Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the misfortune to replace my front wheel rim due to corrosion from the inside, a common fault for a bike that's 23 years old.

Trying to get a replacement via David Silver but the said rim or rims are no longer available, tried Mr EBAY but what was available was very expensive for some bent & shoddy looking wheels.

I was given a chap to call Colin Evans, who is a wheelwright, a rare trade these days, and lived local to me, gave him a call & went to meet him, as he was currently rebuilding set of XRV wheels.

Colin has been building wheels for over 30 yrs & used to race in his youth, now does this for a hobby, rebuilding countless classic bike wheels.

The price £175.00 per wheel.

That's you sending him your old one complete, and Colin rebuilding a new one using the centre hub out of the old one, takes approx 3 - 5 days.

I've now had both front & back wheels replaced.

Colins details are: Evans Classics Mr Colin Evans 2 Greenfield Cottages, Gun Lane, Rossett nr Wrexham LL12 0HR Tel No: 01244 570076

Attached a few of pics for your perusal.

So if you are looking to replacing your XRV wheels it's worth giving Colin a call.

069.jpg

080.jpg

077.jpg 075.jpg 076.jpg 072.jpg 067.jpg 102.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly a tidy job Phil, PaulS & DC were impressed when they saw the front wheel I've only put the back wheel in this morning.

For the price Colin's done a fantastic job.

He's done at least 4 XRV's now, but you can't complain about the price, looks better than my old faded gold rims.

See you on the 18th March then !

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
They look very nice Stubbsie :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
lookin' well. just to confirm, that's a new rim, s/s spokes & labour? £175.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Lovely stuff Stubbsie

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Looks pretty good. May I ask what is the brand of your front tire, and the size?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a Continental TKC 80 90/90 - 21 on the front.
On the back it's a Heidenau Scout K60 140/80 - 17.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cheers Paul,
It's turned out pretty good I think, rather personalised so to speak, but not too ostentatious but eye catching.
Glad you approve mate.
The price is very reasonable too, the pics have turned out well to show them off.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Foz,
That's the whole price £175.00 new rim, spokes & labour.
It was £175.00 per wheel total cost £350.00.

Trying to find a wheelwright is pretty difficult I think, and some I believe charge a fortune that's before rims, spokes etc.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It doesn't look right to me, some of the spokes on the rear wheel look like they are bent!?

your right they do a little but its only the odd lad like your self would cop it or mind but your right to say so . im sure they are trued and will last another 20 years . I myself am smiling at my reflection in the lovely shine off them :lol: I think they look great and its a stunning looking bike .

hear in Ireland I know of 2 places that rebuild wheels Leo Reily in Dublin and Meskals in limerick . I cant vouch for either never having any work done by either only letting people know that they provide the service .

what brand are the rims do you know Stubbsie ?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't want to spoil the mood but I personally wouldn't be too happy if I paid for something new and it isn't quite right. The price is great (so wondering what those rims are), and the wheels will probably last a long time, but...
I showed pics yesterday to a friend who builds wheels, and btw beside Woody in USA is the only one I know of that can work on BMW X laced wheels, and he said that it is possible that the rim holes aren't drilled at the correct angles or the spokes don't have correct bend in them.

077.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts