Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

A few days ago I discovered (first by smell, then by sight) a rather serious oil leak from the valve cover gasket on the rear cylinder, close to the exhaust. Luckily I had a couple of new gaskets lying around, so I popped the tank and put on a new gasket. I put on a thin coat of copper paste on the gasket to make disassembly easier in the future. The old gasket was no longer a snug fit -- it seemed to have shrinked over the years. Even though the valve cover bolts were tightened to spec, the cover would sit loosely and slide around on the gasket. The new gasket fixed this completely.

This leak came suddenly and violently, and would have mucked up the engine pretty badly had I not discovered it so early (and also drained quite a bit of engine oil). So keep a keen eye on your gaskets, they might fail fast when they fail :)

Also, this upcoming saturday I'm riding from Norway to northern Italy via Germany. Check out my trip thread: http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/meet-ups-rideouts/116241-northern-italy-alps-end-september.html

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Mine went in Italy this year but was only weaping but still made a mess at the back of the engine. The front one's fine.

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Copper paste is not advisable, really. I´d expect that particular seal to blow out sooner or later. Heat-resistent special silicone such as Dirko or Hylomar is needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts