Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to get a rapid rattling/buzz coming from the insider the clutch cover on start-up. It goes away after about 10 seconds. I took off the clutch cover expecting a loose tab washer on the clutch - but that's fine. I notice that the oil pump driven gear can be rattled a bit, though. There is some play where the teeth mesh with the smaller gear (drive gear?) , which could be the cause of the rattle. Does anyone know whether the gears are supposed to mesh so snugly that they don't rattle? Perhaps I just need to get a new driven gear and the problem will go away? Also, the driven gear is not held on by a circlip or anything - which seems odd. It looks like it's just supposed to sit on the shaft and stay there. Is that right? The manual just says "remove". Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've started to get a rapid rattling/buzz coming from the insider the clutch cover on start-up. It goes away after about 10 seconds. I took off the clutch cover expecting a loose tab washer on the clutch - but that's fine. I notice that the oil pump driven gear can be rattled a bit, though. There is some play where the teeth mesh with the smaller gear (drive gear?) , which could be the cause of the rattle. Does anyone know whether the gears are supposed to mesh so snugly that they don't rattle? Perhaps I just need to get a new driven gear and the problem will go away? Also, the driven gear is not held on by a circlip or anything - which seems odd. It looks like it's just supposed to sit on the shaft and stay there. Is that right? The manual just says "remove". Thanks for any advice.
The drive gear is not held on it snugly fits on the oil pump shaft

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Thanks. Do you think there should be any play between the 2 gears? The gear doesn't look worn, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool. Thanks. Do you think there should be any play between the 2 gears? The gear doesn't look worn, though.
On my bike there is definitely some lash(slight movement).
In my opinion the oil pump is the real Achilles heel on a dominator the slightest ingress of any foreign body
In the oil pump can wreck the top end.
I know from experience (and expense)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts