Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the bike up after not using it for a few days and noticed a fuel leak on the left hand side.
Had to use the choke as normal and probably flooded it in the process.
At first it dripped enough to reach the floor but after a couple of mins it stopped, and then ran the bike for 15 mins without leaks.
The fuel seem to come from the upper region of the carb.
I have already replace the feed pipes from the pump to the carbs so hopefully it not that.
Is there an over flow higher up on the carb somewhere ?
The bike does take longer to start after standing for a few days but the choke seems to work normally.
Gone back and ran the bike a few times and no leaks.

Any ideas chaps ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Started the bike and ran it.

No leaks, so definitely seems like an over flow issue on initial start up with choke from cold.
So where would it have leaked from ?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Theres answer venting pipe layout on rdo7s which can be copied for the rd04.

Have a search in the forum. I would but I forgot my glasses so I can barely see the screen ;-)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds to me like the float valve got stuck and the bowl overflowed through the overflow tube on top of the carb. Maybe from lying up the bowl was dry and had a bit of dirt in it. If it doesn't happen again you might be ok otherwise you'll need to take the carbs out and inspect them. You should also attached a tube to the overflow and run it down the side under the foot peg, it'll help prevent evaporation and also divert fuel out safely in the event of another overflow instead of it running out all over the engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds to me like the float valve got stuck and the bowl overflowed through the overflow tube on top of the carb. Maybe from lying up the bowl was dry and had a bit of dirt in it. If it doesn't happen again you might be ok otherwise you'll need to take the carbs out and inspect them. You should also attached a tube to the overflow and run it down the side under the foot peg, it'll help prevent evaporation and also divert fuel out safely in the event of another overflow instead of it running out all over the engine.
Ok thanks.
I'll leave it a couple of days and try again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok,
Tried the bike again this afternoon and there was a tiny dribble from the carb this time and it soon stopped.
It makes sense to accuse the float valve seat and needle but why does it stop a short time after the bike is started and then on start up when warm it doesn't do it at all ?
Took the bike for a good thrashing hoping to clear any crud that maybe causing it.
Would it be worth putting a bottle full of redex through the system ?
Will try again tomorrow when she's cold again.

Cheers Bob.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No idea! The only thing I can think of is that there is more fuel rushing into the bowl when it's been sitting so the needle doesn't seat right if it has a bit of dirt on it. Once the bike is running there less fuel running in so less likely to over flow? Redex might sort it. Worth a try any way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No idea! The only thing I can think of is that there is more fuel rushing into the bowl when it's been sitting so the needle doesn't seat right if it has a bit of dirt on it. Once the bike is running there less fuel running in so less likely to over flow? Redex might sort it. Worth a try any way.
Ok thanks,
That all makes sense.
Just started the bike now and no leak but I'll be using it for work in the morning so will check it out then.
Will let you know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts