Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 700 has always run a bit hot. I am thinking about swapping those 2 tiny radiators for a single large one. My question is would it be a simple swap or is there anything there to stop me doing it, some technical reason? I guess radiators are pretty simple but would like to hear from someone who has done it.

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
Does it really run hot, or is it just that the gauge reads hot? If it's really running hot, is anything obstructing airflow to the rads? Does the fan work as it should?
(Given that the bike's been sold in"world" markets, its cooling system should be more than adequate for Britain's cool climate).
I think Mr Honda uses the twin radiators because there's a frame member in the middle that would obstruct airflow to a full-width single rad .... the centre section wouldn't really be effective as it's out of airflow

·
Xi dwejjaq member
921 Posts
You could try servicing the cooling system. Flushing it. Putting in fresh coolant and ensuring that the cooling system is properly bled.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How hot are we talking about? Normal running in mild weather mine normally sits on about 76 degrees. Once I hit either town or slow traffic it soon starts to rise, 80-90 degrees is normal. When riding in very hot conditions or/and lots of stop/start traffic it's not unusual to see 104 on the gauge.

Nick.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks. I rode around town yesterday and hit a bit of traffic and the fan was kicking in already. It's March and temperatures are low. I know how 700 are, I had mine for about 2 years now but it drives me round the bend still.....that is why i thought of upgrading the radiator. The fan kicks in when the temp reaches 103C, I guess I just have to live with it.....

·
Registered
789 Posts
Presume from your location this is occurring in and around London - if so it's not to be unexpected. I bought my TA650 in London and it got quite hot with fan kicking in on the ride home across the congested city an overcast May Saturday afternoon. Never got that hot since in the 3 years I've owned the bike.

As already suggested service the cooling system so its doing its best.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Vicky, I have thoroughly flushed the system and put in new coolant, checked all the hoses and rad cap, as well as radiators for leaks. Basically I have done all it can be done that is why I am asking .....although I can be obsessive about things

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine runs at 78-80 nothing unusual ,that is until you get into some traffic , then the fan kicks in every few minutes ,as soon as you hit a break in traffic runs fine. If you have flushed (including rad) and replaced coolant and cleaned between rad fins (carefully) should be all good.
Nothing wrong with being obsessive , it's the difference between thinking and knowing something is done .:thumbright::thumbleft:

Reactions: queasy rider
1 - 11 of 11 Posts