Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if the spacing between my right fork and the speedometer is correct, because it seems rather large. This results in my brake disc almost rubbing up against one of the sides of my caliper on the other side (yes, the calipers are sliding freely from what I can tell). The space I'm referring to is shown below:

It seems like a rather large space. I measured it at about 8.75 mm with some calipers, but I was wondering if this distance is normal... I am wondering if I'm missing a spacer or something or if this is normal.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In mine this gap is about 5,80mm. I think that you have to loosen these 4 bolts, push the fork and tighten them again.
But it seems that this gap is not responcible for the problem in the disc brake on the other side...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The distance between my disc and the caliper looks like it is too close by a matter of mm, so the fact that I have 3 mm more than you may indicate something.

The spacing is affected by the number of washers. Looking at the bike from the front, if I am missing a spacer somewhere on the right side of the wheel, then the whole wheel is shifted to the right by the thickness of the missing spacer. If the whole wheel is slightly shifted, my disc would rub against my caliper, and the speedometer, which would move with the wheel, would also be shifted to the right, creating that slightly larger gap.

Anyone else with an AT have a smaller gap than I do?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
If the stanchion of the left (or right for that matter) fork leg is even slightly bent, it could cause the distance between each fork to be greater than it should be.

Try the following.

Get the front of the bike securely in the air.
Loosen the clamp nuts on the upper and lower yoke enough to turn the stanchions by hand (do one side at a time)
Turn the stanchion and see if the gap between the left and right forks changes (leave the axle clamp nuts loose and axle slightly loose)
If it does, you may have one or both forks bent, in which case they will need professional straightening or replacement.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but how can I turn the stanchion and fork if the axle is still in? Do you mean take the axle out and twist the fork leg in the yokes and see if the distance between the stanchions remains constant? If the forks are not bent, then the distance will remain constant no?

Thanks.

If the stanchion of the left (or right for that matter) fork leg is even slightly bent, it could cause the distance between each fork to be greater than it should be.

Try the following.

Get the front of the bike securely in the air.
Loosen the clamp nuts on the upper and lower yoke enough to turn the stanchions by hand (do one side at a time)
Turn the stanchion and see if the gap between the left and right forks changes (leave the axle clamp nuts loose and axle slightly loose)
If it does, you may have one or both forks bent, in which case they will need professional straightening or replacement.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts