Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitted a Powerbronze flip screen on my Alp recently...Usual story....Noisier but less buffeting...

On the way back from the coast Monday night in the rain ....I cant clear the rain from my visor !!!!!!!!!...Scary thing on the A22 in the pitch black with headlights in front and behind me.....

My old screen directed the wind straight on to my visor and kept it clear.....Can't for the life of me remember how I used to do it before... but I suspect that 'cos my wet riding was all done in town I just used to flip the visor up !!.....Not pleasant on a fast on a rural A road. :(

I've just put some of that "rain clear" stuff on but I don't want another experience like that...:confused2:

Considering going back to my original low screen....(less high speed weave anyway)

What do you every day riders do...??? :)

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
My gloves have a strip of leather that's 'wrong way up' so I can use my finger as a goggle wiper.

G

·
I had the powerbronze touring type screen on my alp. In the rain it was brilliant. The rain was just swept off my visor all the time upwards.

Other than that, the screen was sheite. buffeting was so bad i used to get motion blur, and wind noise even with ear protectors was deafening. Im 6ft tall and that may have been a bad height when sat on the alp with that particular screen I had.

At the nec show last year they were selling a product similar to rain x that you put on the visor and it stopped the rain effectively sitting on the visor.

Ive found as a short term cheap method that when I clean my visor, I use neat washing up liquid, and then wipe it off with a soft cloth, it leaves a thin film on the visor which ive found helps the rain sweep off. Other than that being a very short term solution, have you tried turning your head sideways left or right to get the wind to sweep it off .

Another alternative is half a tennis ball on some some string with sponge glued into it so it sits proud of the edge of the ball. Seen a few people do that.

Paul

·
Registered
96 Posts
I turn my head to the right and this blows the worst of the water off temporarily.

I've got a 1998 TA with a Powerbronze touring screen fitted and I'm 6ft. I don't have this problem. Strange how small differences in bike/rider can make a big difference in other areas.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'll be honest......I turned my head every way but sideways.......:confused: :rolleyes:

Seems so obvious from here.......

I'll try a mix of the above + I'll stuff a rag in front....

Forgetting to put the airhawk on may not have helped !!!!!

Thanks Chaps.....I thought the old fella had forgotten some miracle cure....:study:

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
I'll be honest......I turned my head every way but sideways.......:confused: :rolleyes:

Seems so obvious from here.......

I'll try a mix of the above + I'll stuff a rag in front....

Forgetting to put the airhawk may not have helped !!!!!

Thanks Chaps.....I thought the old fella had forgotten some miracle cure....:study:
Well my journey home on Monday night was a bit fraught with my visor getting constantly covered in spray that didn't run off. I didn't ever remember it being that bad last year.................that was before I fitted the Powerbronze to the TA.

I tried all the usual moving my head sharply from side to side, but my helmet isn't in clear air to self clean with the Powerbronze fitted. I ended up wiping the visor every 30 seconds or so with the wiper on the back of my glove finger.

I came to the same conclusion it was caused by the screen :( Shame as I like the reduction in wind pressure the screen gives.

I will wait for some more rain and try the original screen again to see if it was this or just that it was the first dark wet ride home of the year.

Interesting you also mention high speed weave with the higher screen, I get this too.

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my journey home on Monday night was a bit fraught with my visor getting constantly covered in spray that didn't run off. I didn't ever remember it being that bad last year.................that was before I fitted the Powerbronze to the TA.

I tried all the usual moving my head sharply from side to side, but my helmet isn't in clear air to self clean with the Powerbronze fitted. I ended up wiping the visor every 30 seconds or so with the wiper on the back of my glove finger.

I came to the same conclusion it was caused by the screen :( Shame as I like the reduction in wind pressure the screen gives.

I will wait for some more rain and try the original screen again to see if it was this or just that it was the first dark wet ride home of the year.

Interesting you also mention high speed weave with the higher screen, I get this too.

Yeah Russh...that weave kicks in at 70 something and fades if I increase speed...distracting thing to watch though...It feels like I'm being bashed on each shoulder alternately...makes me wonder if that's where the weave comes from...i.e. From top down instead of bottom up...:confused:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Mini windscreen wiper/s? (Battery operated?) Perfect solution?!:D
"Rain? What rain?"..........coat again, please.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts