Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as It was a frosty Morning In Aberdeenshire , I waited until 0900 before setting off up north ( not wanting any nasty surprises in shady corners J ).

Still a bit of last week ends snow lurking about, but day warming up nicely

Usual route A944 A939 through Strathdon over the lecht Ski resort (quite busy ...) to Tomintoul and then on to Grantown-on Spey, A938 picking up the A9 just before Slochd roads not to clever , still load of grit and melt water runoff but no Black Ice, as it had warmed up a treat 7C J
Then to Inverness .. over the bridge and The Black Isle and onto the services at Alness fuel and a bowl of Scotch Broth ( what else J ) then the B9176 to pick up the A836 and get a view of Dornoch and Cambuscurrie bay.

Then North through Bonar Bridge to Lairg and run past Loch Shin
Usual obstacles on the road J

and onto Altanaharra Ben Klibreck to the right and Ben Hee to the left
Looking gloomy up north L

Worth the View

Altnaharra looking south

Single track road to Tongue for the next 30 miles past Loch Loyal and Loch Craggie with Ben Loyal to the left and Beinn Stumanadh to the right as i head in to the gloomy North

Looking South

Then on the Kyle of Tongue
Looking North to Tongue

A very windy Causeway over the Kyle of Tongue, ( one or two gusts lifting the bike of its side stand L )

Then on to Durness on the A838 again single track and very very windy.. got moved right across the track more than once ......

The beach Just North of Rispond Looking onto Eilean Hoan, just before Smoo Cave

Then to Durness and check out the campsite at Sango Bay.. Looking east over the bay from a very windy cliff top . Camp site neat and tidy already for opening. As its out of season its free to camp but the facilities are not available.. Opens mid April J An option but i would prefer to rough camp on on eof the bays just south of here .. ( another excuse to head North )

Now for the Run to Ullapool J
Looking a bit bleak.. some light drizzle

View from the first View point Laxford Bridge

Then on to Scourie and on to Ullapool
Just North of Ullapool the Twin clocks its first 100,000 Km

A fine place to celebrate this event

[/SIZE][URL="http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/data/1111/medium/DSCF0470.JPG%5b/img"][SIZE=3]http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/data/1111/medium/DSCF0470.JPG[/img[/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=3]][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Sun getting low over Loch Broom as I arrive at the Arch Inn Ullapool .. Beer and Steak :-) ( after I have thawed out...... ) I way lying down [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][IMG]http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/data/1111/medium/DSCF0472.JPG

Late full Breakfast and pack the bike... Not many folk about this time of year

Weather fine , not the rain that was forecast so decided to head to Alford via Applecross A832 single track again and now have big black goats on the road !! can it get any worse?

West along Loch Broom with An Teallach rising on the left .. getting cold as I get higher

Then into Griunard Bay ( gave the island a miss L ) Lock Ewe Gairloch Past Lock Marie then on to Torridon Ben Eighe And the slab that is Liathach covered in cold mist then on to Shieldag

Single track ( very ) road to Applecross, Just North of Applecross even bigger things on the road !!

Then on to Applecross . looking south across the bay to the Inn

Applecross Inn.. on a sunny afternoon and only one lone Africa Twin.. must be March !!

Looking North across the Bay from the Inn

Asked at the Inn if the pass was open.. ( it was damaged and impassable in November ) been repaired but on Friday had closed due to snow showers and trapped a few locals but it was now open so I thought I would head back Home that way...... ya gota love Scotland nice and warm at sea level

The pass is very narrow in places and you can’t turn around ( well not without Steve T ) so I kept going

Coming down out of the cold cloudy pass

At the bottom

Well just have 3 hours to get home J home just after 6pm 574 miles

Equinox challenge good training for the TLD.. but this one is done solo J

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's some wee jaunt there Ray. Great pictures too. :thumbup:
Hi Lutin
a wee jaunt indeed :) the pass was tricky as the real narrow section across the top of the moor were icy and there was a wicked cross wind in places 60mph fog!! well high cloud... had a few .. WTF Am I doing moments but the Bike just wanted to go on :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Wonderfull post, will now plot the route on the map. Thanks. Been to Applecross but not on a bike, its a lovelly place. I went to work on the bike today for the first time this year. I arrived home happy till I read this adventure then went green with envy.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice ride Ray

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Nice one Ray. Brings back memories of my trip round Scotland last year. Cant wait to do it again.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Well done Ray,

Sorry couldn't hook up on the Sunday, I was suffering post Murrayfield headaches, didn't get back till late Saturday night ;)

Nice pics, looks like you reasonable weather most of the time :thumbup:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
574 miles in two days. Very close to the 630 odd miles I did, over two days, from Galway to Thurso when Rachel was on sabbatical. Didn't stop to take many photos though.
Remember it well, you put a few miles under your belt then :thumbup:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice one Ray, that scenery is just fantastic :thumb:

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Great report! And they are some lovely pictures there, nice with the snow on the hills.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ray . what a great report and excellent pictures .

Hats off from me , for doing the ride in less than perfect conditions.

Thanks for posting :blob3:
Hi Craig weather was not too bad
think The camp site at Durness is worth a visit :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well done Ray,

Sorry couldn't hook up on the Sunday, I was suffering post Murrayfield headaches, didn't get back till late Saturday night ;)

Nice pics, looks like you reasonable weather most of the time :thumbup:
Hi John ,

Just a few rain showers , great considering the time of year.. roads are a bit rough in places but the Durness Ullapool road is fine :)

caught the highlights of England snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the Pub in Ullapool, with some Irish folk.. few beers my self :)

Lutin as I was on my own I just kept stopping for pics.. not many on the Durness road as it was dry and.... :) thought I would rag the last few mm off my slick Tourances

wheels off tonight.. TKCs ready to go on

Don't know why folk are envious Scotlands not what its cracked up to be.. those are photoshop thingies.. dont come its crap .. honest ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha Ray .. you made me laugh out loud ..

Of course you are quite right
there was nothing on the roads.. well wildlife , angora goats sheep.. highland coows.. saw one other bike coming up the road to Durness..

awful place really .. quite dull.. beaches deserted ... ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Another great report Ray :) :thumbright:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts