Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to get back into biking after a 3 year break. Bought a nice little bike last week,very clean, reasonably priced and the seller was in Garda College with me and a one time business associate outside the Gardai. The only real stumbling block was getting the mother used to the idea that i would be back on those horrible dangerous bikes...

Or so I thought. Rang around today to sort out insurance. Last time I had a GTR1000 and was paying €250 third party.

This time,because my no claims bonus has lapsed,I'm back on the bottom of the ladder again.
Let me remind you that I am 33, have had a full (UK Test)motorcycle licence for 10 years and begun driving bikes 12 years ago, with only 2 moderately nasty accidents in the meantime.The last year biking I trained and worked as a motorcycle driving instructor(DSA).
The new bike is a 1998 @T
€1600 fully comprehensive. €600 third party only. Aon won't even quote me until I get assessed by an "approved instructor". How does one get assessed if you cannot insure the machine in the first place. I know for a fact when I was instructing no insurance company would cover the instructors and their students.

Another twist in this tale. Carole Nash give you the option of paying your premium in installments.
Excellent says I. Soften the blow on the bank account.

But sadly all is not as it seems. What they require,in addition to the deposit,is 3 post dated cheques for the balance,dated one month apart.
Now I don't have a current account, so no cheque book. When i asked my bank for advice, they gasped in horror and suggested that the practice is pretty not legal. The potential for foul ups on the insurers part is massive,and the result,should they loose a cheque is that your insurance is deemed null and void.

Wonderful.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
goldiefish said:
When i asked my bank for advice, they gasped in horror and suggested that the practice is pretty not legal.
Indeed post dated cheques are technically illegal as you're writing a cheque when you don't have the money, and you mustn't write a cheque unless you have the money.

I work for a bank and it wasn't that long ago that the bank would take disciplinary action and potentially sack you if you went overdrawn outside of any agreed facility!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't know if you have a credit card, but you can pay the installments with it as well with CN.

By the way, I have a feeling that the rates have started to creep up with Hibernian leaving the Irish insurance market.

Insurance from North sounds interesting. Let me know if that works out!

G

·
If you try Open and Direct or Adelaide. I will ask around for any other Northern Ireland companies and hopefully you will get something.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sticking with the mainstream irish based companies for now(Zenith and RSA thru CN) there is always the danger that some judge will decide your unusual policy does not cover you when you need it to so i'll stick with the tried and trusted.
This happened with CN some years ago when they stopped underwriting following a liquidation of their parent company. Those with policies were told that while they were covered as far as the law was concerned, there was no guarantee that they would pay out in the event of a crash.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We are being ripped off here with the lack of competition.
I always thought you could not get valid insurance from a broker who did not operate with in the state?
(goldiefish.......cork?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also live in the ROI and the insurance situation is indeed quite dire.
But it's not all bad.
Carole Nash quoted me €700 and odd to insure a '92 AT, third party fire and theft. When I objected that RSA/Aon had quoted €540 and that I had been a customer for five years, they explained that RSA only do 3rd party, no fire or theft and that you get the roadside asistance with CN. They still dropped nearly €100 to keep me with them though.
IMHO it's worth about €100 for the roadside cover, and as I have had occasion to use it in the pissings of rain on a Dutch Motorway, I rate it as well worth having.
Then add in that my R65 and assorted vespas stay on the same policy at no extra cost and I'm not that unhappy.
On the plus side, as soon as it turns 15 yrs old, it drops to a permanently low classic rate of about €350, which I can't really argue with.
As the bike it a German import and is only getting reg'd this week, I'm pushing the dealer for as old a reg as possible. Worth it in the long run.
In the meantime I get to meander round the web looking for info on the bike and trying not to wriggle too much in anticipation.

Roll on Friday, please don't rain. :p

Børk, Børk, mit der chicken inder pot pot, Børk.[/b]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
banger said:
We are being ripped off here with the lack of competition.
I always thought you could not get valid insurance from a broker who did not operate with in the state?
(goldiefish.......cork?)
Yes. Is the accent a giveaway?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've been following this on the Irish bikers site too and I must say for younger members of the biking fraternity insurance seems completely crazy, but then again so is insurance for cars too. My eldest lad will be 16 in just over a year and is already planning to get his DT50 legal for then - I wonder how much that is going to cost. When I was in France earlier this year one of the most noticable things in the towns were the number of mopeds which you can ride at 14 there. That would be great here in rural Ireland where we have no public transport, so end up ferrying our lads around, but no such luck of course. By the way, how much would I have to pay in the UK for TPO insurance on my '99 TA, full NCB, full licence 20 years? I pay 279 euros which I don't think is that bad...

G

·
Have you tried the following company as they are linked to the Northern Ireland company Adelaide Insurance in Belfast.

0035314084100 Cornmarket

Cornmarket are based in Dublin.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I'm not sure that this is entirely helpful but as I've literally just renewed by insurance today thought I'd post up the figures as a comparison from a UK point of view.

I'm 37, with 12 years full bike licence, employed, the bike is alarmed and garaged when at home, I'm covered for travel to and from work and am allowed to take a pillion. I had a total loss claim 3 years ago when my AT was stolen for £5K.

My insurance premium for this year is £113.90 fully comp, through the brokers, Rampdale, who I've been with for a very long time.

G

·
My experience for both cars and bikes is to sit with the YellowPages and phone each broker in turn. Internet insurance for Northern Ireland (after you spend 20mins inputting all your details), results in "Your postcode does not exist, you do not live on this planet, only people in GB matter". A lot of these insurance companies seem to be the same one under a different name but they still come up with vastly different prices.

I had a stroke of luck for my wife a few months ago. She drove my car on my insurance for years but recently got her own car. One broker I tried got me a company which took into account her years of driving without a problem and allowed her the full no claims bonus. This changed the price from £2k to £350. :lol:

There are Dublin based companies which operate in the North, Axa for example who I don't think do bikes. I know for a fact there is no problem with their insurance for cars.

Yet again brokers would know who's who and what's what. At insurance renewal time I set aside two days for phoning around. It does pay off.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've stuck with the same broker since we moved to Ireland 18 years ago - probably stupidly - but I'm now with AON (who are brokers for AXA?) as Norwich Union (aka Hibernian) pulled out of bike insurance here. As I said earlier I paid 279 euro a few days ago - apparantly I could have got the same policy direct for 200 euro.... I think next time I'll take your advice Gerry! As for the difference between UK and Ireland - still sounds like a rip off here.... I'm nearly 50, had a full bike licence for 20+ years, full NCB and live in a nice rural environment and I pay more than you, Dave, for Third Party only! Even if I had phoned around, it'd still be more....

G

·
Any updates on this ? I've been Hibernian all my riding life (11 or so years) but they're pulling out now. I was paying 700 euros fully comp on the Blackbird and am paying 400 comp on the AT. For comparison Carole Nash wanted 2,800 for the Blackbird and want 1,300 for the AT, not comp - that's taking the piss that is, over three times the price for either bike, and there's no way I'm paying nearly double what I was paying for a superbike just to ride a trail bike.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aon should quote you, seeing as you have a No Claims bonus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts