Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it's worth splashing out :)D) for an electric power shower, as oppossed to the running costs of sticking the emersion tank on for an hour. I know it will vary on size and power of heating element in tank and power of power shower etc, is it worth investigating futher or is it likely to be minimal saving (and just the expense of getting and fitting a shower) more for the misses, I'm not fussed.:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A power shower would be a better option. If you are pluming one in the only problem would be the electrical connections.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
If you get a pump to make the shower worth having you'll need a humungous heater element to heat enough water for it to work properly. Big as it is, logically it'll use no more electricity (less, actually) than heating with the immersion heater and storing it.

But a power shower can empty an immersion tank fairly quick and once the hot water has gone you are going to have to wait two hours for it to be hot again. For that reasons, when I put a pump on the shower in the days before combi boilers, I installed a second hot water tank to store hot water from the immersion heater, which meant no unpleasant temperature drop in the shower but twice the electricity use.

Frankly, no electric system compares with a gas combi boiler. You generally need no pump (because the feed to the boiler is at mains pressure) and you heat whatever you use &/or can heat it for as long as you want to stand in the shower. The only drawback is that the central heating is not being heated much while the hot water is in use, but unless four people had a shower immediately after each other, you are unlikely to notice the difference.

:thumbright:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
put a bigger shower cubicle in and shower together,
no wait a minute you wouyld spend so long in the shower it would use all the water anyway forget that one if it is economy you want, on the other hand if you want fun then well just do it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have a look at venturi showers,you get lots of flow and don't have to run in a cable,which also means you need a spare way on your fuse board,as electric showers generally need a dedicated breaker.
Gray

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all (I'll check out the Venturi showers when I get a min)
Merv, like e, I be in Devon, I got no new fangled cenral eeeting, and only gaaas be from them effers out back:thumbleft:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts