip and then clunk bang. There are the odd although hard to find, falses in there if you don't kick rather than (jap) click them into gear.

All just thoughts mind you as I'm about as much use as a Snap-on Vader!:rolleyes::D:hitler:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Hi Damian your lord ship, check for any oil leaks around the joint between engine and gear box, find out where it had a clutch fitted go and ask them did they change all the seals when they done the job. Also a Yeti has said the clutch slave is a [email protected] they fill up with water and fo okup. they are situated behind the swing arm a berstard of a job unless you break your arm in 4 pieces they cost about £70.

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice one thanks Yeti and J!

will get me a manual and have a look!

Z:D:cool:

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turns out that the clutch had been replaced but was described by my local garage as a 'botch job'.

the pressure plate needed replacing along with a number of other bits.

whilst working on the bike they found that bits have been attached with a motley assortment of differing bolts and they even found a broken drill bit!!!

i am very much not happy about all of this!

but they said that it will be ready tomorrow for me to pick up and then i will finally after about 7 months be back on the road!

the moral of this story - unless you are doing it for yourself get it done at a garage!!:(:rolleyes:

hooooooooray!:D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
sorry to hear all this! The rts don't normally lend themselves towards being owned by the bodging type, you must have just got unlucky. Or had one that was owned by a guy with 'this mate yeah, who knows what he is doing like!' :rolleyes:

I have never understood how folk trash the clutches on these things??:confused: but you hear a few stories and always get the rumour whispers 'oooooh those things have dodgy clutches!' ???:confused: Not something I would ever agree with.

Anyway hope it is all sorted because as a rule you should have trouble free riding. I changed fork seals, one set of bevel box pivot bearings, and a set of front wheel bearings from 40k upto 70+k on my last one beyond normal servicing. The discs were a bit worn but should have made the 11mnths to the next mot.

Having put nearly 30k on my new(er) one I have had one ignition coil and fork slider seals, and possibly some front wheel bearings??? can't remember without checking my service stuff.:rolleyes:

fingers crossed for you matey!

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Yeti,

yeah i think the mate in a shed approach is a pain in the ass!

unless it is a mate you trust and is there to help you do a job you are unsure about!

i'm pretty dissapointed with this whole affair as I bought the bike from someone i trusted and it appears to be a nightmare, nothing terminal but plenty of stuff that you wouldn't let slip!

come the better weather i'm gonna take the panels off and have a good luck around - apparently there is some wiring that has been altered or broken into and has been covered with masking tape not electrical tape. I know it sounds like nothing but i'm kinda thinking it may be symptomatic of the approach to the rest of the bike!

ah well, ya live and learn! Lets be fair whilst it is a hugely expensive pain in the ass that i could have done without, there are people inthe world worse off!

theres my friday thought!!

now i'm off to cry and gibber in a corner!:(

Z

1 - 12 of 12 Posts