Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the threads in realtion to this but couldn't find anything. Here's my problem.. There is a grating rattle coming from the front wheel of the bike. Fearing it was a bearing problem I brought it to a Honda bike garage and they said it was just the speedo that needed a bit of grease and charged me accordingly. The problem is still there and it driving me cuckoo. It very noticable on low speeds when driving. If i rotate the wheel when its off the ground there is no rattle. Has anyone experienced this:confused:

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
What discs do you have? Are they floating discs? Does it happen under braking? Go back to the shop and tell em to fix it properly??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I presume that the discs are standard. I don't know what floating discs are.:confused: Ya it happens under braking too. They charged me 50 quid already for a bit of grease so god knows what they'd dream up to fix it. If it was something straight forward enough I'd be happy to give it a go myself.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Floating discs come in two main parts - the hub section bolts to the hub and the disc section does around this - what connects the two are a series of "buttons" that hold disc and carrier in line - it allows slight movement and does in some cases rattle if the buttons are loose/worn.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
It sounds like something is fouling something else - get the bike on the centre stand and get a fat bugger to sit on the back (or use a jack) to lift the front and rotate - check round the brake callipers, look under the mudguard etc and see if anything is out of place, you could also try taking off one calliper, then the other etc, basically trial and error.

As an aside, does it feel like the bars are rattling/knocking at all? It could be the bead bearings - is it worse on a bumpy road?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Floating discs come in two main parts - the hub section bolts to the hub and the disc section does around this - what connects the two are a series of "buttons" that hold disc and carrier in line - it allows slight movement and does in some cases rattle if the buttons are loose/worn.

[/QUOT

It's not a floating disc just checked, its just one piece. Learn something new every day :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like something is fouling something else - get the bike on the centre stand and get a fat bugger to sit on the back (or use a jack) to lift the front and rotate - check round the brake callipers, look under the mudguard etc and see if anything is out of place, you could also try taking off one calliper, then the other etc, basically trial and error.

As an aside, does it feel like the bars are rattling/knocking at all? It could be the bead bearings - is it worse on a bumpy road?
I did that earlier and when i spun the wheel there was no noticable noise and i managed to get it up to 20kph with some frantic hand action:). There didn't seem to be anything visibly obstructing it. Will probably do that and try and work out what it is. Forgot to say that the speedo needle bounces at low speeds. Would it be a big/awkward job to replace teh speedo cable or cogs?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I'm assuming that the front wheel is fitted straight otherwise it makes a clicking noise as the discs don't sit quite right compared to the calipers.

·
Registered
779 Posts
the fact that it only happens when there's load on the tyre means that it's most likely to be something caused by the front suspension being loaded. Are all cables routed correctly, nothing catching and rattling?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the fact that it only happens when there's load on the tyre means that it's most likely to be something caused by the front suspension being loaded. Are all cables routed correctly, nothing catching and rattling?
Ya they all seem to be routed as per the book. It more of a grating noise than a rattle and seems to be in sequence with the revolutions of teh wheels ie faster the wheels rotates that quicker the frequency of the noise.:sad1: I think maybe if i take it apart in stages i might be able to eliminate causes. (futters idea i know;))

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm assuming that the front wheel is fitted straight otherwise it makes a clicking noise as the discs don't sit quite right compared to the calipers.
I can only presume that it is, the last person that would have taken it off was a Honda mechanic. I didn't realise that you could get a clicking and grating noise from the discs like that. You might have something there :thumbleft:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I can only presume that it is, the last person that would have taken it off was a Honda mechanic. I didn't realise that you could get a clicking and grating noise from the discs like that. You might have something there :thumbleft:
The front axle has to be lined up with the right hand (speedo side) fork before the axle clamp nuts are tightened, it doesn't just naturally line up. If the clamp is tightened with the axle incorrectly lined up you do get a rythmic noise. Occasionally I have had it only when the bike is being ridden, with no noise when just rotating the wheel.

Easy to check, just look at the front fork/clap and make sure the axle shoulder is flush with the machined face of the clamp (you will have to remove the plastic fork guard to see. The two yellow lines I have drawn in this picture should be together before tightening the axle clamp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just had a gander at my own machine and took a few pics does it look alright? Thanks for your help by the way:thumbright:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Right, well first of all the axle isn't in line and second of all the clamp looks as if it has been tightened incorrectly.

Loosen all four nuts.

Push the axle till it's shoulder is flush with the outside of the raised bit of the fork/clamp. It's sitting a little too far out at the moment in your pics.

Tighten only the top two nuts (don't go mad or you'll break the studs).

When the top two are tightened, only then should you tighten the bottom two nuts.

This should leave you with the clamp tight at the top with a small gap at the bottom. Doing all four nuts up together risks fracturing the clamp itself.

Try riding the bike again and see if the sound has gone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks lad for your help you're a gentleman and a scholar. I'll do that tomorrow and let you know how I get on:thumbright:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Don't overtighten those nuts!! They're not meant to be tight by any stretch of the imagination and that little plate is surprisingly easy to crack if you're cack handed with the wrench.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Probably no help at all but when i got mine i had a rattle at low speed and on bumps, turnd out to be one of the black plastic plates on the side of the wheel.
I looked at every thing, wheel on and off a couple of times to find it was such a simple thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No joy unfortunately:( The rattle is still there. Was careful with the nuts and didn't go mental in tightening them. I can see the plastic plates on teh sides of the wheels but neither appear to be loose.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
If the speedo needle is erratic it could be the cable has started to and fraying bits are making a noise - take it off and pull the inner out - check it carefully including for any bits left in speedo head.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts