Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So my bike is 30 years old next year,
It just passed the 100,000km mark last month and it also took me and my wife on a 60,000km tour over the last year and half so it deserve a bit of attention :)

My plan is to strip the bike down, repaint the frame, service the engine.
Then everything else’s will get striped down and either replaced or service depending on condition.

My goal is to keep the bike as original as possible.

I will post updates here for who ever is interested :)

Traveling The World Two Up on a 1989 Africa Twin 650.

Updates Here:
www.instagram.com/Africa.Twin.Adventures
www.facebook.com/DHealy91

·
XRV750, BMW S1000RR
43 Posts
good on you man
i wish i knew how to do that. i would love to do exactly that to my broken engine bike .
but i hardly know any mechanical work and work 6 days a week almost
basic tools!!! and no parts for XRV in this part of the world (Canada)
wish i could do this! without having to use a professional mechanic here for $100 / hour!!! makes it a $5000 job

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice. More pics:thumbup:

Reactions: DHealy91

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removed the pistons and found scoring on the sides then measured the cylinders to find out they’re worn also.
It would be a waste of time resembling the engine like this so looks like it’s getting bored up by 0.25
There’s nothing else to do with the engine until parts arrive so the frame is next

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The frame is almost ready for paint, just another 4-5 hours of cleaning! White sprits & engine degreaser work fantastic.
Most of this week my attention has been going into my shitty Suzuki scooter witch started having electrical problems, all is good now and I hope to buy a Honda scooter in the near future

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just finished spraying the frame
2 cans of Hammerite Smooth White and two cans of lacquer,
I could of used another can of Hammerite but I’m happy with the finish, there’s one or two runny spots so it’s not perfect but it’s better then it was and now a better protected frame.
Now the next step is the engine but parts might not arrive for two more weeks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original paint on the engine cases is in good condition but is starting to wear so they are getting 3 costs of lacquer for protection. They will sit with the frame for about two weeks to fully dry and then the engine will start getting resembled and put back into the frame

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks good. :)

Reactions: DHealy91

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the frame looks great it will last well too that's good paint . seeing as your going all out and the crank covers are off it think it would be well worth repainting them . I have a vague memory of someone doing a rebuild thread on hear and getting hold of the correct paint code . it looked fantastic like it left the factory I though and well worth the expense and effort but at the same time it very easy to spend other peoples money and do their work with a few taps on a keyboard ;) great thread thanks for sharing :thumbright:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the frame looks great it will last well too that's good paint . seeing as your going all out and the crank covers are off it think it would be well worth repainting them . I have a vague memory of someone doing a rebuild thread on hear and getting hold of the correct paint code . it looked fantastic like it left the factory I though and well worth the expense and effort but at the same time it very easy to spend other peoples money and do their work with a few taps on a keyboard ;) great thread thanks for sharing :thumbright:
Hi, thank you ,
I’m going to keep the original paint on the cases, there in good condition and I’m trying to keep the bike as original as possible.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Loving the thread too as I've got this one to do next year (1989)
I'm with you on the 'keep original' approach for these RD03s. Mine's got great character that I want to keep and like your lead.
Out of interest, did you do a pressure test on the cylinders before strip down? Only asking as my bike has done about the same mileage
and a friend advised me to do a pressure test and leave the engine alone if within spec.

IMG_0414.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm with you on the 'keep original' approach for these RD03s. Mine's got great character that I want to keep and like your lead.
Out of interest, did you do a pressure test on the cylinders before strip down? Only asking as my bike has done about the same mileage
and a friend advised me to do a pressure test and leave the engine alone if within spec.

View attachment 125098
Hi,
No I didn’t pressure test,
My reasons for opening the engine was the gaskets where leaking badly and the engine was burning a lot of oil, when I checked the piston rings they where worn so I dug further and that led to the over bore

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All the black painted parts are done! Two coats of Paint & two coats of lacquer. The rear sub frame paint is almost perfect so doesn’t need to be repainted but it will get two coats of lacquer.
Next all the silver painted parts will need to be done, triple clamp, fork legs + more

·
I can ride all day.
362 Posts

View attachment 125098
Did you buy that in London last year?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 86 Posts